rust treatment? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2003, 01:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post rust treatment?

Can anyone tell me anything about PICKLEX-20 rust treatment?It sounds good but I would like to hear from someone who has used it before I try it.Is it as good as POR-15? POR-15 sounds good too but it seems like it is not as simple to use.Which is better?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2003, 01:28 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

PICKLEX-20 isn't a long term preventative product and its water soluable so it definatly won't stand up to moisture. From what I can see all it is; is a rust converter just like an acid, just safer to use than acid. That stuff is just a product to convert and kill rust, not kill and prevent rust. POR-15 has the same basic product called Metal Ready, they use it as a prep step before their polyurethane coating. Metal Ready kills the rust and covers it with a zinc coating, then you apply the POR-15 polyurethane moisture hatrdening coating that will bond to the metals serface and seal the metal to prevent rust from ever forming. The POR-15 seals the metal from any oxygen and moisture so rust can't form and since POR-15 is hardened by moisture it will definatly stand the test of time. PICKLEX-20 is water soluable so after that stuff gets washed away if the metal is not sealed directly after application your right back wear you started. PICKLEX-20 is $30+ for 16oz and POR-15 Metal Ready 20oz is just $13. Plus you have to buy something to seal the steel after you kill the rust so thats primer sealer or POR-15 or Zero Rust I do beleive its called.

HK
Old 02-18-2003, 01:39 PM

Last photo:

If the treatment you are looking for is for the exterior, Ospho is a good product(Phos acid). Remove as much rust as you can, apply Ospho,wait 48 hrs,remove the residue & prime w/Epoxy primer.
POR 15 is a excellent product for the floors but, is not recommended for exterior body use...For best results contact your local auto body supplier.
A good web site is www.autobodystore.com

[ February 18, 2003: Message edited by: Don Meyer ]</p>
Old 02-18-2003, 02:03 PM

Last photo:

What I have is about 2-3 square foot area on the roof and hood,all surface rust{no rust through}that I have sandblasted under low pressure but I can not seem to get all of the rust pits 100% clean.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:13 PM

I have (had ) the exact same problem on my Nova . I have sanded and removed all surface rust possible. Then i put on a coat of rust encapsulator(with a rag) and while it was still wet i used coarse steel wool and scrubbed the entire area . Wiped the whole area down with mineral spirits let dry then put on a second coat of rust encapsulator let dry over night then primed with PPG DPLLF epoxy primer. Will use a sanding primer to fill any small pits left , just before putting on finish color . It seems to be working for me . Let me know how yours turns out
Old 02-18-2003, 09:18 PM

Last photo:

here is my input Ihave been useing PPG DP epoxy primers for years and have have no trouble one in mind is a 55 GMC truck that I striped and used DP 90 and has been outside in the rain and sun for 3 years and has no rust it may cost a little more but its is worth it
Old 02-18-2003, 09:24 PM

Last photo:

[quote]Originally posted by oldred:
<strong>What I have is about 2-3 square foot area on the roof and hood,all surface rust{no rust through}that I have sandblasted under low pressure but I can not seem to get all of the rust pits 100% clean.</strong><hr></blockquote>I use SEM rust mort I treated my mothers car with it 8 years ago and to this day no rust it worked for me so take it as you may

[ February 18, 2003: Message edited by: Mirror Image ]</p>

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.