rust under paint - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2005, 10:26 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

rust under paint

I'm getting ready to attempt my own body work on my chevelle wagon. I have been reading some of the postings under this section and and have gotten the basics but have one question before I start. Most of the postings say to apply sealer primer before starting the filling. My car has the original paint and is a west coast car. The finish is very rough and I am told that this is rust under the now thin paint. Do I sand to bare metal first or how do I get started?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2005, 02:02 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

You have to sand the sections where you suspect rust down to the bare metal. That's the only way to make sure you get rid of the rust. Then coat the area with a good quality epoxy primer to seal the bare metal from moisture and provide a good surface for body filler. If the finish is as rough as you say then you might think about taking the whole car down to bare metal so your new paint job will have a good surface to adhere to.

The only correct way to fill rust holes if you have them is to weld in a patch panel. Trying to fill them with body filler will only work temporarily and you won't be satisfied with the results.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:53 PM

Last photo:

Like Centerline said and if I can add one thing, the rust under paint is because there is lacquer on the car and that what lacquer causes as it breaks down.

Car MUST be stripped or wasting your time.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:39 PM

Last photo:

Yep, strip to baremetal is what you should do. After you have done all the hard work making it right, I suggest you clean it often as well as wash underneath, wheelwells, keep mud and dirt from packing in corners. Being in the midwest, its a constant battle fighting rust. Hopefully it will stay away from the salt trucks in the winter.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:51 AM

thank you for the help

next Friday, the 28th is my last day of work. I'm retiring from ford motor, then it is just me and my chevelle. I cant wait to get started on the body.thanks again to all of you for your help
Old 10-19-2005, 10:55 AM

Last photo:

Congradulations on the retirement! I hope I can afford to do that someday. After all those years at Ford you're going to spend some quality time with the Chev you love.....I like that.

Check out SPI (Southern Polyurethanes Inc.) for your epoxy primer, primer surfacer and clears. I've been using many different epoxies for many years now and recently started using/testing SPI, In my opinion it looks to be the best bare metal primer available.

Last edited by baddbob; 10-19-2005 at 11:01 AM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.