rust and vinyl tops??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2002, 02:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post rust and vinyl tops???

is there anyway to prevent rust from forming under the vinyl top of my gm. is it worth the trouble or should i simply deep six the sucker??? (not the car the top)

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2002, 06:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

There is a simple device used in helicopter rotor blades that might work. It is called a leading edge strip and is used on composite blades to prevent leading edge erosion near the root, edge strips nearer the tip are made of stainless steel but at the root it is only a strip of vinyl for protection. It works well there because the air flow is not as high as near the tip. Aerospatiale blades use this type of protection on their 350's.

To apply the vinyl you use Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) as a solvent to soften and make the vinyl sticky and then apply to your paint. Sticks like mad so you have to work it a section at a time but it works great and prevents water infiltration from causing corrosion. You could cut up old water bed bladders for the liner, they are virgin soft vinyl. I have used this technique for protecting fiberglass boat bottoms from keel scratches when landing on a beach or on rocks, I use a heavy gauge vinyl in this type of application.

To remove just use a heat gun on low and a rigid plastic spatula to strip off the majority and then a rag soaked in MEK to remove the residue, voilá you have perfectly virgin paint underneath with no corrosion due to the water tight bond.

I have never done a surface as large as a roof but have done many boat keels this way and the water never gets underneath even on aluminum hulls. Since you don't need a real heavy gauge vinyl on the roof it should be easy since you can stretch it to remove the wrinkles. Might be worth a try on a keeper? Just remember to work slowly and not use too much MEK, just enough to make the vinyl tacky.
Old 04-12-2002, 08:59 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Little tip on MEK (methyl Ethyl Ketone) it will clean anyuthing off of anywhere, its awsome stuff, its very very flamable and can eat through anything and it will give you that costly chemical peal that rich oold ladies pay $5000 for at a spa, hehe, but just be carful with it, DEHEC told our shop we had to quit using it, they say its very bad for you, good of them to tell me after I've been using it foir 5 yrs, hehe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2002, 06:18 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

MEK is safe to use on all paints except for laquer. It has similar properties to alcohol and evaporates at nearly the same rate, make sure you use plenty of ventilation and wear rubber gloves. I used the stuff at one place in huge vats to remove laquer paint from Bell 204/206 blades, I was not too pleased to hear that it was labelled a carcinogenic later either. We used to be up to our elbows in the stuff with the ony immediate side effect being dry skin, of course I know better now.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.