Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - RUST..What are the acceptable permanent ways to get rid of it?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 06:55 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMR
The problem with this thread is, after 13 pages, it doesn't do anything for the backyard builder. People don't want miracles, they just want their jalopy not to rust while they work on it. But not everyone can afford what people are pushing here. Doing it "the right way" costs a lot of money for people just starting out. Sure, a good can of epoxy primer isn't that expensive, but getting to where you can spray it is. Paint booth, spray guns, ventilation, filters, PPE gear, and so on, all that stuff adds up to a big chunk of change.
CMR ,Your are exactly the kind of enthusiest I'm posting for...and my sole reason for joining HR.I've been in this biz for 35 yrs and know some pretty good ways to save a buck some that other old timers showed me and some I figured out on my own but trust me there are some things that you just CANT skimp on.
EPOXY PRIMER and metal prep are very important.
There are some pretty good ways to get around the expense of just about everything else.(like homemade paint booths).I was once in your shoes and have tried many ways do do things ,not all have worked so I can help you guys avoid making the same mistakes and help you along with the things that have worked ,how well and what works best....money is to valuable to waste ,so everything I use is the best bang for the buck...
Stripping and preping metal is not that hard ,any one can do a proper job that will last without a lot of experience...you can skimp on everything else because most guys arent pros and cant do the same quality work with bondo and paint so skimp there ,it doesn't make sense to me to have a newbie spend thousands of dollars on the best materials and end up with a so so quality job....It takes years to achieve the level of talent pros have ,you simply cant get there without time, and a good teacher can only get you so far.So buy a cheaper paint and clear and other materials where the lack of experience wont matter....theres some very good deals out there on paint and materials to do the whole job for under 500.00 but thats about as cheap as you want to go and still get a decent job that lasts ....
The metal work is about the least expensive part to get right as far as materials goes so dont skimp on it...