Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - RUST..What are the acceptable permanent ways to get rid of it?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2004, 02:23 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
I have to admit, I didn't go to your link until now. It is very informative and appears to be well documented. Now, all that means is it has opened a door that I am willing to accept. Neither I or anyone else should take it as gospel. Micheal Moores "documentries" look pretty fact based on the surface and are anything but.

That "disclaimer" aside I understand your point. I am willing to say as I always have there is a place for the product. The thing is, the newbe who reads the ridiculas claims I have seen and believe it, that bothers me to now end. The issues of ecology don't have much of a part in the discussion. So, that being said, if the home hobbiest where to have his frame sandblasted and then prime it with a quality epoxy or etch and epoxy and then apply a quality urethane SS paint, I feel that is the proper way to finish a classic (even if only in the owners mind) car. Not slather on some POR over rust. And the thought of POR under real auto paint on the exterior makes my skin crawl. Yet you will read about people doing that.

As I have said many times, I am a STAUNCH advocate for the home hobbiest. I love seeing the accountant who didn't know a wrench from a screw driver get out in his garage and restore a car. If there is a place for those "magic potion" products in his project I have no problem with that. As long as he FULLY understands it's limits. I much rather see him with POR under the carpet with the car completely done and a smile on his face driving down the road. However, if he is after something better, I want him to know what that could be.
That is all I am trying to say.