Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - RUST..What are the acceptable permanent ways to get rid of it?
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2004, 09:13 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well I know I said I had no more to say BUT, the problem here is when someone falls for all the sales bull$#!^ and uses this stuff when conventional products would be a lot better. In my case I read many glowing reports about por 15 being the end of all rust and the absolute best rust preventer. After more research and listening to some common sense points about "miracle cures" I am now convinced I would have been far better off to have used epoxy on the rust free underside of my mustang, but then I was accused of being deaf,blind and ignorant because I was unwilling to CAUSE rust inside the doors just so I could use this crap! I would think that por might be used on something that is hopelessly rusted and not feasible to repair any other way(I use the term "repair" loosely here) but I cannot at this point see myself using it on a quality restoration or anything that I expect to last any length of time. "Wire mesh and bondo" have given home body repair a bad rap and in my opinion products like the so called rust cures only add to the problem. I will probably get hit with a lot of flack for saying that but although I am not a pro I still like to do things right so that I can be satisfied that what I get when I am finished will look right and LAST! There may be many different ways to do body repair right but simply covering rust and especially ADDING rust just does not make sense to me. If someone is thinking about using this stuff then my advice would be to take good look at the situation and then ask your self honestly what it would take in terms of trouble and expense to repair it if it fails? Be aware that once applied it can be a nightmare to remove almost nothing will stick to it once cured.