Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   RUST..What are the acceptable permanent ways to get rid of it? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/rust-what-acceptable-permanent-ways-get-rid-47303.html)

Rocket1 09-07-2004 10:51 PM

RUST..What are the acceptable permanent ways to get rid of it?

The subject pretty much says it. I know for a fact that sand blasting is oxidations end for sure, but is there any other method that will treat this problem?

Restore60s 09-08-2004 04:28 AM

Controlling Rust

Look at www.eastwood.com they have a great selection in products for controlling rust since they are in the restoration field. I've not had any problems with their products. I've used their rust encapsulator on several different metals after sandblasting and I have not seen any lifting or cracking of them after being painted in years. --------Keith:thumbup:

Randy Ferguson 09-08-2004 05:02 PM

OH,Cut it out!!!!!

Randy

Rocket1 09-09-2004 01:08 AM

Sounds good, another thing I will definately try. But allow me to purpose this scenario.

I do not have ready access to a sandblaster. I can however, get all the rust treatment chemicals I want (of course). I have some areas in the body that have little pits in it (the kind that are impossible to get to except with either 1. chemicals or 2. sandblasting. he last thing I want to see is a few years later the paint lifting off the body because of rust appearing underneith. Will chemical treatment suffice, or should it be blasted?

BarryK 09-09-2004 05:56 PM

[ he last thing I want to see is a few years later the paint lifting off the body because of rust appearing underneith. Will chemical treatment suffice, or should it be blasted? [/B][/QUOTE]
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

If thats what your worried about I would reread Randy's statement.
Or don't listen but do yourself a favor, go to the phone book and call any 10 body shops and see if any of them use the stuff talked about. You will not find one, why would that be?
It is miracle stuff!
A further note there is a lot of experience on this board and people like Randy writes something like he did its to help you not to be a smart A**.(he was probably laughing so hard he could not finish what he wanted to say)
Most of us know all about stuff like that and so do body shop owners who must stand behind their work.

Rocket1 09-09-2004 10:57 PM

Ok, sandblast it, GOT IT! Thanks :)

Randy Ferguson 09-10-2004 12:07 AM

Barry,
You hit the nail on the head! I was trying to bring across a little fact based humor. Apparently some people didn't get it!
The only way to solve the rust problem is to get rid of it. Sandblasting won't do it! It will take care of what you see, but it will not eliminate the problem. In fact, it just may accelerate it.
Using chemicals won't do it, either. In fact, The chemical would probably accelerate the problem as well, as any chemical left behind would cause more trouble than you care to imagine.
The only true way to solve the problem is cut away the bad material and replace it with new. Minor surface rust can be treated and the fix will last several years, but I'm not certain of how bad your problem is, so I'm assuming the worst. I am picturing deep rust pits that are through or very close to it. If you only have minor surface rust, then that's a different story. It can be treated.

Randy Ferguson
Metalshaping & Kustom Paint
www.metalmeet.com

Rocket1 09-10-2004 12:30 AM

Oh well damnit.

No, it is not nearly that bad, just minor pitting and surface rust. There are some areas on my car that are rotted through but those are being completely cut out and new metal being welded in. Surface rust (paint chips, etc) I DA'ed off thoroughly. Biggest problem I have is the lovely G-body roof seam (the one that looks like hell straight from factory), and it had the vinyl top (which went straight to the devilstrip the day i bought the car) so it didn't help.

Randy Ferguson 09-10-2004 12:42 AM

OK, In that case, get yourself some naval jelly and 000 steel wool and have at it. Work in small areas, not larger than 1 foot square,
Apply the naval jelly with the steel wool and rub it in good, allow it to set for a couple minuts, but don't let it dry. After a couple minutes have passed, rub it again with the steel wool. You should see the metal getting brighter and the rust will begin to come loose and naval jelly will turn rust colored from the particles of rust. repeat this process a couple times and clean the area thoroghly with paper towels and hot soapy water. Make sure to dry the area immediately. The metal should look nice and brite when your finished. You can sand the metal with 80-180 grit before applying the epoxy primer.

Randy Ferguson

Ghetto Jet 09-10-2004 06:15 PM

In refrence to sand blasting body panels, for any reason, isn't it true that the heat will distort the metal?

Randy Ferguson 09-10-2004 07:56 PM

NO! It's not caused by the heat. It's caused by the high pressure, stretching the metal. It's like taking a tiny hammer to the metal, hitting it thousands of times per minute in a concentrated area. A good operator will know how to keep from doing this, but they are few and far between.

Randy Ferguson
Metalshaping & Kustom Paint
www.metalmeet.com

Ron M 09-10-2004 11:31 PM

If you were to look between the internal and external panels of the body shell on my 49 old Chevy Fleetline, you would notice that there is surface rust on those sections. Is there anything I can or should do about these areas. I am thinking of leaving them since the car has lasted 55 years so far, and it will be garaged most of the time. Since she has made it this long, I do however feel obligated to give her the longest life I can. Any thoughts or experiences on this subject? I was also wondering what they do about this area on some of the show cars I see. I have seen more customized Cadillacs and so on of this type of vintage in in recent years. How do they handle surface rust in those body cavities?

MARTINSR 09-12-2004 07:54 AM

Ron, you are one of the first guys I have seen on this or any other forum with the common sense God gave you. :) That surface rust on the inside is likely not going to hurt a darn thing in the future.

MOST all cars from prior to total dipping and "E" coat techologies being what they are today, were simply sprayed by men with guns. They didn't get into every nook and crannie and they didn't get up under the insides of quarters and things like that. They didn't get up under the roof skin very well if at all and left bare metal all over the place.
This bare metal is a lot of times gets a little surface rust on it, and isn't going to go nuts. It hasn't in the last forty to sixty years and it isn't going to in the next forty to sixty years.

Unless you plan on letting the inside of your car get wet all the time, it will stay just as it is (or near to it) for ever.

I read all the time about guys applying "POR" on every square inch of all that minor rust, it is just a waste of time and money.

In the lower sections like inside quarters, sure it is a good idea, THAT is a place where it could get moisture that will sit a while and do some damage. But up on the sides of the roof posts and the like, it isn't going to get wet and say wet.

It is a judgment call on where to protect and where not to, I agree. But to think every speck of the minor surface rust is a death sentence is way over blown.

:welcome:

Randy Ferguson 09-12-2004 03:01 PM

Well Guys,
I guess since the rest of us don't have any common sense, we just as well abandon ship, huh!!

later

Randy Ferguson

MARTINSR 09-12-2004 06:50 PM

Randy, come on now, I hope you are kidding. :) Ron and I are not even talking about the subject of this thread. We are talking about the minor surface rust that is there, but not seen and is on just about every car.

I hope you didn't take it in someway as a barb at what you have said here.
I was going to comment on at as well.

"You hit the nail on the head! I was trying to bring across a little fact based humor. Apparently some people didn't get it!
The only way to solve the rust problem is to get rid of it. Sandblasting won't do it! It will take care of what you see, but it will not eliminate the problem. In fact, it just may accelerate it.
Using chemicals won't do it, either. In fact, The chemical would probably accelerate the problem as well, as any chemical left behind would cause more trouble than you care to imagine.
The only true way to solve the problem is cut away the bad material and replace it with new. Minor surface rust can be treated and the fix will last several years, but I'm not certain of how bad your problem is, so I'm assuming the worst. I am picturing deep rust pits that are through or very close to it. If you only have minor surface rust, then that's a different story. It can be treated"

That was right on the money Randy.