Rustoleum painting question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 02:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rustoleum painting question

I know that this topic may have been discussed over and over here, but I have a few specific questions.

I have a 69 vette that has an aftermarket fiberglass hood. I have been wanting to paint the hood, but I the quotes that i have been getting are in the range of $400-600. The car needs a new paint in the next couple of years, so I don't want to spend $400-600 for just painting the hood.

I was thinking of doing a quick rustoleum job now to make it look a little more presentable till I get around painting the whole car in the next few years.

So... my questions are...
1) How can I color match rustoleum paint to match the color of the car?
2) How can I add some metallic look to rustoleum so that it matches the car?

Thanks
Raj

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 02:42 PM

Last photo:

1) You probably can't.

2) You probably can't.

You will create a mess if you shoot it with Rustoleum; if you don't sand it all off come real paint job time it'll more than likely cause you problems.

Why not find a Kirker SS color that's a close match? You could even go rice and shoot it flat black. This product will be much more compatible with any appropriate products you'll use in the future.

Now, watch out for the Rustoleum haters. (I don't hate it, at least not on my shed. And Rustoleum is actually excellent for painting wood.)
Old 05-21-2009, 02:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie D
Why not find a Kirker SS color that's a close match? You could even go rice and shoot it flat black. This product will be much more compatible with any appropriate products you'll use in the future.
I am just trying to avoid spraying paint in my garage and not trying to save on material cost. I have a little kid at home

Are there any paint that I can brush on or roll on that will work?

I am ok with having strip it later. The whole car will have to be stripped anyway to repaint.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajsid
I don't want to spray paint in my garage. I am looking for the roll on convenience.

Well, ask your local paint mixer about matching and adding metallic. But, I think you will have a hard time rolling and sanding metallic. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Nothing that I know of that will roll or brush and look even half decent...If all else fails get a pint of primer and a pint of color and shoot it with a preval gun..send the kind to gramma's when you do this..i woudl go the flat black myself just to get something on there to protect the hood..

sam
Old 05-21-2009, 04:30 PM

Last photo:

If it is a fiberglass hood, it should be gelcoated and be fine as it is, so reason it would have to be painted right away.
My opinion, leave well enough alone, till you have a way to spray and paint to match with auto paint, or save the money to do the rest of the car.

Your not going to be able to roll a metallic, and not likely your going to get a very close match mixing together rustoleum, and wind up making it look worst. Not only that, but using the rustoleum will create more work and expense later.

I don't think a little preval sprayer could spray an area the size of that hood and have it look decent either. They shoot at low pressure, and spray with some texture, and you would have a very small fan pattern and most likely a lot of dry areas. Prevals are fine for shooting some interior pieces, a model, for a small touchup or a small area of primer you are going to sand, but trying to do a whole hood with one, don't think you would end up happy with the results. I hate to discourage someone from trying things on there own and learning more about paint and body, but unless you have some decent equiptment and ability to spray and auto paint designed to last (and the better ones spend a money on color research for matches), I really don't think it would really be worth the effort doing.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys...
I am going to get a maaco job. Not cheap.. They may be able to do it for $300...says them without looking at the car.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:13 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Maaco has paint jobs for $300 for the whole thing.. $300 for a hood from Maaco? try a real bodyshop and see what they charge, just might get it for the same price but end up with somthing better... just tell them to do it in a single stage paint.. which will keep the materials costs down....
Old 05-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Gelcoate and leave it black till you can afford a decent paint job. Cole
Old 05-22-2009, 02:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
Maaco has paint jobs for $300 for the whole thing.. $300 for a hood from Maaco? try a real bodyshop and see what they charge, just might get it for the same price but end up with somthing better... just tell them to do it in a single stage paint.. which will keep the materials costs down....
Yeah, I have thought about that. They paint a whole car for $300 and why the same cost for a hood.

I guess the price changes when it's a vette. Maybe I should have taken the hodd off instead of driving the vette down to the Maaco shop.

Thanks for the tip.. I'll call around for single stage paint.

I don't skimp on this car otherwise. Just that I did not want to spend a lot on a temporary hood paint
Old 05-22-2009, 02:49 PM

Last photo:

dont use the rustoleum the vette is fiberglass so it's not gonna rust any time soon. just save the money till you get it saved up and have it done right. wish i had the money to buy a vette

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.