Rusty. dolly frame - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2010, 05:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rusty. dolly frame

I power washed my dolly frame, and I know it really should be sand blasted next, but It won't be. So here is my question: I know POR 15 would help out great in the rust spots (which really it is 3/4 rust) now remember it is about 20 yrs old! The paint isn't great but there is no rust there, and really the POR 15 works best with rust! I want to brush my paint on so what would you suggest me to use so I can paint over the rust and paint? TIA, Dana.( My color I want is on the silver grey side.)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 06:05 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

I am lost I think, is this a car/tow dolly frame that we are talking about? Rust-O-Leum makes a Rusty Metal Primer that is the red oxide color, Red Oxide is the best primer you can get for metal applications for preventing rust, it is the purest primer than any other color. I have used the rustoleum rusty metal primer many times, I primed my truck frame with it and never painted over top of it and I can't see anywhere that it has flaked off in the past year.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:43 PM

Last photo:

Yes it is a car/dolly! Can this be brush painted, and how clean does my surface have to be before applying? Thanks, Dana
Old 06-06-2010, 08:21 PM

Last photo:

I wouldn't waste time brush painting it. I used an airless sprayer with this with good results. I think I pulled the pick up screen because the viscosity was pretty thick. Pressure wash it a couple of times and let dry, once again let dry.
I primed and painted a trailer and very rusty water tank for a fire fighting trailer at my ranch (very remote) about 4 or 5 years ago and its held up great.
I used the Rustoleum Rusty metal primer not POR 15
Old 06-07-2010, 09:40 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85
I am lost I think, is this a car/tow dolly frame that we are talking about? Rust-O-Leum makes a Rusty Metal Primer that is the red oxide color, Red Oxide is the best primer you can get for metal applications for preventing rust, it is the purest primer than any other color. I have used the rustoleum rusty metal primer many times, I primed my truck frame with it and never painted over top of it and I can't see anywhere that it has flaked off in the past year.
Same here ,I painted a lot of equipment with the rust o lium primer and paint it works great and holds up very well the colors are a little limited though...I got mine at Lowes
Old 06-10-2010, 08:44 PM

Last photo:

Primer is made to bond to bare metal. I wouldn't prime over rusty/flaky paint. I would sandblast the frame the best you can or at least wire wheel as much as possible before priming. And before finish painting use a palm sander with like 80 grit paper and lightly sand the primer just to rough it up before finish painting other wise the paint will not hold as good. Just stick with the rust oleum don't cheap out to same a few bucks and buy a "universal primer" the only thing universal about universal primer is they go well in any trash can. I believe rust o leum is a universal primer but it is focused on metal rather than plastic or wood.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:49 PM

Last photo:

skip the por 15 unless you are going to put a topcoat on. it does not hold up to uv rays. tractor supply sells a primer and implement paint. used the red oxide primer and painted it black but they have the paint in many colors. almost 3 yrs now in the fla sun and it still looks good and touches up easy
Old 06-11-2010, 03:51 AM

it works great for trailres and stuff ...not for trailer queens,LOL...
Dozers backhoes generators.That kind of stuff you just want all one color and have it last a couple years....you dont sand this, you wire brush(by hand)to get the loose rust off...but if you want to show it it off or spend your time shining turds then theres always 8oo.oo a gal paint that looks great and 500.oo primers you can use..I'd rather spend my time working on the cars at my shop than the trailers that get them there.rustolium fits the bill perfectly..
Old 06-11-2010, 02:10 PM

Last photo:

IF you have an air compressor you could go to Wal-Mart or TSC and buy a cheap spray gun for like 20 bucks. That way you can just paint the trailer and just throw the gun away if you don't want to clean it. This is what I did for my spray in bed liner, Just bought a cheap spray gun from TSC for like 23 bucks and threw it away when I was done. You will probably have 10 bucks or so in brushes and rollers and trays and all that garbage and not have near as good results, all paint applies and sticks better when sprayed on.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:17 PM

yeah, a gun is a lot easier and faster..

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.