S-10 Axle play Problem? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2005, 02:33 PM
CEO of The AMDAP Mulisha

Wiki Edits: 0

S-10 Axle play Problem?

Hey y'all! Well my grandma said she had a clunk when she is driving her '88 V-6, 4X4, S-10. I went and drove it and narrowed it down to the rear passenger wheel. I got out and grabbed ahold of that wheel and shook it. I found the "clunk". It seems that there is quite a bit of play in and out on that side of the axle. The other side doesn't seem to have any play. What do you guys think the problem is? What's the fix? This is going to turn into my V-8 S-10 project when she is done with it, so I don't want the wheel falling off or something!...Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2005, 04:58 PM
CEO of The AMDAP Mulisha

I was thinking wheel bearing, but it doesn't make anyother noises. Just the ocasianal clunk while turning left. Truth be told I've never been in a rear end.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Frmly sc*ot.

Truth be told I've never been in a rear end

Either the bearing itself is worn out, or it has worn a groove into the axle shaft, OR, if the bearing is pressed on the shaft, the retaining collar has moved or the inner race has worn against the collar, making more play.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:04 PM
CEO of The AMDAP Mulisha

Anybody know if the bearings are pressed on a S-10 Axle? I don't have the tools to press a bearing on if that is the case. Also there is a broken wheel stud on the other side. How do I fix that? New shaft? I guess I will be learning to work on rear end bearings!
Old 11-08-2005, 05:51 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

The bearings are not pressed onto a GM corp. axle. The bearings are just roller bearings with no inner race (they ride right on the axle). The part that holds the axle from sliding out is the "c-clip". The part that keeps the axle from getting pushed in more is the end of the axle hitting the differential cross pin.

If you pull the cover off and clean it out it will be much easier to see exactly where the problem is. You could then either look for some j/y parts in better shape than the ones in question or get new parts.

While you are in there you might as well replace the axle bearings. If they go they will take out the axle shaft with them.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:33 PM
CEO of The AMDAP Mulisha

Thanks! Your help is appreciated!
Old 11-11-2005, 03:31 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

If there is movement in-and-out of one rear wheel and not the other, you can narrow it down to the C-clip retaining groove in the axleshaft, the C-clip itsself, the differential cross shaft.

And no it can't hurt to replace them all for both sides while your in there.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:40 AM
CEO of The AMDAP Mulisha

AWESOME! Thanks a bunch for the info M&M. You're one of the people I was hoping would chime in.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:16 AM

Last photo:

If it starts humming...

or whinning, it will shortly self-destruct! I am dealing with my son's daily driver S10 and could also pull the axle in and out a bit. He called me the other day and said it would not go anymore. I got home and pulled the diff. cover and the pass. side diff. bearing were laying in the bottom of the diff. case... If you have movement where you can pull the axle in and out about 1/4 to1/2" and you start hearing a whinning noise...grandma better get ready to walk or ride the bus My son just started driving his restored '56 chevy pickup alot more but is in pain over the gas mileage
Old 12-01-2005, 07:08 PM
CEO of The AMDAP Mulisha

Howdy! Well I finally got a chance to go over to work on my grandmas truck. I pulled the pan and I couldn't see anything out of place. I pulled the axles, and the passenger side has a strange bevel on the end of it, and the bevel isn't straight all the way around the axle. Could this be the problem? I really couldn't see what was wrong other than that. The c clip grooves are the same size on both axles. The recessed area where the clip rides in the spider gears is the same on both sides. Yet there is still a solid 1/4" of play on that passenger axle. What do you guys think? Is there any tests to do?
Old 12-01-2005, 10:50 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

It sounds like you need a new axle shaft because it is worn down on the end that rides against the center pin. You could look for one in better shape from the j/y but I wouldn't. I might take this as a sign to get some stronger alloy axle shafts

Granny could pay for the shafts, you could put them in for her, and you would have a stronger rear end for when you drop a V8 in it for less money than a shop would charge for stockers. You could also offer to pay the difference between the good axles and a set of stockers.

Edit:
It is however hard to tell from a verbal description of the problem...maybe you could post some pics of it before you spend money on parts?
Old 12-02-2005, 01:55 AM
CEO of The AMDAP Mulisha

Hey thanks for the reply Triaged! I'll take some pics tomorrow. I measured the distance between the end of the shafts and the c clip groove, and they seem to be the same measurements on both shafts. Anything else to check while I'm there? I just can't picture what the problem could be, because the pinion shaft and c clips are the only things that control in and out movement correct?
Old 12-02-2005, 08:32 AM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

There should be no more than .030" endplay on the axles. (rule of thumb) That little "button" on the inboard end of the axleshft is what controls the endplay, not the c-clip, and if it is worn that much, you must replace the axle.

Quote:
It sounds like you need a new axle shaft because it is worn down on the end that rides against the center pin.

I have seen those left like yours, and in short order, the end pops off, and the c-clip falls into the housing, and the axle slides out.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:06 PM
L79 327 5SPD S10 '65GTO

Last photo:

Does it have a posi. or gov-lock diff. in it? When cone posi. or clutch packs wear down the side spider gears move out towards the ends of the axles, causing a greater clearance between the center pin, and the c-clip seat, that allows for lateral play. If it's clutch packs, replace them, if it's cone posi, chuck it. I've only seen this with auburn cone posi's in 80's F-body cars, you could push the back of the car side to side, and hear clunk, clunk.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:08 PM
CEO of The AMDAP Mulisha

Here's a pic of the passenger side axle

Here's a pic of the driver side

Here's a couple in the carrier

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.