S-10 chassis fit under a 36 Ford sedan???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 05:22 PM
XXX

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

S-10 chassis fit under a 36 Ford sedan????

36 Ford rat rod on S-10 frame/chassis???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone direct me to a web site or have info on using an S 10 frame on a 1936 Ford 2 door sedan? How much work was it? How does it fit and look??

What frame would I use for a fenderless 1934 olds 2 door sedan rat rod?I like the simplicity of the S 10 but I have 2 30's chevy frames, 41 ford frame with running gear and also the34 olds and 36 ford frame. I need to find the S-10, Izuzu, luv or ranger chassis.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2009, 05:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

s-10 frame

You can google it to get the actual dimensions, but I have stripped one to put under a 36 olds. The frame is a little narrower than my original in the back, but it actually widens out in the front where the cab and engine are, so it actually gets wider, where the old sedans need to narrow. I can give you exact widths if you need them. The wheelbase for mine was 117.9 inches. It was a regular cab long box. Hope this helps.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

s 10 frame dimensions

http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/p..._Truck_pgs.pdf

Check this site for the dimensions.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
Come on now, you have a 36 Ford, one of the most beautiful cars of all time with one of the most beautiful frames, why in the world would you want to use something like an ugly ars S-10?

This frame swaping has gotten way out of hand. Modifying the stock frame is WAY easier than swapping another frame under it, PERIOD.

I don't care if you get the S-10 for free, by the time you are done you will have spend more money and end up with a placenta.

Get your head around keeping the stock frame and you will find the ways to make it work. If you start out against it, well of course you will find ways to not make it work.

Brian
Old 03-02-2009, 08:55 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

late last week, I was entertaining the idea of putting a '34 P/U cab and box on my Ranger frame, till I figured out just how silly it would look
Old 03-02-2009, 11:00 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Come on now, you have a 36 Ford, one of the most beautiful cars of all time with one of the most beautiful frames, why in the world would you want to use something like an ugly ars S-10?

This frame swaping has gotten way out of hand. Modifying the stock frame is WAY easier than swapping another frame under it, PERIOD.

I don't care if you get the S-10 for free, by the time you are done you will have spend more money and end up with a placenta.

Get your head around keeping the stock frame and you will find the ways to make it work. If you start out against it, well of course you will find ways to not make it work.

Brian
I absolutely agree. The 36 Ford frame is probably the most well built frame of any 30's car. Use the original frame and update the suspension and brakes as desired.

Andy
Old 03-03-2009, 06:14 AM

Last journal entry: T'Bird projectr
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR

Brian
ENOUGH ALREADY with this frame swap thing. I'm starting a new organization, the "HRNBAFS", or, "Hot Rodders named Brian against frame swaps".

I don't know how the idea that swapping a frame has come to be so (apparantly) popular. Particularly on this supposed '36, it won't fit, won't look right, and would the worst way possible to build the car. I think it's a case of misinformed non car guys thinking this what everybody's doing, so it's the thing to do. They then call 'em "Rat Rodz".

We've all seen these messes. A late 30's or 40's pickup cab plopped onto a decrepit S-10 chassis, with a wheezy, smokey, oil dripping tired SBC (or the worn out S-10 banger or V-6) on stock mounts, over the front wheels, with a grill hung way out in front over a leaky radiator and the cab way far forward. Just wrong, all around.

A guy with lots of talent, time and fabricating skills, a really rusty 50's sedan and a Caprice chassis and floor pan can pull this off, but it's not the answer for a '36 Ford.

Another Brian against frame swaps.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:53 PM
XXX

Last photo:

s 10 thats what i was looking for

I kinda wanteed to hear they will bolt right in and i will be crusing in April but I knew better seeing the crap on ebay with S 10 chassis.. Should have remembered it. Just wanted a cheap way out.

is there a way to take leaves out of my 41 ford springs to drop it safe?????
Old 03-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
Sure, just leave a few leaves out. Or buy some mono leaf springs (cheaper than the S-10 frame) that will lower it many inches.

What exact frame are we working with here? You asked about a 36 Ford sedan and now a 41. Are we talking car or truck?

Brian
Old 03-03-2009, 11:21 PM
XXX

Last photo:

36 Frame using a 41 Ford front end

Can a guy pull out every other leaf to drop it or is it safe on the 41 front spring?
Old 03-27-2011, 04:12 AM

S-10 chassis

Check this website out you may have to contact them for you specific application.
http://www.e-zchassisswaps.com/
Old 03-27-2011, 06:41 AM

Last photo:

at least if you have your heart set on a frame swap (not my choice) use a automotive chassis like the excelent 2000+ crown vic platform

a pick up is too hard to deal with the bed area as the frame jumps up 12 inches after the cab
Old 03-27-2011, 08:13 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

It is good your mind is not made up and you are exploring possibilities. Every build I do starts with a plan and number one item is what do I want and expect on that first drive. Other words, there has to be an overall destination when I start putting all the pieces together. Right now, you have some vehicle parts laying around, but I don't think you have arrived at a destination for any of them. Why don't you start with the 36 ford sedan body and forget about the other bodies. You have a 36 frame and it is good for any bodies so it does not have to be a frame for a sedan or coupe or what ever. This frame can be built to exceed any thing an S-10 frame will offer you as far as ride and handling, which is good qualities you probably would like when you take it for it's fist spin. All your time and bucks go into building the frame up with good new or used aftermarket parts. You have multi options and depending on what you want, what you can afford and your fabrication skills dictate your path to your destination. You can deal with the stock suspension components with up grades and can get a decent ride and handling car or you can go with the aftermarket independent suspension components with disc brakes all around, power steering etc and run with the big dogs in the mountains. The X member in the frame must be modified for late model auto trannys, but again, kits are available or you can do your own. If you go with a manual tranny, this modification is minimal and enough after market stuff is available to make this a simple application. One thing you can do ahead of time to help in your planning phase is to get a library of aftermarket catalogs and start cruising thru them to see what is offered and get an ideal of what it will cost you for selected paths you may want to explore. Make a list of all on-line sites that have good "How To" info(you are on one presently) as well as catalogs to back up your paper backs.

Those old springs can give up 2 or 3 leaves easily because modern day shocks make the fewer leaves preform better. I have always kept the same thickness at the mounting point on the front because if you don't the frame (with steering sector) drops and changes the original geometry slightly. In the rear, do away with the buggy spring and go with parallel leaves or with a bar of choice with coils or coil overs or consider an IRS.

Brakes are an area you want to upgrade. Original manual brakes are out and upgraded drums are at the bottom of the totem pole. I would not consider any thing less than discs on the front and good drums on the rear.

Some one mentioned the Crown Vic as a donor car. If I were building a 35-40 frame today, I would look hard at the Crown Vic front end. I have watched a friend of mine put one under his 62 Ford Unibody pickup up and it basically was made for it. Little overkill for your much lighter 36 sedan, but deserves a look. It would adapt easier to a 41-48 frame which is about 2 1/2" wider than the 35-40. Correct width rear ends for your car would be 55-64 Chevy with the 63-4 being the best of these, a 66-70 Bronco which is a Ford 9inch, or a Lincoln Versailles being the best choice if you want discs, but they are getting harder to find. About any thing else will have to be narrowed.

Good luck on arriving at a decision.

Trees
Old 03-27-2011, 12:47 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

frame swap

A friend put his 40 merc on a monte carlo frame said it was easy. he dropped the front and rear bumpers and made new sheet metal and it looks right. We saw a 55 jeep pickup on a blazer frame and the guy said it was easy, We have a 48 jeepster and the frame contours for the jeepster and the stock jeep frames are the same. the trucks are longer. WE picked up a rusted blazer with no engine, the Jeepster already had a SBC. we thought it would be easy. lots more problems than we thought. we had to move the engine back 8 in, the 48 has a smaller engine compartment, New engine and trans mounts new drive shafts. new steering shafts . the blazer frame humped up in the rear seat area, no problem for a pickup. we had more floor pan mods. had to move the shock crossmember. Neither gas tank would fit. new rear bumper mounts . the blazer frame is stronger that the 48 frame but it would have been easier to do what Brian says . use the stock frame and swap in the drive train, engine, trans, axles. the only easy thing was the winch mounts for the front.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Die standin' up

Last journal entry: geezer69 nova 63
Last photo:

i used an s10 frame under my 63 nova wagon. im scrappin it. too many mods needed to get what i want. i think s10 frames belong on s10's. i learned my lesson. never again.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.