S-10 Digital Dash questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2003, 09:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

S-10 Digital Dash questions

Hi everyone newbie here,
I'm looking to install a Digital Dash from a 89 or 90 S-10 Blazer into my street rod. my question is does the cluster run off of the ECM or does it run off of the engine sensors. another question I have is would it (tach) work with a V8? I know they were designed for V6 vehicles. Well thanks in advance for the help....

Tommy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2004, 10:38 PM

I know this post is a lil old
I too am looking for some info on a digital dash...Anyone know if i can just make an adapter to use a digital dash in place of a standard dash?.. In otherwords are the sensors the same on S-10 with and without a digital dash?...Seems to me they would be

As for the tach I would say that would work but it may read high on a v8...but i would think there would be a way to fine tune it down..? Some sort of adjustment... There would have to be some way to calibrate it wouldn't there?
Old 10-23-2004, 05:11 AM
Self-made nobody.

Last photo:

Sorry I can't offer much helpful information other than I know for sure that a friend of mine has installed Buick (Reatta or Somerset models) digital dash clusters in old cars. I never inquired how he adapted them or made them work.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Re: S-10 Digital Dash questions

Quote:
Originally posted by 29 2dr sedan
Hi everyone newbie here,
I'm looking to install a Digital Dash from a 89 or 90 S-10 Blazer into my street rod. my question is does the cluster run off of the ECM or does it run off of the engine sensors. another question I have is would it (tach) work with a V8? I know they were designed for V6 vehicles. Well thanks in advance for the help....

Tommy
[size=3]Doc here

It can be done with much work and stripping of the doner vehicle...and... Trial and error elimination (some senders do go to the ECM like TCC ,transmission torque converter lockup, speed sensor, for monitoring Vehicle speed while driving at the computer, and several other monitor functions)

IMO..I think it's much easier (and maybe cheaper) To order an after~market Kit ...which comes complete with sensors, harness, and best of all..a Diagram & warranty!

The Tach will work on a V8 but be grossly in error...you can check the circuit card for a selector switch, 4,6,or 8 and set it appropriately. Or on most stockers, you will need a new Calibration / repair card (the guts of the tach) for an 8 cylinder..

Doc
[/size]

Quote:
Originally posted by box_of_fire
I know this post is a lil old
I too am looking for some info on a digital dash...Anyone know if i can just make an adapter to use a digital dash in place of a standard dash?.. In otherwords are the sensors the same on S-10 with and without a digital dash?...Seems to me they would be

As for the tach I would say that would work but it may read high on a v8...but i would think there would be a way to fine tune it down..? Some sort of adjustment... There would have to be some way to calibrate it wouldn't there?
[size=3]Doc here

On a straight upgrade/swap you should be able to do that no problem, in fact the wires may already be in your stock harness as "spares" ...

The EASY way to check senders, is go to your local auto parts store and get the PN's for D'arsonal (analog) and digital senders if they differ, pull them off your doner car...or buy new ones.

Doc
[/size]

Last edited by docvette; 10-23-2004 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:43 PM
Suburbanite Member

Last photo:

The S-10 cluster doesn't run from the ECM or a BCM. You can wire it up to your sensors (provided they have the right type of output) directly.

The exception is the speedo - you need to have a digital speedo output from your transmission. There are adapters out there that will convert a cable-driven speedo to a digital signal. IIRC, the S-10 speedo takes 2000 PPM for a signal, many digital speedos and transmission sending units take 4000 PPM. Find a DRAC module out of a '90 S-10 and plug it in between the tranny and the cluster. by soldering a DIP switch into the DRAC, you can calibrate your speedo quite easily - google this one for details, it's been a while since I've done it. As long as you have a tranny with digital output, this will be an easy hurdle. Worst-case scenario, take the drac to a local electronics shop with some details from your google search and they can solder the calibration DIP switches in for you.

The tach can be changed to read correctly for a V8 by replacing a capacitor on the speedo circuit. There's a few details on this in the JTR V8 conversion manual but I don't know if they specifically cover the digital clusters. This one should be google-able as well.

Here's a few links I googled to get you started:

http://forums.s-series.org/viewtopic...t=digital+dash
http://mattw.dyndns.org/mattw/S10V8/digital_dash.html
http://www.mrwhizard.com/
http://webpages.acs.ttu.edu/chdarby/DRAC.htm

In the DRAC link above, they show how to figure out your speedometer ratio with a calculator. I just drove down the highway with a hand-held GPS unit and flicked switches until the speedo looked good.

Hope this helps, and just in case I don't check back here soon enough, feel free to PM me with questions.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.