Hot Rod Forum banner

s-10 front clip on a 50's chevy truck

8K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  forestrytodd 
#1 ·
I'm sure there are people out their that have put a s-10 front clip under a early 50's chevy truck. I have a 52 chevy truck and thinking about swapping out front clips for a better ride and handling. This truck will be a hotrodd with a 350 with it being 30 over (355) it's pushing about 640 horses that is why i'm thinking about doing this, i have been told that it really helps! My only ? is that i don't really know much about what year of s-10 or where to cut it off at and going about putting it back together. This is my first big project of this kind and excited to work on getting it done. So if there is anybody out there that can help me with this project i would be happy for the info!

#2 ·
I have done 50's truck with nova's and camaro's But never a s10.I like to put the nova because its 1.5'' narrower then the camaro.(wheel flange width).The thing about the s10,Is you have to run the s10 headers.Not to sure but I don't think the frame will be the right width to match up to the 50's frame.the camaro and nova is very close.I have a 58 Chevy truck in my album I did with a nova. :thumbup:

#4 ·
NEW INTERIORS is right. It can be done but a Nova or Camaro works better,1 because you can use the full length Camaro or Nova headers with no steering shaft interference.2 Because unless you want to use spacers or really wide front tires they will be tucked in too far with the S 10 clip.If you do it you start by measuring your wheelbase so once you cut your front off you will know what length you have to put the S 10 clip back on.Next block the frame up level side to side and front to back.Then do the same with the S 10 and weld a plate level in the middle of the front cross member.This is for a reference point after you cut it off of the rear section.Then keeping the wheel base in mind cut the 2 frames where the width is the closest but again keep in mind ending up with the proper wheel base.Hope this helps. When you get started post some pics and ask more questions.As always measure twice cut once. :thumbup:

#5 ·
I believe the S10 front clip is very similar dimensionally to the G-body 78-88 G-body cars (monte carlo, grand prix, cutlass, etc). I know they use the same spindles. Having done a G-body clip on a 54 chevy I will tell you it is fabrication intensive. You will need to section the core support to clear the steering box which can cause alignment issues with the front sheet metal.

#6 ·
I have never done a clipped frame with an s-10 but I have done the whole frame under them and it works out great. There is room to move the motor back so headers are not as bad as they seam. On the 51 suburban I did, I moved the motor back 6 inches. Also you can buy all kinds of custom suspension parts for a s-10 all the way to airbag setups. But I like to do whole frames if using the s-10 package. If not, then camaro/nova is the way to go. JMO Tim

#7 ·
I personally prefer the nova clip myself as well. I have a 53 GMC that has a 76 Nova clip and have done a 53 Chevy with a 74 Camaro. It is very intense on the Fab part. Measure 2x then measure again then cut. I used the front cross member form the 53 to mount the front end but had to fab up supports to mount it to the Nova frame and work around the front steer box.

If you use a S10 (I have not done this myself, but have seen a few up close), find an extended cab and separate the rear frame section at the factory seam. Cut the needed amount from the front section to make the wheelbase correct then re-insert the rear section and re-weld. Then the fun starts :D You will have to fab up all the body mounts and front sheet metal mounts. You can use the ones from your original frame as patterns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.