Hot Rod Forum banner

S-10 rearend question.

2K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  tfeverfred 
#1 ·
I got the S-10 rear that I am going to put in my bucket.There is a large ring or collar that appears to be attached to or part of the differential yoke. Is this normal? If not, is it something I should remove? If it is supposed to be there, what does it do?

Thanks in advance for the help. I'll get pics tomorrow if it will help.

#9 ·
Hmmm... Could it be a "companion flange" style yoke? I think the s10's only had the regular U joint one though.

The one in the picture looks like the part that has the seal on it, to seal the yoke to the pinion support. Does yours have the seal on the backside?

If that ain't it, then I'm stumped :spank:

Nooj

#11 ·
lumberjacknooj said:
Hmmm... Could it be a "companion flange" style yoke? I think the s10's only had the regular U joint one though.

The one in the picture looks like the part that has the seal on it, to seal the yoke to the pinion support. Does yours have the seal on the backside?

If that ain't it, then I'm stumped :spank:

Nooj
I Googled companion flange yoke and it looks like it could be that, but like you said, I have never seen one on a S-10 rearend.

#12 ·
No guesses yet? I really need to know if this is going to make this rearend wrong for my application. I figure if it's some type of balancing device, it won't hurt to keep it. It seems to be part of the yoke and I can't see the harm in leaving it. Very odd.

I'll take a closer look and try and get pics. If anything it may help someone else who comes across one.

#14 ·
Okay, I got the answer! Larryblack gave me the skinny on that fat thing attached to the yoke. Evidently, it's used as a balance on S-10s that had a MANUAL tranny IN SOME CASES. I'm not sure what years, but mine is on of them. The automatics didn't have one. It keeps the rearend stable. I did a little checking and it seems that the 4 cyl. models with a manual may have had a 4:10 gear ratio. I'm not positive, but it makes sense.

Now, in order to get my drive shaft balanced, when I get to that step, I'll have two options.

1. Have the drive shaft made and balanced with this "thing" attached to it.
2. Remove the thing and have the drive shaft balanced without it.

So, I'm opting to remove the "thing". It will be less work for the drive shaft shop, so it should mean less labor. Which means less money. It's not an ugly "thing", I just prefer not to have it. I tried to remove it this evening, but the nut that holds the assembly together, turns with the yoke. So, I'll have to have the rearend mounted with wheels and tires and set the brakes so the rear won't turn. Or so it seems. Maybe there is another way, but I don't see it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Now, on Monday, I'm going to call a drive shaft shop and get their opinion on keeping it or removing it. Who knows, they may not need it to balance the shaft. We'll see.

Thanks to everyone who helped. A special thanks to Larryblack. :thumbup:

Once again, this site proves to be a God send.

#15 ·
Hello,
I'm new to this site and yours was the first post I saw. I have the same rear in my project. Mine is from a 2001 4WD S-10, 4spd., with the Heavy duty 8.5 rear with disc brakes, and 3.42 gears. It has the same balancing piece you are talking about. I think you will need a new yoke if you remove it, it looks like one piece. I was planning to leave mine and just balance the driveshaft.
Let me know how the removal goes.

#16 ·
fyrdriver said:
Hello,
I'm new to this site and yours was the first post I saw. I have the same rear in my project. Mine is from a 2001 4WD S-10, 4spd., with the Heavy duty 8.5 rear with disc brakes, and 3.42 gears. It has the same balancing piece you are talking about. I think you will need a new yoke if you remove it, it looks like one piece. I was planning to leave mine and just balance the driveshaft.
Let me know how the removal goes.
You are right. I forgot to mention that. A new yoke IS required and I was told it is a dealer item.

A friend of mine is welding brackets on my rear end tomorrow and he builds and owns cars for racing. I'm sure he will have a good opinion about whether or not I should change it out.

Now, another thing I learned was that the purpose of that "thing" was to calm the rear down. As you know, the S-10s were fairly small and light weight. It seems that "thing" kept the rearend from getting all crazy due to the lack of weight on the rearend. My thought is that my T bucket is VERY light and may need it. It won't be seen and I may HAVE to have it.

Now is the time for the guys running S-10 rears in a T bucket to drop in with a few words of advice.

#17 ·
I got an S-10 rear in my bucket. It does not have that ring on the yoke. My guess is it is a harmonic balancer, just like on the front of an engine. Just leave it be and don't worry about it. I don't think the driveshaft shop will need it to make you a shaft.

#18 · (Edited)
RPM said:
I got an S-10 rear in my bucket. It does not have that ring on the yoke. My guess is it is a harmonic balancer, just like on the front of an engine. Just leave it be and don't worry about it. I don't think the driveshaft shop will need it to make you a shaft.
Correcta mundo! I called a shop and they explained what it is and does. Much of what they said was a repeat of what Larryblack told me. So, it's going to stay. Now I will be able to answer people when they ask what it is. But then, if they are up under my T that far, they better be Cameron Diaz or pretty close to her! LOL

I just got home from having a friend weld on my suspension brackets. Pics will be in the journal soon. I hope the ones of his shop come out. Truely amazing.

Insert Cameron pic:

Attachments

#20 ·
I have the same funny thing on my rear end :thumbup:

It is off a 2000 blazer (and happens to be an 8.5" ring gear as evidenced by how the axle tubes flare before going into the center section).

I had my driveshaft shortened and balanced to put it in and have suffered no ill effects. Just leave it so you don't have to buy a new pinion yoke and mess with the pinion bearing preload.

#21 ·
Now that I have the attention of the S-10 rear end crowd, does anyone know who makes a drum brake overhaul kit for it? Auto Zone has 3 separate kits which includes the springs and such. They also have the wheel cylinders. I would like to go back with all new components and thought maybe someone sells a complete kit with all the hardware and shoes.

The separate kits and shoes don't cost that much, I was just wanting to see if they come in a complete package to avoid missing something I would need. Next weekend, I plan on redoing the rear brakes and will try to post better pics than what I did on my journal. Only a few of the pics came out. I need to get a better camera. :mad:

And thanks again for all the input. Once again this site has proven it's number one for help and tips!

#22 ·
I have an S-10/S-15 rear end out of an 88 model that was 2 wheel drive (48 inch axle). I do not have the extra ring on the yoke. The comment about keeping the rear end from getting crazy because it is too light was interesting. Perhaps because of leaf springs in the S-10? I'm wondering what the nature of the crazy behavior was. Maybe excessive wheel hop or some type of vibration at a given drive shaft RPM? Would be interesting to know. I use radius rods on the rear with coil-overs and the rear end does not hop or do anything unexpected. You are right about how light they are - the other night my electric fuel pump went out and while winching it up into a trailer, the left rear wheel rolled over my foot - hardly noticed it - no worse than someone stepping on your foot.

As to the brakes, I have not seen any complete kits for my axle. I did rebuild the entire rear brakes a year and a half ago. I went to an independent auto parts store with all the parts off of one wheel plus the two drums and the guy fixed me right up with everything I needed - wheel cylinders, springs, misc hardware, turned the drums and matched the new shoes to the drums. This is the only place I go now.

#23 ·
tfeverfred said:
Now that I have the attention of the S-10 rear end crowd, does anyone know who makes a drum brake overhaul kit for it? Auto Zone has 3 separate kits which includes the springs and such. They also have the wheel cylinders. I would like to go back with all new components and thought maybe someone sells a complete kit with all the hardware and shoes.

The separate kits and shoes don't cost that much, I was just wanting to see if they come in a complete package to avoid missing something I would need. Next weekend, I plan on redoing the rear brakes and will try to post better pics than what I did on my journal. Only a few of the pics came out. I need to get a better camera. :mad:

And thanks again for all the input. Once again this site has proven it's number one for help and tips!
these parts have always been separate since each rebuild brake job can require different section of replacement.

I'd make a list of needed to parts to double check as you purchase them... I write out lists and usually misplace it as I drive to the parts house

#24 ·
cucumber1949 said:
I have an S-10/S-15 rear end out of an 88 model that was 2 wheel drive (48 inch axle). I do not have the extra ring on the yoke. The comment about keeping the rear end from getting crazy because it is too light was interesting. Perhaps because of leaf springs in the S-10? I'm wondering what the nature of the crazy behavior was. Maybe excessive wheel hop or some type of vibration at a given drive shaft RPM? Would be interesting to know. I use radius rods on the rear with coil-overs and the rear end does not hop or do anything unexpected. You are right about how light they are - the other night my electric fuel pump went out and while winching it up into a trailer, the left rear wheel rolled over my foot - hardly noticed it - no worse than someone stepping on your foot.

As to the brakes, I have not seen any complete kits for my axle. I did rebuild the entire rear brakes a year and a half ago. I went to an independent auto parts store with all the parts off of one wheel plus the two drums and the guy fixed me right up with everything I needed - wheel cylinders, springs, misc hardware, turned the drums and matched the new shoes to the drums. This is the only place I go now.
Sorry for the loose talk. The "crazy" was wheel hop and sometimes vibration. The driveshaft guy said that that balancer helps prevent it.

#25 ·
Crosley said:
these parts have always been separate since each rebuild brake job can require different section of replacement.

I'd make a list of needed to parts to double check as you purchase them... I write out lists and usually misplace it as I drive to the parts house

Thanks, Crosley, I just got off the phone with Auto Zone and that is what they said. I'm going to be replace everything to be sure, so hopefully I won't end up burning gas on multiple trips to the parts store.

#26 ·
Closure.

Okay, I got my drive shaft yesterday. A nice mom & pop place on the north side of Houston called, Drive Shaft Inc. If you go there or call, ask for Gilbert. He made me a shaft, supplied the u-joints. pressed them on and supplied the pinion straps for $183. If I had supplied my own shafts, it would have been half that. My work schedule didn't allow me to hunt for them, so I gave him the go ahead.

Then last night, I picked up a gear puller at the auto parts store with the Irish name. I figured if it didn't get the yoke off the rear pinion, then I would just bite the bullet and have someone do it for me. I marked and removed the nut, mounted the puller and the yoke damn near fell off. How or why I didn't try this before, I'll never know. While I was at it, I replaced the seal on the tranny as well as the one on the rearend. The inertia weight is actually part of the yoke, so she's staying until, I decide I want a regular yoke on the rear.

So, thanks to everyone who shot me advice. I really appreciate it. I'm sure someone suggested a gear puller, but I guess I didn't catch it or wrote it off without trying.

Today was a good day. No more leaking pinion seal and drive shaft installed. :D Pics in the journal later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.