?'s about shaving a body line... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2005, 10:34 PM
Custom builder and painter

Last journal entry: Another test fit of the axle
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

?'s about shaving a body line...

Looking to see how you guys would go about shaving this body line.. I'm already pretty set on how i'm going to go about it, but I want to hear how you guys would go about it.. The groove is about 3/8" deep and goes completely around the vehicle!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dblmint 048re.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	8125  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2005, 10:58 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,080 Times in 963 Posts
How "right" do you want to do it?

1. Cut out the line and replace it with flat metal.

2. Cut a strip of metal and weld it over the body line.

3. Fill it with a reinforced filler like Evercoats Kitty Hair.

Personally, I would be looking at number 3. Only because unless you are a master metal man (if you were you wouldn't have asked the question) you are going to be covering the sides of the truck with filler anyway, you might as well jump to the chase.

But I have to ask, why fill it? I have seen that line filled before on an S-10, it gave it a taller look do to the loss in the vertical line.

The truck already has sort of a "Velveeta box" sort of look, why accentuate it? I would look a making MORE "lines" of some sort to make the truck more interesting not less.

If you wanted to add some interest, how about filling the line with Everglass or something, then cutting in the Everglass TWO lines instead? Two perfect lines that are only an eighth of an inch wide and deep. I don't know, that sounds like it would add "interest" to the truck. Or, spend the time filling those lines instead on super detailing it, making every panel fit to perfection. THAT would be some good time spent with shocking "why the heck does it look so good" results.

Brian
Old 12-04-2005, 11:09 PM

Last photo:

Well it's a customer's ride and he demands the line's shaved, and i planned on using step 3, but I see that all choices have a chance of showing up later because of different materials contracting at different rates in different temps. I have a journal on this truck.. check it out.. you'll get a idea of what's going into it... as far as using the other steps you'd have warping problems, and even if you didn't you'd spend months welding and grinding.. and it's not like you wouldn't use filler anyways. so that kind of rules that out.
what about all metal. someone suggested using that as a filler, but I haven't used it much myself..
Old 12-05-2005, 04:05 AM
Garage Filler

Last journal entry: I need more time!
Last photo:

I partialy shaved the line on mine. After adding Caddy tail lights I needed the body line to stop just before the light area. The line was filled by welding in 1/8" rod. I did the same to the tailgate after adding a flat panel. Very little filler was needed then the area was blocked and blocked and blocked. LOL.

Yes, that is SPI Viper red sprayed by ADTKART.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leftside.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	8128   Click image for larger version

Name:	gatecover.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	8129  
Old 12-05-2005, 05:54 AM

Last photo:

Nice S-10, looks straight as an arrow, the SPI red also looks good!
Chad, I'd just run a block over the line to make sure there isn't any high spots at the bend that need to be worked down, then strip that area with a klean and strip disc and apply two coats of epoxy primer followed by Everglass and it'll be just fine. I highly doubt you'll see it show up down the road, it's only about 1/8" deep so well within the filler's capability. Stay away from the allmetal and metal to metal alluminum colored fillers, junk IMO.

Keeping the line like Brian suggested would be the best though, and his idea of adding a center line within the groove is an excellent idea IMO.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:09 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,080 Times in 963 Posts
I don't know about "junk" on the Metal 2 Metal but I havn't used it in years because of its poor working qualities. Everglass, Kitty Hair, Duraglass, etc. are all "reinforced fillers" like Metal 2 Metal and will do a good job.

I am thinking that it would be best to bring the filler out over the surrounding area. In other words, don't just apply it over the area and then sand it flat so there is this perfect stripe of filler going down the side of the truck. With expansion and contraction you would likely have a "ghost line" there in time.

Brian
Old 12-05-2005, 11:09 AM

Last photo:

Well i planned on working it out a little ways as that would probably be better for longevity, I like the idea of the two little lines but he want's it flat., what does everyone else think of putting down epoxy first? I usually just apply duraglass to bare metal, but if you think epoxy would be better, I could do that.. also, i'm thinking of using a few thinner coats of duraglass instead of kitty hair, as there would be less pinholes, and I don't think it's deep enough for kitty hair anyways... and this is getting the caddy lights like the red one posted,, which looks very good I might add.. I'll stay away from all metal, and pretty much made my mind up on that, but was wondering what your thoughts on it would be..
I'm going to use basically all SPI on this one, unless i find something I don't like about it by then,, but i doubt it..
Old 12-05-2005, 07:02 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I am not sure what year that S-10 is that you are working on. You might want to run a hard block across it and check. I believe that there is a vertical curve in the panel, including the area of the body line. That means that the filled body line will actually not be flat, but have a curve. They are a pain to block down and look good, although obviously it can be done. Using the rod to fill the line will make it easier to keep the filler from trying to flatten out when blocking.

Aaron
Old 12-06-2005, 04:36 AM
Garage Filler

Last journal entry: I need more time!
Last photo:

baddbob........

Thanks, but all the credit goes to adtkart. I learned a great deal from adtkart during this process. Even though my truck is a Chevy, adtkart (a FORD guy) worked his butt off like the truck was his. LOL.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:48 PM

Last photo:

well I have my plan of attack at least....
Old 12-07-2005, 12:23 AM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

Check out my project journal...I shaved the line on my S10 also. I welded a rod in the bodyline and then finished it with filler.
Later,
WEIMER

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.