S10 to 39 chev pickup - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 09:33 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

S10 to 39 chev pickup

I have oriignal 1939 long bed, runs and drives like it should, my neighbor is selling his beat up S10 long bed, 1999 cheap, motor is newer, wondering about a chassis swap, what am I in for, several threads leave me confused, will the standard rearend work or do I need 4X4, spacers in front ? who makes a kit? if I have to change a lot I'll just leave it alone. thanks broci
mbrock1937@yahoo.com

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
I simply don't get it, I am totally against frame swaps, what do you have when done, a 39 Chevy or a lowly 99 S-10? I say you have an S-10 with a "body kit", makes no sense at all to me.

Drive the 39 for what it is, a neat old vintage truck. Enjoy it's old ways and respect the life it has led.

If you want to update it, there are PILES upon PILES of stuff that will bolt on that frame to update it's suspension,brakes and power train. And when you are done you have an updated, more drivable 1939 Chevy pickup, not an S-10 with a body kit, just my take on frame "swaps."

There is no such thing as a "frame swap". It takes a LOT of fabrication, PILES of fabrication. It saves no time, no work, no money, it just swaps the time, work and money to another frame that's all.

If that is what you want, an S-10 with a body kit, more power to you, you can do it with LOTS of work (like most old car builds, that is why we love them) but it is WAY more than most people would think to do it right. You can do it hack pretty fast, some bracket welded here and there and some cutting here and there to 39 (insert crying smilie) and it can be done.

I personally like old cars so I would leave it an old car, they are way cooler.

Brian
Old 01-20-2013, 09:50 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

The OP said it himself....." if I have to change a lot I'll just leave it alone".......

Like Brian said...its a ton of work
Old 01-20-2013, 09:53 AM

I agree Brian, and have been driving the old gal for long time, getting horse feed, hay, etc. small farmer here, but I have an opertunity to make it much more safe if its easy, otherwise, I'll just leave it as is and some day, put a better front end, rearend, transmission, motor, etc. ( that will never happen), so again , if its an easy swap, i'm in, if not, I'm not. thanks
brock
Old 01-20-2013, 10:09 AM

I've restored a 37 two door sedan with IFS front, nova rear, 350/350, ground up, spent at least 10K, nice old ride, I agree, spending 10 grand on after markets would be best answer, and may be the way I go, but doubt that will ever happen, if the S10 isn't going to be very easy, like you say it isn't, It will just sit in the barn most of its life.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:00 AM

Last photo:

The thing is, that truck HAS driven all over, hauled PILES of stuff all over, it DID It, you know what I mean? So if it DID do it, why can't it now? Sure some things like taking off for a 100 mile trip full of hay on the interstate may not be a good choice, but most everything else, what the heck, it DID do it. Just because we have gotten soft with modern cars doesn't mean your father or grand father WOULD have driven that truck anywhere, it did work right? So maybe new kingpins or shocks, tires, alignment, etc will give you what you need to drive it every day. I drive a 59 Rambler every day, yes it handles like crap, it doesn't go freeway speed, it has a few water leaks, it's noisy, it has wind leaks, it's AM radio sucks, and I LOVE IT! I love driving it everyday, I will say out loud "Thank you for the blessing" to be able to drive that car, it is a treasure, it is a treat every time I get in it feels like the first time. I love the old cars. When we go on a long trip we hop in the wife's Caravan, but for me, around town, driving to work or short trips, I love my Rambler.

Brian
Old 01-20-2013, 12:02 PM

I also did a restore to original on 39 business coupe, with exception I changed the babbet bearings to oil impregnated ones, now I agree, that car will run 45 mph all day and is fairly safe, but not the truck, much lower geared, not for pleasure at all, just work, and it works just fine, but I AM going to make it to where I can safely drive long distances without putting myself and others in harms way, as you are probably aware, original parts for this one will far exceed a sub frame, and a sub frame would be much more pleasurable in the end, AC, Power steering, highway speed, suspension, brakes, and still look original, Its pretty scary just going to town for horse feed and thats only 15 miles on gravel, still a lot of fun, I rebuilt the streight 6, kinda hate to give up on it, but there is always another project chevy, I've now located a highspeed rearend and kit for front end rebuild, so I'm still weighing both ends.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:40 PM

Last photo:

Think about rebuilding that front axle, king pins and such don't cost a whole lot. Remember you sub it and you need to likely rebuild that too! And it isn't a quick mod either with cutting up the inner fenders and rad support needed. I drove my 48 Chevy pickup all over this state with the stock I beam, it had 3.90 gears and an inline six with a Muncie four speed, it worked just fine for me. Just an idea.

Brian

Old 01-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I don't go for the swap's,, Did a bunch of clip's and love the ride... I enjoy keeping the look and trashing the old ride on all old cars and trucks... No need to ride like a old truck in todays world... But if you like the ruff ride.. Go for it..

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.