Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - S10 to '49 Olds?
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 06:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I would double check with Scarebird to see whats needed with the kit.

I reused the springs that was in my 55, since they were already designed for my car. I had to shorten them up because of the differance of the spring pocket in the lower arm.

You'll may find no differance at in the spindle height differance thru the years. 62-68 tapered bearings. I have a catalog here thats shows 61 for Police only for tapered bearings. Ball bearings are'nt totally bad, especially with todays grease is alot better. Just about any fwd car has a ball bearing assembly. If you could get all the 58 stuff at a reasonalbe price it may be worth it. The 58 rear would be nice if the guy had it. The 57-64 Pontiac/Olds 9.3" ring gear rear end is one the stronger rear ends ever made. Alot of the early gassers/hotrods used that rear end back in the day. Although 57-58 are only 29 spline, 59-64 are 31 spline and wider.

You may have to go with a more offset wheel if it pushes it out too far. I don't remember exactly how much of a differance it made. Will your currant wheels evan fit over disc brakes?

If your 41 is like my 55, it used 1/4" lines on the front as well. You'll at least need new hoses and maybe adapters to go from 1/4" to 3/16".

I shorted the inner tie rod not centerlink, go thru the article , it gives some direction on shortening the inner tie rod. On mine I had to shorten them about 3". once you get them bolted up, make sure your gearbox is centered and spindles in the stright ahead and measure how much will be needed.

I kept my manual steering , just the way I like it. It's a 1 piece gearbox/column with turn signal switches.

The Tempest stuff it totaly differant. From the article , I know what works and the stuff is designed for a bigger car.

Added: Double Check with Scarebird, I think the kit for my car has been updated so you don't even have to reuse the drum hub, the same may apply to the 58 spindles. I know on his newest 55-57 kit, he had some spacers made and switch it over to tapered bearings and used a regular full size rotor.

Last edited by chieftain; 05-21-2007 at 06:42 PM.