Hot Rod Forum banner

s10 disc brake conversion

33K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  troy-curt 
#1 ·
any thoughts on using rear disc brake setup out of a camaro and put into an s10?

#5 ·
There's an easier way if you have access to a welder. Speedway (www.speedwaymotors.com) makes a universal kit for just under $500. No park brake, but everything else you need. Come to think of it, they have bolt on brackets for a lot of applications, with complete measurements in their catalog. The catalog is worth the $5 (free with a $25 or more order) for the info in it on mixed things -- the bolt pattern of axle housing ends in the brake section, spring rate calculations for coil overs in shocks, etc. I think they have a lower cost kit that has everything but the GM front calipers, and of course they have higher priced kits that include park brakes. If you run an auto trans anyway, screw the park brake! Of course I know how to park a manual in gear with no trouble either...

Now to do it with junkyard parts isn't that bad. Late 80s big Cadillac Eldorados and Sevilles have rear discs. The only thing about using those calipers is that you have to use the park brake -- that's how they adjust the brakes, through park brake action. Unlike other calipers, these have to be adjusted to work right. You can substitute front calipers as far as I know. You can use the mounts and rotors on any GM. The mounts may have to be cut and welded to your axle housing. Weld on mounts can be purchased from Speedway also. Some front drive rotors may be usable, but you'll have to check for clearance with the wheels. Most front drive rotors and the Caddy rear rotors slip on the hub just like a rear brake drum. So do the Speedway rotors (you could just buy the rotors and brackets from Speedway). Check the front rotors of 4x4 trucks. On Jeeps (the little Cherokee) the front rotor slips off like a drum. If nothing else you can drill a Jeep front rotor for a Chevy pattern. Check the offset -- the Jeep rotor might be to deep.

Just cut your original brake backing plate to cover the end of the axle only. None of this is hard, just visit a pull your own parts yard and look around!

#6 ·
Theres a guy in the mid west that makes brackets for converting muscle cars to rear disc setups using camaro and vette parts. he sells these for around 85.00 plus shipping. I have an e-mail into him asking how to convert my 86 s10 to rear discs. When I get a response I'll post his answer. If there is a big enough demand maybe he can make these up for the s10. Does anybody know if the late 70's- early 80's 10 bolt has the same backing plate bolt pattern as the s10's?
:cool:

#8 ·
In the late 90s, some Blazers/Jimmys came factory with rear disc brakes. It would be a direct bolt on conversion for S-10s (1994 and later for sure, i dont know if the pre 94 rear ends were the same). I used to have a 95 S-10, and even found a 4 door blazer at a salvage yard with this rear end. I ended up selling the truck so never performed this swap.

#12 ·
The late camaro and firebird will bolt on to the early camaro. Also the caddy will to. It should go on the S 10 also , and be sure and use the emergency brake system from the donor.

You may have to cut or grind an 1/8 inch off of the axle flange.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.