Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - S10 Floor Suggestion
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

S10 Floor Suggestion

Hey everyone. This is my first time posing in the body-exterior section and I have little experience with metal fabrication. I have an 1986 S10 that has a V8 swap and will be a dedicated drag vehicle. The cab I have is pretty rotted and I ended up cutting out the floor since majority of it was rotted out and the firewall had to go due to engine placement.... onto my issue. I am looking on some input and suggestions on the best way to go about this.

I am planning on building a floor substructure out of 1"x1" tubing and will have aluminum sheeting on top of it. It will be welded along the length of the cab by the pinch weld. I will then weld a piece along the back that goes over the drive shaft and up each side of the transmission to the front where the firewall and floor meet. I will then make another piece that goes from each side to the middle piece by the trans and then go up the firewall to a piece along the bottom of the windshield. Here are some pics of where I am now and a couple drawings of my ideas. I have never done this before so all criticism and suggestion are welcome. I kinda just tacked the pieces in place for now.
The first four picture are of the rotting driver side cab mount. Im thinking about sand blasting it, welding a nut on the inside, and then painting it real good and putting the floor right over it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	driver_side_mount_rot.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	69828   Click image for larger version

Name:	driver_side_mount_rot2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	69829   Click image for larger version

Name:	driver_side_mount_rot3.jpg
Views:	94