Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - S10 Floor Suggestion
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 06:06 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawarebill View Post
are u talking about welding the alum floor to the sides somewhere???? the side portion is steel and u can't weld steel to alum... i'll assume i have your comments wrong and the above is not a valid answer..????
Back in the day where I worked , they welded tons of aluminium to steel. Connections strong enough to hold the superstructure on ships.

The process used was out of reach of most.

I was working at Kaiser Aluminium as a millwright.

The company had received an order from a defence contractor for a special application.
It was very interesting, take a plate of steel, and a plate of aluminium, and roll them thru a hotmill.
The millions of tons of force generated when passing through the mill cause the steel and aluminium to fusion weld together.

I wish I knew which ships received this product and how well it worked.
It was an extremely noisy process which we called thunderplate due to the noise of the plate moving down the roll tables.
The defence contractor would cut the plate into specific size and shape then weld the steel to the ships deck and weld the new aluminium superstructure to the aluminum side.