S10 frame help. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2006, 04:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

S10 frame help.

well I was thinking about me next build that will be a custom build 30's style roadster body, possibly an RPU that I will build around an S10 Frame. want fenderless. I was thinking about a full fendered Model A I once saw that sat on an S10 frame but looked doofy as the front tires were set too far back, as I do not want this, I was thinking about fitting it with a transverse monoleafe spring over front suspension. I know that I could build a x member to fit the buggy spring to but is the S10 frame too wide to do so. I was looking at an Speedway front end kit when I was doing all the thinking. could I use bolt on radius rod brackets? how wide is an s10 frame? thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2006, 04:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

the 95ish era S dime is 40" from outside of the C to outside, perfect parrallel
Old 07-26-2006, 05:02 PM

Last photo:

so it should work as long as I get a axle over 40"
Old 07-26-2006, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

just looked at the speedway catalog, all the axles except the '42-'48 Ford are too narrow for the S10 frame to work, the spring perches are all under 40" except the '42-'48 Ford in which are 40 5/8" at the spring perch which if I could use that along with raidus rods to make a big version of the transverse monoleaf suspension of the 30's, that would be awsome. I would need the spring perches over 40" because the bracket for the radius rods uses the spring perch bolt for attachment
Old 07-26-2006, 05:26 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

The S-10 frame is too wide......Get some 3x2 or 4x2 rectangular tubeing and build you a model A frame. There are some members on this site that have all the measurements.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:38 PM

Last photo:

Is there any way I could have the axle lengthened the correct amount? due to my inexperience in welding, I'd rather get somepthing pre made so it don't fall apart on me and kill me. only got a flux wire welder and a stick welder anyway.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:02 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

matt167,

You've probably read all the prior threads regarding the use of S10 and other mini truck frames under 30's era cars...but in the event you haven't, they are worth doing a search and reviewing since they touch on many of the issues you will face trying to use an S10 frame.

In the final analysis I have to side with Henry Highrise on this one. By the time you get done massaging the S10 frame to look decent and work well with the rest of your components, you'll have spent much more time and money than just building the frame yourself. And if you are doing a custom body anyhow, you could just build a simple t-bucket type ladder frame rather than the more complex model A frame as suggested by HH.

I'll gladly eat my words on this one when and if someone ever posts pics of a good looking, fenderless T or A sitting on a mini truck frame. I'm seen many many attempts at this, including my own failed experiments, but I've never seen one that I'd want to own or drive.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:03 PM

Last photo:

how wide of a rear end do I need for a T bucket frame?. I'd just buy a '26-'27 frame from speedway and use bolt on brackets, I don't trust my welds enough for that. would a S10 rear be too wide? possibly use that for the donor. iff not I could find a Maverick/ Granada for a donor
Old 07-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Lost in the 60's

Don't take this the wrong way please.....but why don't you practice your welding some, or even perhaps take a night course in welding at a local vo-tech. If your really serious about really getting into hotrodding...it would be nice to be able to weld. Through the years I learned to weld and fabricate, to paint and do body work, as well as the mechanical stuff. It sure saves a lot of money being able to do your own work and it makes your hot rod mean more to you also knowing that you did almost everything yourself. Just my two cents worth.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:22 PM

Last photo:

I can weld fairly decent with the welders I have just afraid there too small. I have a 110 flux wire and a 110 buz box stick welder. I'm enrolled in an autoshop class it's out for the summer but last school year we were supposto learn to do some chassie repairs with a mig BUT, the mig croaked on the first day and was unrepairable. teacher got a new hobart for next year so that's when we'll learn that. I was practacing with my flux wire on building a welding cart for it out of 1" square tubing I had laying around. I just don't want my first real project sompthing that could potentially kill me if a weld fails. is there any way to have a frame stress checked?
Old 07-27-2006, 07:31 PM

Last journal entry: Steering box reversal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
Don't take this the wrong way please.....but why don't you practice your welding some, or even perhaps take a night course in welding at a local vo-tech. If your really serious about really getting into hotrodding...it would be nice to be able to weld. Through the years I learned to weld and fabricate, to paint and do body work, as well as the mechanical stuff. It sure saves a lot of money being able to do your own work and it makes your hot rod mean more to you also knowing that you did almost everything yourself. Just my two cents worth.

AMEN!

I, too, have a 110V flux core welder, and with the proper practice, you can weld (just about) anything you'll ever need to build a hot rod. Just practice. It's that simple. Don't be afraid. If you mess up, you can always re-do something. I tested my welds when I first started to be sure I was happy with the quality. I'd weld a few things together, then jump up and down on them, beat them with a hammer, and after I did that a few times, and I was happy, I started to build real projects.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe
AMEN!

I, too, have a 110V flux core welder, and with the proper practice, you can weld (just about) anything you'll ever need to build a hot rod. Just practice. It's that simple. Don't be afraid. If you mess up, you can always re-do something. I tested my welds when I first started to be sure I was happy with the quality. I'd weld a few things together, then jump up and down on them, beat them with a hammer, and after I did that a few times, and I was happy, I started to build real projects.
have you done frame work? I'd done exhaust work ans stuff like that but never structural welding except the welding cart, which I never got the castors for.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:14 PM
Lost in the 60's

The 30 Model A coupe in my avatar.......I boxed the frame rails and put in the crossmembers, the spreader bar, the four link brackets, welded in the mounting for the steering gear box, welded the brackets on the rear end housing for the four link and coil over brackets etc., everything. I also chopped the top four inches and filled in the roof.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:16 PM
Lost in the 60's

If you could convert your flux core welder over to use gas ( CO 2/Argon mix) and solid wire, your welds will be a lot better.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:09 PM

Last photo:

depending on the welder (I know the name brand welders can do this) you can change the polarity of the welder and add the gas set up too it and whoala you got whatcha need....that said I would take the advice of the folks that gave you advice, build what you need from clean steel, it will save you time, it will save you money (in the long run) and time is money dont forget, I would go ahead and build my own frame from 2X4 box, I just went through my 49 chevy frame and boxed the entire thing, narrowed the rear frame (thats how I know the S10 was 40" cause from cab back I made the 49 frame the S10 width for the chopped up S10 bed box I sacrificed for my custom bed) and quite honestly when it was all said and done I wished I would have just made new frame rails....it would have been ALOT easier. you figure approx 24' of welds on each side for boxing (12' on top of frame and bottom for a total of 48') plus all the custom brackets I made, the bridge, C-notch, headers, spreaders, etc....my $600 welder paid for itself in triplicate that doesnt include the two times I shortened the s10 bed (once in front of the wheelwell and once behind) narrowed it, welded the 49 fenders on, moved the header forward, welded the tailgate and tailights together etc etc....get the picture, learn how to weld proficiently and you'll be surprised at what you thought you could never do

all this done in my rinky dink garage
Attached Images

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.