S10 lighting issues... going insane! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 11:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

S10 lighting issues... going insane!

So we v8 swapped a 98 s10, heres my issue

I have no headlights, take the volt meter to the headlamp harness and both sides of the plug are getting 12 volts positive where one should be a ground. checked all fuses, swapped relays and stuff like that... and nothing.

No brake lights, well kinda. Turn the key on and the brake lights are on. push the peddle and they go out, but the third brake light comes on. On a side note, the head light harness loses power..

turn signals work, hazards work, interior lights work.

Another Question, Brand new summit gauges, all electrical. got them wired, they light up but all the needles go to the high side. whats that about?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2009, 09:47 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Your ground for the lighting circuit is missing. Trace it back. Most likely you broke a wire or failed to re-connect something.
All the issues could be related to the same ground issue. If you can locate a diagram it should be east to trace and fix

Chet
Old 08-11-2009, 01:03 PM

i figured it had to be a ground issue, but i cannot find any missing wires. everything was disconnected at the bottom of the fuse panel. there are four plugs. one for the front lighting harness, one for the body harness including the BCM, one for the rear lighting including the fuel pump and sender, the last was for the engine manegment computer which we just unhoooked when we yanked the 2.2. the plugs are indexed so they can only be hooked up one way. im not sure if there was a ground in the engine harness that could affect it. im going to the junk yard to nab another plug to try that today. im still not sure why i would have 12 volts positive to both wires though.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soule88
i figured it had to be a ground issue, but i cannot find any missing wires. everything was disconnected at the bottom of the fuse panel. there are four plugs. one for the front lighting harness, one for the body harness including the BCM, one for the rear lighting including the fuel pump and sender, the last was for the engine manegment computer which we just unhoooked when we yanked the 2.2. the plugs are indexed so they can only be hooked up one way. im not sure if there was a ground in the engine harness that could affect it. im going to the junk yard to nab another plug to try that today. im still not sure why i would have 12 volts positive to both wires though.
You are seeing 12 volts at both wires because teh bulb filiment is feeding it through most likely

Chet
Old 08-11-2009, 10:52 PM

no i was seeing 12 volts on both sides with out the bulb even in. Found my issue though. was one little black wire that had pulled out of the harness plug.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.