S10 project - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2002, 05:54 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post S10 project

My son and I are thinking about building a kit car from an Checy S10. This will be our first car project. We would like to have a built up big block. We are thinking about dual quads maybe a blower. We want around 400-600 hp and a heavy duty fourspeed. What block/transmission would you start with? Which ones are compatible with an S10 frame?

Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2002, 06:39 AM
Twin Turbo Drag Boat

Last journal entry: Random In Progress Shots

What kind of kit car? I am curious.

I do not know if a Chevy big block fits well. If it does, It does not matter what size. They are the same.

If you need a blower engine built, I can fix you up. A blown small block will make that much power no problem. Does not take much hi perf stuff to make a big block with that much power.

[ December 08, 2002: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]</p>
Old 12-08-2002, 11:07 AM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

A big block will fit a S-10, I've seen a few.I believe theres even a guy on this site who has one, theres probably some fabrication to be done though. I own one with a small block and its a pretty easy task. I personally just used different motor mounts that made the engine sit lower than the normal conversions, so I had to notch out the frame to clear the fuel pump. Also had to fab a cross member for the tranny(th350, hopefully a 700r4 in the spring) i'm also curious to what kit your going to build. Some kits would have limited room under the hood.

bonuts
Old 12-08-2002, 06:56 PM

THIS IS FOR BONUTS DID YOUR S-10 HAVE THE TBI AND ALL OF THAT COMPUTER STUFF? I HAVE 1991 CHEVY S-10 BLAZER 4X4 THAT CAME OUT WITH THE 4.3 AND I AM RUNNING THE 350 WITH THE TBI AND THE 350 COMPUTER AND I AM HAVING ONE HELL OF A TIME TO KEEP IT RUNNING RIGHT AND STOP BURNING OUT PLUGS SO I AM CHANGING TO CARB AND I WAS WONDERING WHAT TRICKS I WOULD NEED TO DO TO GET RID OF THE COMPUTER? CAN I JUST UNHOOK THE SENSORS FOR NOW EXPECT THE OIL AND THE TEMP AND BE OK AND JUST RUN A CARB AND HEI DIST AND BE OK OR WHAT? I JUST DONT WANT THE DAMN DUMMY LIGHT TO STAY ON..ANY SUGGESTIONS..THANKS
Old 12-08-2002, 07:18 PM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

"swapindonnie" my S-10 is an '82, they didn't come with any of that computer stuff. The swap to carburation should be easy though, and I personaaly don't run HEI, I run a mallory unilite system (it works great), so I wouldn't have to do any work to the firewall to fit HEI. I do however plan on doing a year round daily driver S-10, with the vortech 350 so 'll have to figure the computer gear out as well.

bonuts
Old 12-08-2002, 08:14 PM

big blocks will fit with work i own a 91 s-10 with a 396 alot of fab work is involved used a 1/4 sheet of alluminum fabbed up my own front mount plate kept the serpentene set up off of the 4.3 "will only work with this set up" the 4.3 accesories will not directly bolt on to a big block made my own headers ugly but hey they didnt cost a $1000 cut and trimed the a arms and crossmember cut the inner fenderwells and put the radiator in the radiator support hell this thing has a/c ,heat, the original firewall and the msd hei distributer fit fine if there are any non beleivers i will send picks. s-10 toy if you want more info or picks just ask this setup is not impossible and the end results are great need a cutting torch and mig welder for sure
Old 12-09-2002, 07:26 AM

swapindonnie,you should be able to get away with using a throttle body and o2 sensor for a 350 after installation disco your positive battery cable for 10-15 seconds to reset you computer,you might have to rob a pcm from a truck that had a 350 or 305 but i don't think it will be necessary.you might get away with using injectors for a 350 throttle body in your present unit.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:08 PM

coppertop this is swapindonnie and you said pcm from a 350 i have a 350 computer and will that work?..also i am just running open headers till i can get it running will that have any effect on it running right? i have the 350 injectors in it and have the o2 sensor also but i cant seem to get it going well...this has been one hell of a swap for me..any suggestions? thanks again
Old 12-09-2002, 02:24 PM

My cousin has an s10 and he dropped a chevy big block in it. He had all kinds of stuff like flowmasters holley carb and a supercharger. I didn't much like cars when he had it ( i was 12) I wanted to slap him when he emailed me and told me he got hydrolics put on it. If he didn't live in vegas i would have. But anyways back to the subject he had a chevy big block and he only did 7 dyno test over the whole time he had it and his most rescent was 560hp. It used to run low 12's oooh that's aall gone now. He emailed me the rest of thee tats if you want theem pm me.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.