S10 right rear brake light turn signal/ hazard light not working - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012, 05:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

S10 right rear brake light turn signal/ hazard light not working

I have an 85 s10 that has a wiring issue. Okay the bulb is good and the turn signal switch seems to be good because it had power from the connection after the switch. Now the left rear works. The right side doesn't. Any Ideas??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2012, 05:14 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Be sure to check for good ground and cintinuity at connections. There is an open between after the switch and ground. You said the bulb is good so the problem is in the wire, conns.
Get in there and start trouble shooting it.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:17 PM

Thank you.Where does the hazard and turn signal wire hook up after they leave they harness where the switch plugs in?
Old 07-07-2012, 04:47 AM

Last photo:

My guess is bad ground at your taillight housing. Take a jumper wire from a good grounding point and touch it to the bulb housing and see if it works.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:20 AM

Well I was thinking that but my regular lights work when I turn headlights on taillight lights up on same bulb. It has to have ground to it for tht to work
Old 07-07-2012, 09:50 AM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:

The easiest way to find out is to go to the light bulb socket and see if you have voltage. If you do it is a ground side problem or a bulb. If you dont have voltage and since you know you have voltage after the switch the problem is in the wire. You need to trace the wire and visually inspect it for being broken. If you dont see anything obvious I dont recommend it but the easiest way is to pierce the wire every foot or so until the voltage is no longer present. When you find it just replace that section of wire and check the socket again.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:03 AM

Do you know where the hazard light wire hooks into the turn signal wire. I know that pretty much eliminates the switch being bad but the i need to figure out where those run into eachother
Old 07-08-2012, 04:24 AM

Last photo:

I'm not pos on your truck, but every other chevy I've ever worked on, the tail lights (running lights) are seperate from the turns/brakes and the runnings lights socket could be good and the turn socket might not have a good ground........ hince the temp jumper from the socket to a good ground test
Old 07-08-2012, 04:42 AM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Have you actually tested the bulb to make sure it's good or just looked at the filiments for breaks?
Old 07-08-2012, 08:17 AM

Yes I have made sure the bulb is good. Its a double filament. Works on the other side when I put it in the socket but doesnt work on right rear socket. The running lights work on the same bulb on the right. Turn signal, Brake light and hazard does not. I dont think it is getting power to the dark green wire but I dont have a multimeter to tell
Old 07-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Very good, I was wondering if you tried the bulb on the other side, I am amazed at how many guys don't do this. I had a "tech" () in the shop the other day tell the office that a car needed a door lock switch because it wasn't locking and unlocking the door. I walked out there, popped the other doors switch and checked it and you guessed it, worked like a charm. insert two rolling eyes smilies.

He had spent a BUNCH of the customers money on this problem and it really ticked me off, sorry to highjack the thread.

Brian
Old 07-08-2012, 08:27 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Getting back to your problem, those lights as I remember have a short harness that plug into the main harness at the left frame rail, check that plug. I think it has one there, haven't work on one in a while.

Brian
Old 07-08-2012, 08:28 AM

Yeah, some people just dont think about it or something Idk. I dont believe the malfunction switch is bad but i could be wrong. Both the front turn signals work. But just the one dark green wire has no power and ground is good because I just replaced it.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:19 AM

yes it does have harness there. Idk how to check to see if is alrite. Looks like there is a 4 way plug in deal back there like you said where a bunch of wires plug into the 4 wire connection
Old 07-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Check for power at the green wire in the 4-way plug (trailer connection), with someone stepping on the brake pedal.

If no power----
Follow that harness all the up to where it connects to the firewall.
(not sure how yours connects, but my old C-10 has it's harness and connector
at the firewall)

If no power at the front end of the truck, I personally would be willing to bet
that you have a bad turn switch or harness.

For a relatively quick check, with that harness unplugged at the firewall, apply 12 volts to the pin with the green wire and see if the light comes on-----if it does, your wiring to the rear is okay.

If it does not----and assuming that your dash harness has not been molested, it is most likely a bad switch.

Front and rear turn signal circuits are completely separated within the turn switch.

If you lil s-10 has a tilt steering column, the wires could have broken inside the column.

I have had to replace the the turn switch in my 79 C-10 3 times for broken wires inside the column-----constant up and down of the steering wheel had fatigued the wires to their breaking point.

Bryan

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.