s10 suspension recommendations - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 03:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

s10 suspension recommendations

hows it goin? i have decided on building an s10 v8 project. what i want is a truck that handles like a cat on carpet. so far i have decided on a full ciol over setup in front using tubular control arms from spohn and a coil over they sell. the rear is a toss up so far. four link with a pan hard bar. triangulated 4 link. 3 link wish bone. or as far out as a vette rear end. what i need is some good sound advice about the pros and cons of each setup, cost, performance, and feasability. thanks for reading my question i look forward to any responses.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2007, 01:26 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

I don't have much first-hand experience with it, but I knew a guy in college who took a totalled C4 vette and transplanted most of the chassis to an S10. He showed me the rear and in his words, it was almost like it was designed for the S10. The width is just right and the "ears" that bolt the C4 center section fit perfectly between the frame rails of the S10. He just welded some tabs on the frame and bolted it in. It was slick.

His was actually a mid-engine extended cab truck. The front of the engine was behind the driver's seat, and the 700r4 was just bolted to the rear diff with a CV joint. It was running but the suspension wasn't done, but it was a mean project and surprisingly pretty straight forward. The main difficulty was the bodywork associated with putting an LT1/700r4 in the cab/bed of the truck.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:40 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

Take a look at some of the stuff these guys have for g-bodies (same suspension as S10).
http://www.scandc.com/products.htm
and read about them more on www.montecarloss.com

The stock roll center is underground. You can either get a taller spindle or taller ball joints to help this. Do a search on B-body brake swaps.

If you want it to handle you do not want a 4-link plus a Panhard bar (aka track bar for the roundy round guys).

Look into either a 3-link+Panhard or a torque arm+Panhard (like F-bodies).

Most of the stock spring rate should be good up front. Be careful with coil-over kits out there because many are set up for drag racing and have too soft of springs with very few choices for spring rates. Balance it out with rear springs, Panhard bar height, and a speedway engineering anti-roll bar.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:04 PM

Last journal entry: after much anticipation
Last photo:

on option already mentioned above is what i did on my 91 tall ball joints from allstar performance 1/2" taller than stock uppers 46.99 retail (look around i got mine for just above half that) part# all56019 and lowers for same retail part # all56047 jegs sells them as do other outlets Allstar Performance - racing and high performance car parts, accessories and specialty tools. thats their website they also sell tubular cont arms under the monte carlo application these will lower your front about a 1/2 inch aswell as fix some camber issues couple that with drop spindles and decent springs big sway bar and your golden. For the rear you may consider a slid-a-link type rear suspension as the have the possibility to retain stock springs for budget builds and give a dramatic increase in traction really is hard to beat or go with mono-leaf springs or another stiffer spring or even load carrier shocks with stock leafs for a real budget rear susp. this is just a suggestion but don't knock it they work better than you might think also if you're gonna be tackling the curves you may consider getting a steering gearbox from the parts store from an 80's monte with the sport ratio (2.5 turns lock to lock as opposed to the 3.5 turn stock s10/montecarlo box) hope this was helpful and good luck!!!
Old 07-21-2012, 09:06 PM

Last journal entry: after much anticipation
Last photo:

sorry i forgot to mention allstar performance is a wholesaler you'll need to find a dealer and you cant order from their website but like i said jegs carries alot of their merchandise

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.