s10 v8? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2009, 10:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

s10 v8?

Hey guys i got a 95 s10 regular cab and i've done paint, wheels, hood, roll pan, and the pretty stuff but i'm not happy with the performance of my 4.3 with the automatic trans. I had a cobra mustang before so the power not being there is killing me.

I'm wanting to drop a v8 in but not really sure where to start or what i need. I'm young so i don't know much about custom stuff like this but i have rebuilt a few motors. I've got a 350 with no oil pan valve covers water pump. I'd like to have around 280-300 rear wheel. Needing to know what to buy to start my build.

Since I'd like to have around 300 hp means I'll need a beefy rear end right?

Any help is very appreciated

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009, 05:05 AM

Last photo:

Go to v8s10.com they have all the info you are looking for, including bluprints for mount plates, rearend swap info etc.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:14 AM

Last photo:

hi there fella.
with a 95 youll need to decide if your going to retain all your engine electrics or bin it all and put a carb on.
I went for the carb option and the build has just grown and grown.
I would advise that you get yourself a good plan and dont let the build go on too long otherwise it will end up on ebay as one of those " unfinished projects " we see all too often.
good luck
mark
Old 05-28-2009, 09:25 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody10
Hey guys i got a 95 s10 regular cab and i've done paint, wheels, hood, roll pan, and the pretty stuff but i'm not happy with the performance of my 4.3 with the automatic trans. I had a cobra mustang before so the power not being there is killing me.

I'm wanting to drop a v8 in but not really sure where to start or what i need. I'm young so i don't know much about custom stuff like this but i have rebuilt a few motors. I've got a 350 with no oil pan valve covers water pump. I'd like to have around 280-300 rear wheel. Needing to know what to buy to start my build.

Since I'd like to have around 300 hp means I'll need a beefy rear end right?

Any help is very appreciated

Get these and follow the recepie:

Chevrolet S-10 Truck V-8 Conversion Manual
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Che..._S-10_V-8.html

Chevrolet TPI & TBI V8 Engine Swapping
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Che...I_TBI_V-8.html

On line blogging http://www.s10forum.com/forum/index.php

Bogie
Old 05-28-2009, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

the conversion manual is a great reference but all i actually used from JTR was the motor mounts.
its a good read though and i think mike knell is on his 15th edition.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:02 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

welcome to HR forums.

most ppl dont worry about the rear axle

if you are lucky you can find a 8.5" axle from one of these trucks im not sure what years they were but they were in the later '90's early '00's

if you are concerned.

but i wouldnt be really.

i have a '91 2wd BTW, with the common vin Z TBI 4.3L, and 700r4 and 3.07 ratio 7.625" axle

another option is a ford explorer axle they are the 8.8" ford axle and will bolt under these trucks but you do need to modify the shock mount brackets, and use a special ford to GM conversion u-joint from napa auto parts. but you can buy these axles for real cheap at most yards and many are LS equipped

you will be spending alot to do the conversion, starting with special exhaust, and engine mounts and modifying the rad support to stuff a radiator in it,
and so on and so forth.

my '91 4.3L is very fast in bone stock form. it will sit and roast the rear for as long as i ever want to, and VERY easily, very little effort required at all.. but it will also grab and go if i want to go fast, also very easily. i think getting air into and out of these 4.3L engines is the secret and is what really wakes them up!

it has full custom aftermarket split Y pipe and 24" chrome pipe tip mufflers out the rear.
it is far from lacking in power and speed for sure.,

so maybe yours just is tired and in need of work. or maybe the exhaust is messed up or very restrictive.
because it should run very strong and have really good bottom end torque if its in good condition.

a few s10 v8 conversion threads, are a million more on these forums here if you just do a quick search for them haha:
S10 V8 Conversion pointers........

v8 S10 questions

87 s10 v8 conversion

i assume you have access to a shop and lift and hoist and knowledgable ppl who knows chevies etc. and also have alot of cash saved and ready as well.

good luck!!

Last edited by fast68; 05-28-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:46 PM

Last photo:

Well if this helps any I have two s10's both with v8's in them. One is more for a daily driver and my main set of wheels wich is being built at this moment and the other is a weekend only type deal. On my 86 s10 it has around 450 to 470 horses at flywheel and around 350 to 375 at the rear wheels. I just have the stock gm 7.5 10 bolt. My secret to keeping my rearend on there is I don't put the petal to the floor and don't run the crap out of it all the time and also it will spin the tires and then go not just stick and go. I know if I had slicks on there it would not hold up. I get on it once in a while but not too much that it would blow it apart. If your wanting over 300 rwhp then you will have to get close to 400 horses at the flywheel or more and with a 350 and a mild cam with around 220@50 and over 500 plus lift and a good aftermarket set of heads and intake with a good carb its easy. I should be making around 375 to 400 hp with over 420 ftlbs of torque in my 96 s'10. My 350 already in there that I am ditching is basically a drop in with the advance adapter motor mounts. It just bolted right up. Now for cooling you may or may not have to do some custom work depending on what radiator and what type of fan you use. I am putting in a 350 turbo to go with it and ditching the 700r4 in it. Don't need overdrive since I will be chaning gears in the back next year anyways. Go with a good aftermarket Hei and ditch electronics and get a nice carb for it. That is what I did. But for tbi or tpi you will have a lot more custom work and stuff to do. Good luck
Eric
Old 05-29-2009, 01:33 PM

does it really matter what year 350 i get ?
Old 05-29-2009, 03:03 PM

Last photo:

Any year 350 5.7 small block will be the same. The only difference is there is a one piece rear main seal block wich is the late model block from 87-99 and the 86 and earler has a two piece rear main seal. The 87 up blocks has provisoins for a oem roller cam setup as to where the older block does not. But as far as just putting in any will bolt up the same.
Eric
Old 05-29-2009, 03:06 PM

Last photo:

my 350 is from a 78 full size, was that a particularly good year eric.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:30 PM

Last photo:

Yes a lot of the earlier 350 blocks where good. I can't say for sure but yours might be a 4 bolt main if its from a heavy duty truck. If there was a way you can get the numbers from the back side of the block there is a website that says what it is. As far as cylinder heads it most lickley has the old smogger heads and they don't flow very well. But with some port work and a decent sized cam and with flat top pistons you could get a little over 300 horses pretty easy. That motor will work good in your s10. There will have to be some custom work done but should not be too much but you will want someone who can help you and knows about such stuff. I would use that block and have it bored .030 and check to see if the crank is still good then get it done .010 under and for the cost of resizing old rods you could get a new set for around $180 from scat. Get new bearings pistons rings and what ever else few things you need and you will be good to go. It would probably cheaper to get a new set of stock heads from someone like advance auto parts then to pay a machine shop to re do your heads. There a lot of options for a 350 and what you can get for it. Good luck
Eric
Old 05-30-2009, 02:49 AM

Last photo:

cheers eric
the website says 2 or 4 bolt but i havent stripped it so i dont know which yet.
ive seen it running so just fitted it as is for now.

This projecthas gone on for too long so i want to get some miles out of it for now.
i know the engines had work already but im unsure whats been done.

as usual the problem over here is the cost of postage and duty to us when ordering parts so i work with what ive got until finances dictate otherwise.
mark
Old 05-30-2009, 05:59 PM

Last photo:

Hi Mark if your engine is running good now and does not need anything done to it then by all means just put it in and drive it. My first 350 for my 86 s10 wich I got back in 97 was just an old used 350 nothing fancy had some miles but nothnig like high miles. I ran it like that for about a year and it did fine. It seems the more beefed up I made over time the more hassels I had with it. I stroked to a 383 and started to find out about flat tappet cam failures so i went back to a 350 and got everything new and made it a roller. The only problem now is I put too much of a cam in it and will be taking it out later on this summer and putting my old one back in. Good luck on your build just take your time and enjoy what you got now and get more parts later on down the road.
Eric
Old 05-31-2009, 08:10 AM

Last photo:

thats the plan eric.
stand out in the crowd . were midway through the build now with bodywork still to do but its the little problems that give us the most hassle like the th400 kickdown and finding all the stuff i bought a year ago.

its the downhill slope were on though.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.