Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - s10 v8 idle overheating problem
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 11:42 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

s10 v8 idle overheating problem

Hello guys I have an issue here with overheating at idle and only at idle on both of my chevy s10's one is a 86 other is a 96. This is mostly info about my 96 but both trucks are pretty much the same outside of engine combo's and power. I can drive at 25 mph or up and have no problems with truck running hot what so ever even in 90 degree weather and high humidity.

Truck runs about 180 to 190 until I get stuck in traffic and have to sit for several minutes. So yesterday I wanted to see just how much of a problem I have so it was running a steady 190 then I sat outside my house and sat there watching it idle and the temp gauge and within about 5 minutes it got up to 210 then after a few more minutes it got up to 220. Temp gauge shows 210 then a mark then 250.

I purchased a laser thermometer gun and it did register almost the same as what the gauge did on the thermostat housing and read over 215 on the radiator and over 200 plus on the corner of the aluminum head.

Everything on cooling system is fairly new and very clean as I don't drive that much and all new 50/50 mix antifreeze. I am running a regular 160 thermostat with two holes drilled for bypass and I have also ran a 180 stat and there is no difference in how the temperatures go. I have tired the high flow thermostat before but they make the engine run too cold down the highway and during winter months its horrible so can't use them. I am currently using a high flow water pump oem style and I also tried using a stock oem water pump and neither one makes a difference in temperature for idle.

I have more then enough radiator as I am running an aftermarket all aluminum 29/17 two core radiator and each row is one inch each so that is not the problem there. Running a flex fan that pulls very good as feel anyways as you sit at idle if you put your hand toward the radiator you can feel it pull air so I am thinking its a shroud type issue as you can see in my pictures its a home made deal and nothing fancy. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should or can do.

I don't think a clutch fan will make any difference but I don't know as I have never used one just read some people don't like them and some are ok with them. From what I read flex fans work better for low speed air flow. I honestly want to keep my flex fan as I like it running all the time and not have to depend on a clutch style to engage as I like the peace of mind its running. I will do what I have to do to get this fixed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0714131744.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	950.8 KB
ID:	75709   Click image for larger version

Name:	0714131745a.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	599.5 KB
ID:	75710   Click image for larger version

Name:	0714131745b.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	595.7 KB
ID:	75711   Click image for larger version

Name:	0714131744a.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	803.3 KB
ID:	75712  

Last edited by eric32; 07-15-2013 at 11:52 AM.