Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - s10 v8 idle overheating problem
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 04:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wow what a lot of info thanks guys. I will have to see about the shroud and I do have some knowledge on the cutch fans and how they work its just I never owned anything that I drive that has one except the wife's envoy but its not a performance vehicle with a customized v8 installed.

Now from what I read on other forums doing a google search one side says a flex fan worked better then a clutch fan and dropped there temperature 20 degrees at idle and worked way better just changing out the fan. And others said using a clutch fan was way better then using a flex fan. I have no experience when it comes to this stuff.

My first idea is making a bottom piece to go around the bottom of my home made shroud so the air flow wont be blowing towards the bottom of the ground on the bottom half and help for the air being pulled through the radiator to be better concentrated through the fan radius.

What are you opinions on this? If I were to switch over to a clutch fan I feel like it might not work still cause it will basically be blowing the air the same way regardless of what fan I use. I know that a proper shroud is very important and I bet if I get it straightened out it will work fine. If that is the case and what I got does not work I don't know anything about getting a replacement shroud as my trucks are both cut and customized to fit a bigger radiator in the front in order to cool a v8 and a factory shroud for a s10 will never fit.

I understand the temp has to be around 190 in order to burn and run good and mine is about 190 during the summer months and 180 during winter but during summer like I posted it will get too hot and run as high as 230 and still want to climb as I turned it off yesterday when it got to that point as it never stopped.

As far as timing goes I ran manifold vacuum advance before cam swap but changed out heads and put a more performance cam and developed carb off idle backfire problem and doing different timing settings made no difference till I had to run ported as it running off of manifold with my initial they did not get along with the carburetor and no amount of changes would get rid of it till I changed from full manifold to ported and a little more initial and regardless it did not make any difference on idle temperature. I would be happy to do a clutch fan in order to not have to install a electric setup. Thanks guys for your help as it is worth its weight in gold as I need to get this fixed.