s10 v8 idle overheating problem - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013, 02:29 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,154 Times in 953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric32 View Post
My current 6 blade flex fan is 17 inches and I looked at summit and I would not know where to start if I need to go to a clutch fan setup.
Forget about the fan and fabricate a shroud. That should be your main concern right now. You could make an effective shroud from scratch by bending up some lightweight aluminum sheeting and pop riveting it together. It doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to guide the air in the proper direction.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 03:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

If you use any type of fan clutch on the water pump hub, you must use a factory fan that fits the fan clutch and the fan clutch bolt pattern. That is why fabricators use flex fans and fan spacers.

When I installed a 1970 Pontiac 455 engine in my '55 Chevy, I used a flex fan and spacer, no fan shroud. The 4-tube radiator came from a '68 Oldsmobile and the radiator shop sectioned the radiator tanks and core and neatly fitted it to the '55 Chevy radiator support. The engine ran 180* with a 180* thermostat in Texas summer heat with 4.10 rear gears on the highway at 4500 RPM.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:04 AM

Last photo:

I found this make your own custom shroud kit at summit and I believe this will be what I need and should work wonders with my flex fan. I don't think I need a clutch fan just yet as tech said I need to get my shroud going first then test and see how this goes. Like I said it pulls a lot of air you can feel itpulling but as you seen the photos its needs a proper shroud like the oem's use. Thanks a lot guys I got a direction and what I need to do. Cheers all.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...8-sh/overview/
Old 07-21-2013, 01:16 PM

Last photo:

Ok guys talked with my Dad over the weekend and the shroud I posted will not work with what I currently have so what we are going to do is close up the bottom as much as we can and see how it goes. Hopefully it will work but if I need to replace the flex fan with a clutch fan I have several issues. Where I live its hard to find anything less then mid 90's for vehicles at the local junkyards and my belt system is a v belt setup with a clockwise rotation fan and if I got a clutch fan from a local junk yard it will be a counter clockwise rotation fan and a serpentine setup. I just put a brand new water pump on and I don't want to have to change everything out just to run a counter clockwise rotation clutch fan. I want to run a heavy duty one but I don't know the first place to look and how to get the proper depth of a clutch fan. Any suggestions on where to start and what I should look for? I have never looked to buy one before. Hope some one can help me with some info.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric32 View Post
Ok guys talked with my Dad over the weekend and the shroud I posted will not work with what I currently have so what we are going to do is close up the bottom as much as we can and see how it goes. Hopefully it will work but if I need to replace the flex fan with a clutch fan I have several issues. Where I live its hard to find anything less then mid 90's for vehicles at the local junkyards and my belt system is a v belt setup with a clockwise rotation fan and if I got a clutch fan from a local junk yard it will be a counter clockwise rotation fan and a serpentine setup. I just put a brand new water pump on and I don't want to have to change everything out just to run a counter clockwise rotation clutch fan. I want to run a heavy duty one but I don't know the first place to look and how to get the proper depth of a clutch fan. Any suggestions on where to start and what I should look for? I have never looked to buy one before. Hope some one can help me with some info.
If u have an abundance if 90's stuff, why not grab elec fans? Ford focus fans, Stratus or intrpid fans with shroud can be had for next to nothing.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:04 AM

Last photo:

That is a option but I would like to have the fan instead as I am not a big fan of electric fans. I will see how it goes with a different add on to what I already got then go from there. I can get a standard duty clutch fan from summit but from what I read they don't cool as good as a heavy duty or a severe duty clutch fan. I don't know if a standard duty one would be good enough or not.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:42 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
Forget about the fan and fabricate a shroud. That should be your main concern right now. You could make an effective shroud from scratch by bending up some lightweight aluminum sheeting and pop riveting it together. It doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to guide the air in the proper direction.
X2 the fan is fine, too much ado about flex fans, they work fine just keep an eye on the rivets securing the blades to the hub, they sometimes fail in groups which risks a blade coming off.

The root problem is the lack of a shroud. The shroud must fit the perimiter of the radiator (at least the core) tightly. Then fair in the shape to just enclose the fan plus some engine movement space around the diameter. Without this type set up the only place the idleing engine's fan pulls air is just in front of the fan. This leaves half or more of the core with little to no air movement hence no heat transfer to the atmosphere. The shroud uses the fan to develop a low pressure area behind the entire core, therefore, there is air pulling through all the available cooling surface instead of half of it.

Clutch fans would make no difference in cooling, though are quieter at cruise where they are not needed so they clutch out and just coast with the air streaming past. Plus, there isn't any forward space for them in an S10/15 conversion. Electric fans suffer many of the same issues with a inability to configurationally cover the needed core area and take up too much space especially when properly mounted using some bracket method that doesn't use fastening the can to the core.

So keep the fan you have and either buy a decent shroud kit; examples:
Aluminum Fan Shroud, 28 W x 18.5 H - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop

A configuration that couldn be home fabricated and is very strong:
Google Image Result for http://www.cadtechindustries.com/Images/products/Offroad%20parts/radiator%20shroud.jpg

Bogie
Old 07-22-2013, 02:34 PM

Last photo:

I was going to go that route but I can't with the way my motor sits the fan comes above the radiator and even using a smaller 15 inch it still will be slightly above the top. I am going to hopefully enclose the bottom up some and re do the top section and I am also going to try to cut out some of the lower air dam to allow more air as my fan only is pulling air through the top half of the radiator and the bumper air dam on the bottom of the bumper covers the rest of the radiator. Going to try a few things and I will post back of what happens. Getting ready for a paint job too so will have hands full.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

Here is an update guys I just got back from my dad's house and I finally with his help got a real shroud on this thing. I could not use a clutch fan as it hit the radiator and it is forward as far as it can go even to the point we cut into the core support when we stuffed a v8 in it four years ago. Its only low 60's so I can not really test it yet too see if its enough but you can't get any better then this for a shroud setup as its from a s10 and had to just cut some here and there to make it work but man it pulls a lot more air then it used to and I am still having to use a flex fan but if this does not do it then next summer I will get a electric setup for it. Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0923131415.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	621.2 KB
ID:	83178   Click image for larger version

Name:	0923131415a.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	626.8 KB
ID:	83186  

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.