Saab Turbos on SBC - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2010, 07:36 PM

Last journal entry: it can roll now
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by zildjian4life218
Carb will need to be converted to blow through. Or go fuel injection. How much boost was it making? How did the turbos spool and at what rpm?
Thanks for the info,i wish that was a cheap fix because im not really interested in putting any money into this just so it witll work. im not really sure on exact numbers because i dont have gadges or anything hooked up but i would say it really starts to spool around 2500-3000 but not sure how much boost it has but do know it has enough that it would make a huge different if all if it was blowing in for sure. hope your project works, good luck

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanam
Thanks for the info,i wish that was a cheap fix because im not really interested in putting any money into this just so it witll work. im not really sure on exact numbers because i dont have gadges or anything hooked up but i would say it really starts to spool around 2500-3000 but not sure how much boost it has but do know it has enough that it would make a huge different if all if it was blowing in for sure. hope your project works, good luck
what did u use for turbo manifolds? im thinking about using some stock center dumb manifolds and welding some 2" pipe onto a T25 flange.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:28 PM
More for Less Racer

Zildjian, you may also want to consider using a BBC oil pump and drilling the main saddles in the block for oil squirt cooling jets to spray the bottom of the cast pistons in that 305, to aid cooling the piston and help reliability.

I don't know if this is absolutely necessary as I have no turbo experience, but have read up on it, a lot of foreign factory turbo engines have them.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:55 PM

Last journal entry: it can roll now
Last photo:

Quote:
what did u use for turbo manifolds? im thinking about using some stock center dumb manifolds and welding some 2" pipe onto a T25 flange.
All i did was take 1/4 inch plate and made the flange it needed and built the rest with 2 1/2 ID pipe running into it and bolted the turbo on.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:31 AM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
Zildjian, you may also want to consider using a BBC oil pump and drilling the main saddles in the block for oil squirt cooling jets to spray the bottom of the cast pistons in that 305, to aid cooling the piston and help reliability.

I don't know if this is absolutely necessary as I have no turbo experience, but have read up on it, a lot of foreign factory turbo engines have them.
Do you know where i have to drill and tap? If you can give me dimensions I would def consider it.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

i got the first turbo today. they are Garret T25 units and .42/.49ar

Last edited by zildjian4life218; 05-09-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:17 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Do you know where i have to drill and tap? If you can give me dimensions I would def consider it.
I can give you the basic idea and some dimensions. The holes are drilled in the main saddles on an angle to point at the wrist pin/rod small end when at mid travel in the bore. This ensures that as the piston moves up and down the bore the oil jet will cover from one side of the underside of the piston to the other. The feed side of these holes comes out into the main saddle about 5/16" or so toward the oil pan rail (one each side)from the factory oil hole in each main saddle. You then have to grind a small connecting channel slot from each hole to the factory oil hole below the main bearing insert(main saddle) The holes are tapped at the upper end for a Holley air bleed jet with an .020-.028" hole in it.

If you have David Vizard's book "How to Build Max Performance Small Block Chevy's on a Budget" is has pics of exactly where they are placed.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Quote:
I can give you the basic idea and some dimensions. The holes are drilled in the main saddles on an angle to point at the wrist pin/rod small end when at mid travel in the bore. This ensures that as the piston moves up and down the bore the oil jet will cover from one side of the underside of the piston to the other. The feed side of these holes comes out into the main saddle about 5/16" or so toward the oil pan rail (one each side)from the factory oil hole in each main saddle. You then have to grind a small connecting channel slot from each hole to the factory oil hole below the main bearing insert(main saddle) The holes are tapped at the upper end for a Holley air bleed jet with an .020-.028" hole in it.

If you have David Vizard's book "How to Build Max Performance Small Block Chevy's on a Budget" is has pics of exactly where they are placed.
i will be ordering that book within the next couple days
this one right http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/r...2494847&sr=8-1
Old 05-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Hey eric I ordered the book from amazon. Are these the air bleeds you were talking about? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-142-22/
Old 05-09-2010, 03:06 PM
More for Less Racer

That's the book, and those are the bleeds. The book you have coming shows the location and mentions pressing a restricter in the hole but doesn't give sizes. It is an a short section on nitrous piston cooling but it also applies to turbo's

The Holley bleed and the bleed size came from one of Vizard's other books - "How to Work With and Modify Chevy Cranks, Rods, and Pistons". This book is currently out of print and going for upwards of $150 on Amazon. A friend of mine has this book and I took notes from it and added them to my Vizard "...Max Performance..." book. I tell you this so you won't be alarmed when you get the book you ordered and you see that it doesn't give the bleed size, just shows how it is done.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Quote:
That's the book, and those are the bleeds. The book you have coming shows the location and mentions pressing a restricter in the hole but doesn't give sizes. It is an a short section on nitrous piston cooling but it also applies to turbo's

The Holley bleed and the bleed size came from one of Vizard's other books - "How to Work With and Modify Chevy Cranks, Rods, and Pistons". This book is currently out of print and going for upwards of $150 on Amazon. A friend of mine has this book and I took notes from it and added them to my Vizard "...Max Performance..." book. I tell you this so you won't be alarmed when you get the book you ordered and you see that it doesn't give the bleed size, just shows how it is done.

Alright thanks for the heads up. I will be posting progress and pictures as i put the motor together. I want to get the bottom end together in the next couple weeks.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Hey i was helping my machinist clean out his shop today and he gave me a set of 487X heads that need one exhaust seat installed. Should I use these instead of the 882s? Are they any good? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-12-2010, 09:51 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Hey i was helping my machinist clean out his shop today and he gave me a set of 487X heads that need one exhaust seat installed. Should I use these instead of the 882s? Are they any good? Thanks in advance!
I have gone 12.30's with a simple solid cam ,short rod, 9-1 compression 383(3700lb car) using a home ported set of these 487X heads. Intake ports are supposed to be bigger than 487(hence the X designation) but I didn't check that, just ported and installed 2.02 and 1.6 valves. Pretty much just a bowl blend, guide slimming, and light port clean-up, widened as much as possible at the pinch, and clearanced the chamber around the intake valve.

Definately a better head than the 882's, heavier casting than later 882's.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:42 AM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Quote:
I have gone 12.30's with a simple solid cam ,short rod, 9-1 compression 383(3700lb car) using a home ported set of these 487X heads. Intake ports are supposed to be bigger than 487(hence the X designation) but I didn't check that, just ported and installed 2.02 and 1.6 valves. Pretty much just a bowl blend, guide slimming, and light port clean-up, widened as much as possible at the pinch, and clearanced the chamber around the intake valve.

Definately a better head than the 882's, heavier casting than later 882's.
What does it generally cost to have the seats installed?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:54 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
What does it generally cost to have the seats installed?
Well, you'll need a valve job with a new seat, and since you're doing that you may as well get new valves... cheapest "I just need it done" solution is going to be around $100. To go with larger valves and have all the seats done to match along with some bowl blending- $500.

Can he avoid putting in a new seat by moving up a valve size? Often this can save it. It costs a little more but you end up with larger valves- you gain something from your expense rather than just making it as good as it was before.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.