Hot Rod Forum banner

Sacramento Autorama 2017.

1K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  tech69 
#1 ·
Yesterday I took off with Nick over to my buddy Steve's house and we headed off for the Sacramento Autorama, the closest indoor mega crazy near flawless car, car show near to me.

We missed it last year and had to make it this year! It's a few hours away, driving a funky handicapped converted van that far is not fun. The seat is like torture! The road has some seriously funky areas with the van rattling wheel chair lift, and seeing Steve sitting in that damn chair behind me we belt the chair to the floor on trips like this, it's not a fun drive I'll tell you.

But damn we had a good time, he got a die cast car of course (knows the people on a first name basis!) I told him those cars are like crack to him! LOL

What a great time we had though, some great conversation with other gear heads be it they owned the car or were just admiring it with me. We had some great conversations, one of the reasons I love to go.

Brian

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
First was the low rider rooms. Low riders aren't my thing, but at the same time lots of memories of them driving around town when I was in highschool. Plus, some amazing workmanship and passion!

Honestly, the low rider dudes make the hot rodders look like want-a-bes at spending money! HOLY CRAP, I am looking at some of these cars and thinking how I could build something like 10 of my trucks, literally, I am even thinking I could build the shop to build those 10 trucks for what ONE of these cars costs!

Attachments

Reactions: 123pugsy
#4 ·
This "bike" was awesome, they have a whole room of bikes. The 57 is a neighbor of Steve's whom he ran into there.

Attachments

#5 ·
There were two of these "Rancheros" made from Shoeboxes back in the fifties. Both with magazine coverage back then. The one is fully restored while the other they had on display in bare metal showing the lead all over it. Pretty cool stuff!

Attachments

#6 ·
I have seen this truck before and posted about it here. It's just too amazing! Every single square inch on it was modified. Check out the slanting of the rear of the roof to match the door pillar! I never would have even noticed it without having chatted with the father of the guy who owns the shop were it was built.

How about this 53-54 Chevy check out the B pillar! It was also built by the same shop.

The Bonniville car is their "hobby" with the son driving it now. The dad whom we chatted with for quite some time had a lot of time behind the wheel out there years ago. He told us his first time out there was when he was five in 1949 on a road trip with his family and his dad saw that they were racing out there as he was going down the hiway and took a little detour taking his family to see it.

Attachments

#7 ·
Random shots, I love the displays, the 37 Chevy is a friend of mines.

The green Chevy was a KNOCK IT OUT OF THE PARK custom, damn that sucker was perfect!

Check out the Maverick hood. I don't remember ever seeing this, the hood is held on with four hood pins. You can lift it off or leave the two rear pins in holding it to the hinges. Hmmmm

Attachments

#8 ·
A few of next to perfect hot rods. I dig the Cheetah, and the Falcon, come on, Nick got some ideas.

Attachments

#9 ·
I had a long conversation with the owner of this little work of art. I am glad my wife wasn't with me, I would have felt dirty looking at that car with her there, OMG that thing is sensual!

He drives it on the street, notice the mirrors. He has raced it once and it scared him so he has to work himself up to it again. But what a cool car, damn I could see driving that sucker every day.

Attachments

#10 ·
Never have cared about these trucks but damn I have grown to like them. Check out the big window "unibody" notice that the bed is part of the cab! If you didn't know they made these, they did from 61-63 the one on the other side of the big window is a regular truck, same year. Then the other "unibody" one is a small window.

I say "Unibody" because they still have a full frame under them, the body it's self is just all one piece. Another great conversation with the owner of one of them.

Attachments

#11 ·
Few random.

The Nailhead powered F-100 was a nice thing to see after accidently looking into the engine compartment of the Riv next to it to see an LS6 motor. Nick tried to stop me, he pushed me away....but I couldn't "unsee" it! Thank goodness the truck was next to it to get my hope for humanity back.

Attachments

#12 ·
The model A is a friend of mine who is also in a rock a billy band so it was fitting I ran into him and we chatted while watching this rock a billy band. These guys were GOOD, check out those old dudes on bass and drums, they were killing it! The lead singer is just outstanding, what a showman.

Attachments

#13 ·
This Camaro....I just don't know what to think. I had to take a bunch of pictures to discuss it on a Camaro forum I visit.

I love the "concept car" idea, you know that, I am crazy about that. But this one, man I have a hard time with the thought of cutting up a Camaro. Hopefully it was a reproduction body?

I don't know, I just had a hard time wrapping my head around it.

Attachments

#14 ·
From one end of the spectrum on customizing. An F-100 with flames rolled in the metal all over the truck...to the perfection of Richard Zocchi and John D'Agostino, two local MASTERS in custom car "building." I say "Building" because I don't believe they know how to turn a wrench. From what I know about them (use to see both their cars at shops when I was a paint rep) they have all the cars built and have for years. Both of these guys have had at least one new car every single "season" for as long as I can remember, we are talking 40 years!

Attachments

#15 ·
One "funny" thing that happened was we went into a building that we missed last time. This place where the event is held is HUGE made of of many, many buildings. It's where the California State Fair is held and there are places for livestock and what not, there is a race track and water park and so on, it's huge and it goes all over the place up ramps to second levels, one place has four buildings in a square with a different level on every one of them! It's crazy and when we left the last time we saw on the program the map and realized we had missed a whole building!

We made it in there this time and it was huge! Man did we miss a lot of cars last time.

Brian

Attachments

Reactions: 454 Rattler
#20 ·
Roseville Rod and Customs does some amazing work. I didn't make it but I saw pics of the room they had. They deserve that exposure. They have real fabricators there, not just putting a bunch of billet crap on a car and shining it up.

Anywho, it looks like the 55 Chevy I did a while back is still making its rounds. It got 1st place!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.