Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Safe heater position for painting?
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 09:48 AM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

[QUOTE=Henry Highrise]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Keller
I think you heater should be close to the ground.

Heat rises.

Your right Rob....heat rises....but fumes settle to the floor, thats why they recomend that any shop heater should be at least 18 inches above the floor. When I got out of the service I worked in a paint manufacturing facility. They had gas heaters like cboys mounted near the ceilings...the lights and light switches were explosion proof ( sealed air tight) . Any way those heaters ran while we were mixing solvents and resins making paint....never a problem. The way I do in my shop...I have infra red heaters....I warm things up good, turn off the heat , shoot the paint....wait awhile for the fumes to settle and then go back with the heat.

.................................................. .................................................. ....

If I ever get a shop.

The distance of my heater Give or take is ,91 to 94.5 million miles away!

I know but Its better to be a Smart Arse than a Dumb Arse!

My thoughts; Not being, a electrician is that Radiant Heat/ Infrared Heat would be the way to go .
Just be careful & aware of the switching devices .IE: Pilot lights & thermocouple switches.

Heating the objects in the area will also heat the air & create air flow circulation.

Any thing that MIGHT create a spark in a Volatile environment!

Even a Static spark .

Remember dust will explode given the right set of circumstances.

I wonder if sanding dust will burn if enuf piles up?

Henry 's way has to be the safest .

Rob

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums