Safest garage heating method - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2009, 11:07 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Safest garage heating method

Hello Guys -

I'm enjoying summer but know winter will be here soon enough. I'm tired of not wrenching throughout the winter so I'm going to install a heater in my detached garage.

I'm looking at a Reznor UDAS - which is a separated combustion unit (draws inlet air from outside the garage). The reason I'm looking at a separated combustion unit is this...

Last winter I tried to put the Buick in our attached garage. That lasted one night because the next morning, the garage smelled so badly of gasoline. The Buick has a fuel cell and apparently the vent combined with that garage being so well sealed up really lets fumes build up. Remember no charcoal canister like new cars. The same issue happens when I temporarily store 5 gal gasoline containers = gas fumes build up.

So is this really a venting/exhaust fan question since I will be insulating and sealing the "Buick's garage" up as well as possible. I want to avoid any dangerous situations.

P.S. From my research, the safest option is a "Sealed combustion" heater, but I cannot find any of these. Speaking with Reznor , they no longer make Sealed units because they were difficult for maintenance.

Thanks for the input,

Ray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2009, 09:11 AM
just passin' thru

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: Willys - Body and Paint
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Rayn,

Have you looked into a tube-type radiant heater? There are several manufacturers on the market. I have one in my shop and am very satisfied with it.
Here's the brand I used:

http://www.reverberray.com/products/ld.html

You didn't say what type of fuel you want to use. Mine is a propane model with a 100 gallon tank in back of the shop.

There are many threads on this site regarding shop heaters. Do a search and you'll find them.
Hope this helps,
Steve
Old 08-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Crazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayn
Hello Guys -

I'm enjoying summer but know winter will be here soon enough. I'm tired of not wrenching throughout the winter so I'm going to install a heater in my detached garage.

I'm looking at a Reznor UDAS - which is a separated combustion unit (draws inlet air from outside the garage). The reason I'm looking at a separated combustion unit is this...

Last winter I tried to put the Buick in our attached garage. That lasted one night because the next morning, the garage smelled so badly of gasoline. The Buick has a fuel cell and apparently the vent combined with that garage being so well sealed up really lets fumes build up. Remember no charcoal canister like new cars. The same issue happens when I temporarily store 5 gal gasoline containers = gas fumes build up.

So is this really a venting/exhaust fan question since I will be insulating and sealing the "Buick's garage" up as well as possible. I want to avoid any dangerous situations.

P.S. From my research, the safest option is a "Sealed combustion" heater, but I cannot find any of these. Speaking with Reznor , they no longer make Sealed units because they were difficult for maintenance.

Thanks for the input,

Ray

I have one of the outdoor woodburners, that heat water and then it goes through a radiator and I have a old furnace that the fan still works and have that blow air through it.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Check out a used mobile home heater. They're small, can be fit into a closet built outside the shop or in the attic, ducted into your shop from the installation point. No need to worry about a flash fire from the ignition. A lot of the newer homes are putting the units in the attic, saves on space and is easy to duct.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

As this is an extremely common topic, I've started a new wiki article on this subject: Garage heating. We already have a Building a new shop article, but we could use a separate article on the issue of heating.

Please help develop it. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:49 PM
At a loss for words

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bad406sbc
I have one of the outdoor woodburners, that heat water and then it goes through a radiator and I have a old furnace that the fan still works and have that blow air through it.
That would be my choice as well. Quite a difference in price though if he's comparing it to a Reznor. I'd look at it as an investment though. Heating your home, shop, domestic hot water, etc. it doesn't take long to recoup your initial investment though.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:33 PM

garage heating

I have a Resnor overhead heater that I have mounted on a dolly with a flexible supply line. I have very large garage and I did not want to preheat the garage or even heat the entire garage. Obviously, the question of venting was considered.

Initially, I started by preheating the entire area and I intended to then let in fresh air and resort to localized electric heating. Preheating raises the temperature of the walls, equipment, cars so that a lower number of BTUs would be required. I installed a CO2 meter for obvious reasons but I found that it wasn't sounding any alarm ever. So I investigated.

I talked with the local building department's heating people and they said that if the combustion is good there will be no CO2.

So I bought a second CO2 meter to check the first and have been using an non-vented Resnor for years.

I also have a partial basement under a 16x30 foot stall. by placing the Resnor in this basement, I can heat the ceiling, which is the concrete floor of the stall and I have radiant heat which is quite comfortable and which is a heat sink or bank that maintains a remarkable comfort level.

Another thing you might consider is putting two inches of new concrete on your existing floor and lay down electric heating pads before the pour for a comfortable heating arrangement especially if you have no lift in your garage.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.