safety glasses - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008, 02:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

safety glasses

Are there any safety glasses that could wear over glasses? such as this
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100055255

I think the suck,did not like them, to cheap, any better than this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008, 03:09 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

i believe you can get your perscription lenses made with safety glass. you can always put side shields on a regular pair of glasses too. I agree I don't care for that style either, I think the ones I wear now are made by nemisis and I got them at a welding supply shop.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:28 PM

Last photo:

I have been wearing prescription safety glasses for years, they have slip on side shields when needed. Actually regular glasses have to meet strict standards that meet or even exceed what you would find in most safety lens so I think it is more a frame design than anything else. An example would be small lens in wire frames which might meet the impact ratings of safety lens but would be unacceptable because of lack of coverage. My point is that some regular prescription glasses may be OK with just the addition of side shields. Whether you use regular glasses or prescription glasses be sure and have them made with polycarbonate lens because grinding and welding while wearing glass lens will destroy them in short order due to spatter sticking to them. I have never had much luck with the slip-over safety glasses but then maybe I just never tried the right ones.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Auto Parts Professional

Last photo:

back when I wore glasses I had a VERY bad experience. We were strapping a load down on the truck and my buddy was pulling on a bungy strap trying to clip it onto the tie down point.....when it sliped out of his hand and hit me square in the face.

The hook hit the lens of my glasses pushing it out of the frame and into my eye. Didnt break tho! I thank god I had my glasses on that day, other wise I may have been less one eye...
Old 07-10-2008, 04:45 PM

Last photo:

Bungee cords! I hate those damn things and there have been so many serious injuries from them I can't believe they have not been outlawed! When I ran my shop one of the guys discovered they were great for lashing down things in the tool boxes when we had to travel rough mining roads but within 6 months we had so many injuries from them breaking/slipping that I stopped their use and no longer allowed them in the shop. About the same time my wife was injured by one while trying to strap down some furniture in a truck bed. Your story is a common one but unfortunately not everyone is as lucky as you were and too many people have suffered severe eye injuries from them.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:36 PM

Last photo:

Safety glasses

Try a search for UVEX. They've got safety glasses that will fit comfortably over your prescription glasses, and they are available in clear or two different tints. Been using them for a number of years now, and they are excellent. Should be available from any safety supply company.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Last photo:

Lots of refining/chemical businesses have outlawed the use of slip-on side shields. Those safety glasses may look cheap, but they meet all the required OSHA and ANSI standards.

Vince
Old 07-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

AOS also has the type that wears over your glasses among other companies that are now producing these type...always remeber..no matter WHAT type of safety glasses you use make SURE it is OSHA Z87 standard.
ALOT of the "cheepo's" are not really safe as they claim.

Here is a pair i have in my work bag i take to work with me..the AOS pair,,these are all scratched up from flopping around in my bag...lol..i rarely use this type,im in the habit of having a pair of reading glasses hangin around my neck and use them when needed in front of my regular safety glasses
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	safetyGlasses.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	31078  
Old 07-11-2008, 08:19 AM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

I wear glasses too - PIA!

I'm nearsighted (can't see well far away) so closeup work isn't too bad (although the older I get the more I think I'll need reading specs )

I've had my eyes scraped more than once at the doctors after wearing safety glasses.

Right now IF I feel I need my glasses for work in the shop - I use a full face shield as glasses still allow flying/falling debris to get to the eyeball...
Old 07-12-2008, 08:27 PM

We used Oakleys w/ Prescription lenses in Iraq. You just got to sent Oakley your prescription and you can buy their lenses.

Before I had PRK Eye Surgery, I used ESS Glasses, Oakley Eye Pro, and also Native Eye Pro.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:09 PM

Last photo:

I have some Safety Glasses from Snap On, they are the best, they were 3 bucks(discount), regular price is like 7 or 8
Old 02-14-2009, 10:11 PM

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Wiki Edits: 3

I have a few pairs like this: http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...0bd8c9_300.jpg

The side skirts are soft, so they don't really press on the arms of my glasses much. If you have trouble with that, you could make slits for the arms of your glasses, I guess (like ski goggles have)

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.