safety glasses and slag - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2008, 08:48 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

What I would like to add to this is:
First

I have been under the microscope for rust removal 3 or 4 times {sorry CRS} each time I was wearing safety glasses & felt/seen the rust hit my cheek bounce off the inside of the glasses & right into me eye.

Second :

I been flash~burned twice each time while working with a tough guy who would not synchronize with me . I was holding the piece & he was welding no warning ZAP! .

Third:

Boush & Lomb makes a real nice lubricating eye solution .

Forth :

Most of the time when I get Chit in me eyes is while taking a shower I have to remember when I wash after grinding, lather rinse & repeat on my face throughly before opening my eyes .

The soap will lift & suspend then float away most of the debris

Fifth:
I go thru so much eye wash I stretch it out with distilled water

I hope this helps someone.

The best cure is to not get injured.

Eye injuries are as bad as going to the Dentist.

R

Advertisement

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2008, 07:43 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Rob, I find them worse. I wear glasses and I only plan on going to the eye doctor once every ten years. Worked for the last ten. Heck, the WI DMV even dropped my corrective lenses restriction for the next 8 years. I kinda like that. I still drive in town with them, but on the open interstate, well, it's "Look ma, no glasses!!"

In a while, Chet.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:38 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitz
Heck, the WI DMV even dropped my corrective lenses restriction for the next 8 years.
HOWEVER, the Wisconsin Tractor Pullers Assn. knows better...they still make Schnitz wear his glasses...to keep him (and his tractor) out of the grandstands.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:27 AM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Dewey, two thumbs way up! Make that 4 thumbs. I thought my wife would fall off the couch!

In a while, Chet.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:36 AM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Wiki'd this thread, along with some others, and several other relevant resources.

Here's the new "Eye Protection" section of our Health and Safety in the Shop or Garage wiki article: http://crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/...Eye_protection

Feel free to add, edit, adjust, or correct the article. Just click the "edit" tab at the top of the page -- you don't even have to be logged in.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:17 AM

Last photo:

Jon, I think I see a minor error but did not edit the section on using potatoes, potato juice, etc because I was not sure it really was in error. However I think the milk is the potentially deadly old myth used for metal fumes poisoning from welding on galvanized metal, this is about as common as the potato trick but in this case it is far more serious. I have never heard of using milk for flash burn however it very well may be used by some and after some of the things that have been mentioned here I would believe just about anything! There have been serious illnesses and fatalities resulting from drinking milk for metal fumes poisoning instead of seeing a doctor but an even more serious variation of this myth exists, it is more serious because it can be the reason the poisoning happens in the first place! Not only do some have the very mistaken idea that milk will cure metal poisoning they actually believe it will prevent it and think that drinking milk just prior to welding/cutting galvanized metal will keep them from getting sick in the first place. A good example is about 25 years ago at a mine where we were doing some construction work a salvage crew came in to cut up some large, and heavily galvanized, scrap tanks and drainage pipes. There was twelve of these guys including the "supervisor" who came in there armed with torches, goggles and coolers filled with MILK! There was not a respirator in sight! To the last one of these guys they thought, and even insisted, that all they needed to do was to drink the milk as they worked and everything would be OK! It is hard to believe something like this could be so widely believed but it is every bit as common as the potato trick for the eyes but far more serious. This has been covered before but I wanted to bring it up again because it is not uncommon to have to deal with galvanized parts when welding/cutting on cars and this is one myth that can be deadly!

BTW, the mine manager sent those guys packing before they even started working on that scrap!
Old 03-29-2008, 10:56 AM
My compass doesn't point North

Last photo:

Neanderthal Tool Company introduces it's latest;

Shop Slop Suck System.

It really does help keep much of the grinding grit and slag from going everywhere. OK, so some of it still does go everywhere. I've taken about a pound and a half out of each of my front calipers

The blower is a Stanley. Stanley, a fine traditional Chinese name. I got it at Ace Hardware for $52.99 (no charge for shipping) and it's listed in the latest Northern Tool catalog for $59.99 plus shipping... their discounted price.... uh-huh. That catalog went in the trash. No Paris, the Shop Slop Suck System didn't have enough suck to pick up the Northern catalog... the catalog sucked more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	to post at HR.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	28881  
Old 12-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Wanabe Mechanic

Last journal entry: 55 chevy 2nd series truck
Last photo:

This thread makes my eyes itch.But I have learned to wear safety glasses at all times when working with metal or overhead.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:43 PM

Last photo:

Welding Helmet Corrective Lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyroushkolb
I've found a great pair of safety glasses with bi-focals in them, both bottoms and tops where car guys need to see without getting neck spasms. Only problems they have is a bad reflection when using them under a welding hood. For welding I have an over size pair of cheap reading glasses.
I won't go into the details about my three separate eye doc visits over the last six months due to getting metal sparks in the same eye while wearing osha approved bi-focal safety glasses, but I can tell all of you not to rely on glasses alone. I now use a full face sheild with my glasses underneath.

As for the welding helmet glasses issue, I thought that I would share my recent discovery for those of you that may not be aware. Many of the helmet manufacturers make corrective and magnifying lenses that snap into the inside of the helmet so you will not need glasses when you weld. I have been using one now for about a month and all I can say is

Steve
Old 03-06-2010, 11:51 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

i have used a strong magnet before to remove metal from my eye. If your safety glasses have large enough marks to see that they have been hit with something hard enough to mark them you really should replace them. I love my auto hood for chipping slag. If you have to chip it your doing something wrong anyways right....hehe. You should just beable to wipe the slag right off.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:45 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85
If you have to chip it your doing something wrong anyways right....hehe. You should just beable to wipe the slag right off.
What kind of welding are you talking about? One of the many jobs I had as a kid was to chip the slag, when my Old Man stick welded.

It would leave a glassy, hard deposit from the flux that actually had to be there (or so I thought) to protect the molten puddle from being exposed to O2.

You damn sure aren't gonna wipe THAT off. If you're talking about a TIG or similar, maybe so.

I still own and use the same Lincoln welder- a no-frills AC-225. Zero failures. Early on, the leads and clamps were replaced w/HD, all else OEM.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:29 AM

Last photo:

DC welding, I don't know if you would be able to do it with an AC welder. At work we use these http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...xmt_304_cc_cv/ I know these are not a welder that you would buy just to have in your shop but they are very very nice welders. We run the esab 7018 electrode http://products.esabna.com/EN/home/f..._arc_7018_7018 when running a flat with this welder and electrode the slag will roll up as you are welding and after you are done you can brush the slag of with a wire brush. When running a vertical pass you can just brush your chipping hammer down the weld and it will fall right off. If you are using an AC buzz box you probably won't be able to do it because the current isn't steady enough to perform like this.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:41 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85
... You should just be able to wipe the slag right off...
I get slag beads in the area around my MIG welds...I guess it would be more accurate to call it splatter rather than beads If I don't use silicon spray, these beads stick like the devil and I have to grind them off...which can be a real pain if the area has already been finished off fairly nicely. Any recommendations for improving my welding technique to eliminate that sticking slag/splatter?
Old 03-07-2010, 11:52 AM

Last photo:

I am reffering to arc welding in my earlier post but I do more mig welding at work than arc welding so here is my advice. Slow your wire speed down a bit, you may also be running a little hot. What kind of gas are you running? If it is just a few bb's or seeds or cherries, whatever you want to call them there is probably not much you can do about it. But if it is excessive then you are probably running your wire speed a little fast.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:59 AM

hi,
Thaks for the suggestion above, you see welding is not a easy task,It is a kind of ART and needs real experience to make a perfect weld

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.