Safety ~ in memory of Uncle Mike - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2005, 03:18 PM

Last journal entry: Long Time away
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Safety ~ in memory of Uncle Mike

A good friend of mine, and uncle if you will, passed away this week. He was my friends uncle but he was the kind of man you could call uncle and he would adopt you into his family just like that. He was working on his truck, and boy did he love his trucks, semi's and 1 tons mostly. He set an auxilery gas tank on top of the battery while we was tinkering around. From what we can make of the damage the tank and the battery somehow drew a current and the tank blew up. were not sure how, but it happened. He suffered 3rd degree burns on his upper body. He lived 3 weeks in and out of surgery until hes kidney failed and he died of an infection.
IM telling you this with this detail to stress how important safety is. the gas was in a plastic tank, the type you'd fill your lawnmower with. NO one would ever have seen it as that dangerour but it happened. I hope the rest of you take this advise and be safe. Mike new people all over the US at his visitation there were people that flew in from cali and tennesse. We live in iowa. Seeing someone that loved to die doing what he loved, due to a little mistake, is more than what i would want any of you going through. Learn from others mistakes and maybe it'll save your life.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2005, 03:38 PM

Last photo:

Man, really sorry to hear of your loss. Good tip. I could see folks on here fiddling with a carb and using a container to prime the carb and maybe set it on the battery. Might not have anything to do with setting it on the battery. I would have never thought it was risky being in a plastic container. No telling what actually caused a spark. Did the battery blow up too by chance?

I'll file this in my head as "I may not understand it, but I'll play it safe anyway."
Old 11-03-2005, 03:53 PM

Last photo:

Sorry to hear about your loss. I just recently started a job doing bodywork at a place that does all big trucks, semis, trailers, ect. Probably was just nothing you would think about, and wouldn't imagine would happen. Everybody does unsafe things now and then.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:03 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

Sorry for your loss Grem.
Makes you really think of safety. Hg
Old 11-03-2005, 06:26 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Condolences. It's tough to take at any time. Hope his family can quickly take comfort in cherishing the time that they had him.

Maybe you just saved someone else, though, by your post.

Could there have been a line of rust around the tank that acted like a short on the battery? Something like where a strap held the tank on?
Old 11-03-2005, 07:58 PM

Last journal entry: Long Time away
Last photo:

We're not sure what happened. he lives in town but has a farm that holds his trucks. nearly 30 in all from early 30-late 80s trucks. The house was rented out to a family and lucky for him their oldest daughter was there at the time. after being burned he walked nearly 50 yards to the house and called 911. then collapsed as the daughter took the phone.

The truck is completely burned. the battery has the most damage. the battery is completely melted. it no longer even resembles a battery. From the way things are set up with the truck the tank seems most likely to be sitting on the battery. all damage seems to be centered around the battery. how or why things worked out the way it did no one is sure. But we do know the battery is destroyed and that there no longer exists the gas tank. maybe a little gas spilled, maybe something arced we dont know. Were not sure what happened due to:
1. not being there,
2. him being drugged/ medical coma for nearly the entire 3 weeks as surgery took place,
3. what time there was to talk with him, was used to tell him how much we loved him and how we were all praying for him.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

Sorry for your loss man.
Guilty of doing careless things myself.How many times I have looked back and thought about how dangerous something was I just did.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:17 PM

Last journal entry: A few more
Last photo:

Really sorry to hear of your loss. Safety has to be #1 no matter what. I damm near got it today at work myself. The stupidist thing I've done since I married my 2nd wife. Was testing the drive circuts on a skyjack. Had the joystick tied forward with the ignition on so the relays where energized. To make this short I got distracted with some customers for about an hour. changed the oil and went to start it to recheck the oil level. Forgot it was tied in forward. It started right away lunged forward and pinned my foot at the same time I'm trying to get at the stop button but couldn't reach it so I slamed the door that protects the rad and lower controls as hard as I could, it closed so hard it pushed the stop switch in. I've done this a hundred times but this time my mind wasn't where it should have been. PLZ anyone who reads this take the time and do a walk around before you go back to the area you where working on. This scared the crap out of me cause if I would have missed grabbing that door I would not be typing this tonite. I thank you for the info on that gas can. My buddy did the same thing not more than 4 days ago. I wonder if the engine was being started and the posts had a bad connection and melted the bottom of the gas can. Anyhow thanks again and are thoughts go out to you and his family.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:38 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCastle
Sorry for your loss man.
Guilty of doing careless things myself.How many times I have looked back and thought about how dangerous something was I just did.
ditto.

today: did a tranny filter job on my car. it's 'sealed for life' so it has nop dipstick but has a fill-plug. I dropped pan and filter, installed new filter and reinstalled pan, removed the overfill drain plug and set the car down level. I used jackstands and was safe.

I filled the trans with tranny fluid and once it was coming out of the little hole I jacked it up and didnt use jackstands to reinstall the drain plug. It took less than a minute but I have personally seen a car fall on a guy. Not pretty.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:59 PM

Last photo:

Via Con Dios Uncle Mike

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.