Sag in last coat of pearl - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2005, 12:16 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sag in last coat of pearl

Hey Bee4me, I sent you a pm regarding this, and called you Vince by mistake...sorry.. lots of names to remember, anyway I stumbled when making my last pass of pearl on this car an shot a real heavy spot that sagged on the drivers quarter. I am using HOK SG-100 intercoat to apply the pearl. I also added a little retarder for humidity reasons, and to let the last coat flow out real nice. It has been an hour now at post of this thread. In an hour or so can I lightly sand that area with maybe 1000# and just throw on some dust coats and then clear the whole thing? I am trying not to have any variations in the pearl. There is only a 12 hour window on the topcaoating the sg-100, and I don't want to apply any more "color" to the car. Do you all think this will work fine?

BK

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2005, 12:46 PM

Last photo:

not sure how big the run is, but I have had the same thing happen to me once on a pearl job and I did as you have suggested and everything worked well.
I was extremly carefull when sanding the run, as I only removed material from the run itself then feathered as light as possiable around it.
Then I put a couple very light coats of pearl over it and blended a couple feet away into the rest of the panel.
worked for me, but I just a part timer so maybe someone else has a better way.
once you clear it well be much harder to blend so I would try and see before time runs out.

good luck Dave
Old 05-12-2005, 01:27 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last photo:

Since we are both on the same page, that is what I have done. It sanded out fine, and looked good other than there was a color difference, but when I dusted on the base you could see where the sag had been again. I am going to try and sand it again in a half hour to 1 hour. I dont want to clear this thing in the dark. Maybe I should sand a little more this time?? I tried to sand as lightly as I could, when I could not see it anymore I stopped.

BK
Old 05-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Yes I got it Fred. Just teasing you Matt.
Hey NO big deal,People call me ALOT worse someday's.
Sag's are a MAJOR PIA to get rid of and it MAY take some razor blade scraping and sanding to get rid of it. It and the area around it will HAVE to be flat or it will come back on ya.
I sagged the hood scoop on the 69 I did right at the hood/scoop line on the back CORNER. UGGGHHHH!!!! The hose got hung up right as I was coming off the cowel and up the scoop back and I "thought" I lucked out till I came back in for the second coat and a small puddle had formed.
I don't know what your color scheme is or how heavy a pearl mix your using.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:55 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last photo:

Pia

A puddle... that is terrible, worse than what i had. I used the whitest white you could get... pure white base with drying agents only added PPG Omni, next was PPG pearl prisim blue, put on with HOK SG-100 intercoat, smoothered in two freakin heavy layers of bugs,solvent pops and bug guts ( I squashed a few trying to get them out).. or someone else may say Sikkens Auotclear. The sag was forgiving, I am hoping the solvent pops will be too.

I may have to start laying on a light first coat after tonight.

BK
Old 05-13-2005, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondoKing
Since we are both on the same page, that is what I have done. It sanded out fine, and looked good other than there was a color difference, but when I dusted on the base you could see where the sag had been again. I am going to try and sand it again in a half hour to 1 hour. I dont want to clear this thing in the dark. Maybe I should sand a little more this time?? I tried to sand as lightly as I could, when I could not see it anymore I stopped.

BK

Next time (hopefully never!) this happens and you need to sand something, try using the sg100 (with no pearl or additves) as a "sealer" coat to see what might happen. If the sag spot shows up you can sand the sg100 with out interfering with the pearl.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:33 PM
Have Gun, Will Paint

and remember for next time.......when using intercoat clear, you don't want to "flow" it.......just make medium passes with it.

The only thing that you should "flow" is the topcoat clear.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.