Saginaw 4 speed with OD conversion. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Saginaw 4 speed with OD conversion.

Anybody out there running a Saginaw 4 speed with the OD from the 3 speed? I'm looking at manual trans options for my Stude. It currently has a B-W T-86/OD that works well but I'd like at the very least a synchronized 1st gear and another gear in between would be nice. Plus the column shift is all hosed up and there are no floor shifts available for the T-86. Given the scarcity of the Saginaw OD's is it really worth hunting one down and how much should I be ready to pay? Theres an OD unit by itself on Ebay for $375 BIN but it is not complete, there are couple pieces missing. Seems like an AWFUL lot of money to me especially with parts missing, I'd expect to pay that much for a good complete trans. The actual work is not an issue, my friend owns a transmission shop and will gladly help me.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I would go on car-part.com if I knew what years and cars had the Saginaw OD installed..and then take the parts you have and make it up..I have no clue as to how much you may have to pay but before you put up your money check on a Richmond 5 speed as at the end of the day that may be a better solution for you...I always check on the price of the new good part before I get too far into trying to cobble something up..I have spent some good money trying to make something work when I would have been better off getting the good one in the first place..

Just my take
Sam
Old 06-03-2008, 03:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
I would go on car-part.com if I knew what years and cars had the Saginaw OD installed..and then take the parts you have and make it up..I have no clue as to how much you may have to pay but before you put up your money check on a Richmond 5 speed as at the end of the day that may be a better solution for you...I always check on the price of the new good part before I get too far into trying to cobble something up..I have spent some good money trying to make something work when I would have been better off getting the good one in the first place..

Just my take
Sam
And a reasnobale take it is but I kind of want to keep the old style electric OD, the car currently has the old T-86/OD with the factory OD handle under the dash and it adds a lot to the cool factor of the car. Problem is it was pretty much a '66-'69 Chevy only set up. Getting pretty scarce.

I should probably forget all that and just get a top mounted shifter off an old Jeep or truck T-86 or T-90, reconfigure the stick, have it chrome plated and mount it on my current OD setup. That would definitely be period correct for the car and it would be a LOT easier and cheaper too. Like the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Old 06-03-2008, 03:41 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

AMC Ramblers in the 60's used Electric B/W overdrive units also..
Old 06-03-2008, 10:31 PM

Hi, Hippie, you do get around.

Hi, Hippie, you do get around with this project. The Saginaw 4-speed with the overdrive from the 3-speed is a bolt-up. The 4-speed part of the Saginaw is easy to come by, but as you discovered, the overdrives are scarce. Unlike Studebaker, GM never pushed the 3-speed overdrive. The other bad news is the input shaft length and bell housing bolt pattern aren't compatible with most Studebaker V8 bellhousings. You would need the very rare and expensive '61 Hawk T10 bell housing, plus a custom pilot bearing, throwout bearing and clutch disc.

BTW, there are dozens of floor shift conversions for the T86. I've got one I used for years. Hurst, B&M, Mr. Gasket, Speed-o-Motive, Sparkomatic, Ansen, and several others offered them. Can't remember the last time I went to a swap meet without stumbling over a couple of used ones. Guarantee a floor shift conversion would be the least of your worries.

thnx, jack vines
Old 06-04-2008, 07:50 AM

Last photo:

Hey Jack, yeah, I'm an "information junkie" of the highest order.

The more I look the sweeter my old T-86 is looking! It works good, just leaks a "bit". Looking more and more like I'll just have my buddy freshen it up over the Winter. I can get a reproduction T-90 top mount shifter for $116.95 from some of the Jeep vendors, it requires a minor mod to the OD lockout and probably a mod to the stick but from what I have found it works very nicely and has a shorter throw than the aftermarket shifters and is sturdier. Plus the OD gets in the way of the mounting hardware of most of them. While not keeping the car stock I do plan to keep it somewhat period correct and what could be more correct than a 50's Hot Rodder trick like that?

Hey what's up with the SDC board? It takes forever just to open and then even longer to open a post.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:10 AM
"Don't need no V/8"-grandpaw

od in vega

knew a guy that had this setup in a vega-turbo v/6 buick. He got busted at 125+ over the bridge between or and wash. worked good!!!!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.