Saginaw 4 speed Questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2008, 01:39 PM

Last journal entry: more work
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Saginaw 4 speed Questions

I have a 4 speed sag that I bought from a friend at work for my 73 Firebird project. Few things I need a little help on.

1. It has 2 electrical hook plugs. one is by the reverse shift point with 2 prongs. reverse lights (thanks holder350). Other is 1 prong right under the first/second gear shift point. no clue what this one is.

2. It shifts into all gears great. Shifts out of every gear but first great. First gear seems a little tight coming out, not real bad just enough to make me think about it. Should I be worried about this ? Should I take side cover off and investigate further ?

3. I recieved an aluminium bell housing also. How do I tell what size clutch/pressure plate will fit ? 12" big hole truck.. did some research after I found the #. Gm 460486

4. The bosses for the shifter mount are not drilled. Can I safely drill and tap these?

Sure ill have a couple more but any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Last edited by troyhoot; 06-07-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Auto Parts Professional

Last photo:

one will be the reverse lights...that should be the 2 prong one.

Have no clue what the other is
Old 06-07-2008, 03:50 PM

Last photo:

GM used various trans switches to controll vac advance to the distrib. For emissions use. Most limited vac advance in third and high gear. This may be a variant of that.

These trans were designed for 4-6 cylinder cars so the belhousing, if correct, would be for 10" or less.

A very weak trans with terrible gear spreads. Used to watch street tired, 4 cyl Vega/Monza cars, scatter them at the strip.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:05 PM

Last journal entry: more work
Last photo:

well my 1970 firebird I had came with one from the factory behind a v8. So they all werent used behind little motors. This is a 2 ring saginaw so it has 3.11 2.20 1.47 1.00. But yes I understand saginaws are weaker then muncies.

Bellhousing was on a 400 chevy in a truck we believe. Its actually fairly big. I have 14.5" clearence at the mounting face.

EDIT Found out it is a 12" big hole truck bellhousing.

Last edited by troyhoot; 06-07-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:10 PM

Saginaw 4 speeds

Plenty strong for a street car without getting nuts about doing burnouts and powershifts. Had one in my 1972 Nova SS 350 L-48 engine, Saginaw 4 speed, 3.42 rear gears. Bought car new and wish I still had it. Hurst used to make an adapter/mount to use when the tailhousing bosses were'nt drilled/tapped. Watch E-Bay for the mount.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:19 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

I don't think they are that weak

I built a full fendered steel mopar roadster w/ mild 327, 3.23 8-3/4 POSI rear, BIG rear radials....and a saginaw

I grabbed the trans in the mock up part of the build as I needed it NOW. I found a NOS hurst shifter for $30 so it was all set there, and the trans itself was a 10k mile Monza unit for $100.

Most of the reason to try it was all the used muncies and borg t-10s I could find, were hammered to death. I figured a new saginaw beats a junk "good name"

No problem with powershifts either

I used to side step the clutch at frequent intervals and it always survived and shifted good. It had leafs with "traction links" and it hooked real good, so I pretty much gave it plenty of real world tests.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:20 PM

Last photo:

My '72 Nova SS came with a 2.54 Sag, but it now has a 3.11 from a '74 Vega. It should stay together if you don't abuse it too hard. Mine still has a stock 10.4" clutch & street tires, so I can't shock it too much, no matter what. I haven't done a serious dead-stop launch since it was fairly new, but I do shift it hard fairly regularly, never side-stepping the clutch, just letting it up as fast as my fat old body can.

The only switch on mine was the TCS (transmission-controlled-spark) switch on the 3-4 shifter shaft boss. That system got bypassed on day one.

You might not be able to use the Sag with that bellhousing. The hole might be too big for the front bearing retainer on the trans. The fit has to be right, or the input shaft won't be concentric with the crankshaft. Measure the retainer and the hole to be sure.

Last edited by jimfulco; 06-09-2008 at 11:28 PM.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.