Saginaw 4speed overdrive conversion (pics included) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2003, 10:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Saginaw 4speed overdrive conversion (pics included)

Well after waiting 3 weeks to start and finish this mod to my tranny it is finally done. Here are some pics of what happen. Right now I only have the before and mid way pics ready for posting but Wed. I hope to post my complete thing on here. And must say its really nice to go from 3000rpm to 2000rpm at 65 mph. All for 400 dollars (cost of saginaw 3 speed with overdrive) instead of 2 grand which gear vendors cost. But it 1am here and I still have a two drive before my phone interview with lockheed so I will cut this one short.
Sorry I forgot to get pictures of it fully together so I will take some tomorrow.

Good night hope you enjoy this pictures.

P.S. The guides on the net may say this is a easy slide on/off job well its not. I'll explain all this Wed.

pics moved to website

Well freaking A. For some reason the pictures don't show up when I test the post but they may for you. If not I will try to find a place to upload them.

[ May 27, 2003: Message edited by: Shefron ]

[ May 27, 2003: Message edited by: Shefron ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2003, 01:27 AM

Last photo:

They don't work for me either. Where did you get the info for OD'ing the Saginaw 4speed??? I saw it in a car magazine back in the 70's, but I lost it years ago.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:02 PM

Well since geocities doesn't allow you to link files so I just made a basic site for it.

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/shefron/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/shefron/index.html</a>
AS I post this I'm finishing the site with a hell of lot more pics.[
Old 05-27-2003, 06:04 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

I have the article from a 1974 Hot Rod magazine scanned to a PDF file. I've wanted to to do that swap for years but could never find the OD. How long did you have to look for one ?
Old 05-27-2003, 06:04 PM

Last photo:

I have the article from a 1974 Hot Rod magazine scanned to a PDF file. I've wanted to to do that swap for years but could never find the OD. How long did you have to look for one ?
Old 05-27-2003, 08:23 PM

Well its kinda weird how I found the OD. I had bought from a guy what I/he thought was a saginaw OD but turned out to be a Borg Warner one. So I got my money back from that but while he was in Minnesota visiting his daughter he was kind enough to ask some of the junkyards there and he was given a phone number to a guy who some how had one. The OD cost me 375 for the complete tranny. I must say this was the nicest guy I have ever met since he was nice enough to find the tranny for me. I don't even care if he had told me a lie about how much it cost. Plus I gave him 50 dollars for the troubles. And I used to get 10mpg on highway and now its 18. Tomorrow I will post the rest of the pictures on the website.

[ May 27, 2003: Message edited by: Shefron ]</p>
Old 09-07-2003, 01:10 AM
machinest & A&P Mechanic

Last journal entry: distributer housing...
Last photo:

whaaa!!!!

you got pictures!!! i am currently in the procces of doing the convershion but i have not found the hotrod magazine with that in it yet, the pictures would be a huge help when you get them posted! oh boy i am soo excited!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie
Do you know what month of 74 it was in? I am hunting for that article.Can you help me? Gary
Old 09-08-2005, 08:29 AM
machinest & A&P Mechanic

Last photo:

backintime3334, I found the article but its at home, I will try to dig it up tonight..... BTW the article is floating around the internet to, I printed of a copy but I didn't know that it was the same article so I then went to the library and had them look for the article for me, it turns out it was the same article. BTW where in WI do ya live? I am not to far from Madison.

-Leo-

I almost forgot to add the link...
http://www.chevytrucks.org/tech/overdrive.htm

this is basically the same article, only retyped. if you need more info on these trannys I have some....
Old 09-08-2005, 10:23 AM

Last photo:

If you'd still like the copy of the Hot Rod article I can e-mail it to you. Might take awhile to download though if you have dial up. It's not that long, but mine includes the illustrations so the PDF file is kind of large.

OK not as big as I remembered, only 803KB.

Last edited by Hippie; 09-08-2005 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:09 PM

Last photo:

Hot Rod article...

Hippie -

May I have a copy? You can email it to fleetline@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

Tom
Old 09-08-2005, 04:58 PM

More Info would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School Nut
backintime3334, I found the article but its at home, I will try to dig it up tonight..... BTW the article is floating around the internet to, I printed of a copy but I didn't know that it was the same article so I then went to the library and had them look for the article for me, it turns out it was the same article. BTW where in WI do ya live? I am not to far from Madison.

-Leo-

I almost forgot to add the link...
http://www.chevytrucks.org/tech/overdrive.htm

this is basically the same article, only retyped. if you need more info on these trannys I have some....
Leo: Im in Waukesha The article that was in Hot Rod had Photos of the internals and details on the conversion. I would like to get a copy of it If I knew what isue it was in. Any other help on this conversion would be appreciated. Also looking for a overdrive trans to use for the conversion. Thanks Gary
Old 09-08-2005, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backintime3334
Leo: Im in Waukesha The article that was in Hot Rod had Photos of the internals and details on the conversion. I would like to get a copy of it If I knew what isue it was in. Any other help on this conversion would be appreciated. Also looking for a overdrive trans to use for the conversion. Thanks Gary
Im a new member and I dont know my way arount this site yet
Old 09-08-2005, 06:43 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleet49
Hippie -

May I have a copy? You can email it to fleetline@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

Tom
Tom, You have mail.

Glenn aka "Hippie"

Gary? Want a digital copy? It's a pretty decent scan, fairly high resolution.............. I'd be happy to send it to you.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:09 AM
machinest & A&P Mechanic

Last photo:

well I looked last night. the article I have starts on page.30 of Hot rod's April 1975 issue. if their is another article done in 1974 I would sure like to see it!

Waukesha, well your not to far from me then, I go to a swap meet up their... BTW if you are still looking for the trans, good luck, they are getting very hard to find. Their is one guy tho I see at the Jefferson swap that has one but he wants a lot for it, but it already has the conversion done....

-Leo-

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.