Saginaw Steering box - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2008, 10:22 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Saginaw Steering box

I'm running a Saginaw Steering box in my 56 truck. I have a large amount of play in the steering before the wheels begin to turn. Is there a way of adjusting these boxes to reduce play, or should I replace the whole box? No power steering either.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2008, 10:16 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Lots of play is not good for the chance that adjustment will help.

There is a lock nut with a center slotted screw to adjust, but first:

Have someone rock the steering wheel from side to side throughout the area of freeplay(no need to go from lock to lock). Then watch the output shaft to see if the shaft is moving from side to side, rather than turning, like the bushing is sloppy. If the shaft is sloppy, a new bushing will not likely make it perfect because the shaft will have wear also.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

I also check those boxes for end play at the input shaft and sector shaft..If you can push up and down on the pitman arm and see that there is up and down motion, the sector shaft needs adjustment. In and out play at the input shaft on a manual box can be adjusted at the threaded bearing housing and locknut on the end of the case.

There is an adjustment procedure, do not just tighten everything up, as it will do more harm than good.

Here is the basic procedure, I copied it from an earlier thread.

The basic procedure for later boxes, (525's, vegas, etc), involves dropping the pitman arm, loosining the adjuster screw at the top of the sector shaft, tightining the bearing housing/nut until the steering input shaft has all the play taken out, and there is a 2 to 4 inch pound drag on the bearings.
Then re tighten the sector shaft (pitman arm shaft), adjuster until there is an additional 2-4 inch pound drag on the box as a whole. You will have some problem making that procedure to work as your box has (presumably) alot of wear. and it is very hard to find an in-lbs torque meter with a 0-30inch pounds range.

In your case, I would try to just snug up the input shaft until just before it starts to get clunky, then adjusting the sector shaft intil you get the play out. Do this sector adjustment with the box centered only, you can't do anything about the looseness off center beyond what you will get from the adjustment at center position. It is because of the way the gears are ground with a "hard spot" at center.

You can do all of this in the car if you have access to the screws etc ,but it is much easier to do it on the bench, once you know what you have to do. If it feels good on the bench, chances are, it will feel good in the car.

You won't get all the play out, because as F&J already said, the bushings are probably worn, also the balls and ball channels are worn as well.

Check your rod ends and kingpins as well.

hope this helps, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 10-10-2008, 03:43 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Mikey, I'm gonna mess with it this weekend. At this point, I think any adjustment to the steering will help. Tie rods and king pins are new. I replaced all that when I installed a drop axle.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.