Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saginaw trans gears

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  mikey44 
#1 ·
I have a Saginaw 4 speed trans in a 1968 Camaro with a 308 posi rear end. The first gear is really low and unless you are completely stopped you don't need it I litterly can start off in second. The problem I have is that when I am in 4th gear and running 55 it is really turning a lot of RPM's, about 4000. I looked around on the net trying to find out what gears I may have but really didn't find anything. I bought the trans on EBAY a couple of years ago and it was supposedly rebuilt but I am not sure by who. The trans case is painted a bright blue?? I first thought my rear end had a low gear but took the cover off and it is a 308. Does anyone have any suggestions or can you tell me a way to tell by looking at the gears in the trans what ratio's I have? Thanks:welcome:

#4 ·
Saginaw dope from memory

How do I calculate to tell? I can count the teeth but do not know the formula to swee what I have. Also i have seen some stuff about rings on the input shaft. Does that mean anything? Thanks:welcome:
There are 3 Saginaw 4speeds that i recall wide to close ratio, the wide starting with the 3.50 first gear (you've probably got this one) then the 3.10 and finally the 2.85. they are all the same in 4th final 1:1 direct, if your buzzed out in 4th you got some thin other than a 3.08 probably a 3.73....divide the number of teeth on your pinion in to the number on your crown, thats your FD ratio

Personally i like the wider ratio tranys, you can run taller gears out back and still have a descent lunch....lanch

#5 ·
I got the following info regarding the grooves on the input splines from the Nasty Z28 site I think?
Saginaw 4 speed:1st gear, 2nd gear, 3rd gear, 4th gear
No grooves: 2.84, 2.01, 1.35, 1.00
1 groove: 2.54, 1.80, 1.44, 1.00
2 grooves: 3.11, 2.20, 1.47, 1.00
3 grooves: 3.50, 2.47, 1.65, 1.00

;

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.