Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Interior (
-   -   Sail Panel ? (

beertracker 04-08-2012 11:07 AM

Sail Panel ?
While searching ebay for a headliner kit for my 70 LeMans 2dr I saw "sail panel" mentioned in a headliner post. What is a "sail panel" and how do you cover it?


LATECH 04-08-2012 11:33 AM

The sail panel is the upholstered board that is between the rear side windows and the back window, above the package deck, below the ceiling/headliner.
If the panels are in good shape, recovering is a snap.If not some new boards can be cut and the whole thing can be replaced.
Look in the interior upholstery threads. I think Dan Two Lakes has some stuff posted there.
I am recovering my bucket seat at the moment and I found his tutorials to be very helpful.

beertracker 04-08-2012 05:45 PM

latech: thanks for the info. bt :)

DanTwoLakes 04-08-2012 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can buy new sail panel boards for your LeMans. They are usually covered with the same fabric that the headliner is made from, but some places sell the bare boards. There should be holes in the panel to accommodate panel clips which hold the sail panels in place. Normally, the sail panel is not closed in the back next to the rear window, but is closed on the other three sides. The rear of the panel is either glued or stapled around the edge of the rear window, and then covered with the trim ring that goes around the rear window.

Here are some old sail panels from a 67 Chevelle.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.