san francisco ca , working on projet car at home against the laws ? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 08:16 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

"ordinances" in San Francisco would most likely mean over the top for anything environmentally unfriendly. That city hates cars as it is.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 08:31 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

most towns never mind H.O.A. NAZI'S
have rules the car outside needs to have tages and up to date,
hope the cars there are titled in your name,, or it will be seen as a business..
next if car outside doesn't run. make it run/move on it's own.. (here you have 72 hours..) and why my engine won't come out untill the replacement is ready..
if you are flip'n cars faster than most with a car hobby.. you're not gonna fair well..
the city is the least off your problems, the H.O.A. will not stop..
get the town bylaws, and (sadly) your h.o.a's and read them..
also, some states you only can buy/sell so many vehicles before you need a dealers lic.. here it's 6 a year.. remember vehicles( atv/cars/trucks/boats/etc) all count..
show the inspector that both cars are titled in your name.. will help..
I had one r.p.i.t.a. call on me, because I did oil changes on to many cars one day..
3 where mine, 1 my mothers, 1 my wifes, 1 my wifes nef.

read your h.o.a. rules.. you most likely can't work on your vehicles in public view..
if the next project is 25 years or older you can get classic insurance and tags that cost almost nothing, as you're working on it.. not driving it.. and that cover any stupid rules of unreg/uninsured vehicle on land..
as the H.O.A thinks they own it, not you..
I'd never ever live in one..
most think a home is a hotel to eat/sh__ and sleep at. and that it..
can't do this can't plant that, fence has to be ok'd by them, no flags.. American or not(not shocking as they are NAZI'S)
H.O.A'S should be outlawed..
Old 02-20-2013, 08:32 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
I have to toss out there a bizzare twist to the liberal SF bay area. This is going to blow your mind. If someone said this to me at a party I believe it would end in a fist fight. I would have never believed it. It is legal to hunt from the SF bay in a boat up and shooting ducks on the shore of a regional park! NO KIDDING! I was on a walk out on the "No name trail" at Coyote Hills once. Coyote Hills Regional Park
I saw a guy in a submarine looking device out in the water, freaked me out. I continued walking then heard a shot gun blast behind me! I was freaked, up until I got to the end of the trail to see a sign explaining that hunting season was open and explaining that hunters can shoot ducks from the water! Blew me away I'll tell you that!

Brian
Old 02-20-2013, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

I had a former aunt in-law in Sacramento that was all nutted up because the guy next door had junk cars in his back yard. She had to peek through the cracks in the 6’ board fence to see them! I told her she should get a ladder so she could see better into HIS yard. This guy had an attached garage, he knocked the wall out and had a machine shop set up in his living room…He must have been a bachelor. I thought it was awesome.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:52 PM

Last photo:

There is an HOA where I live. One lady in our subdivision desperately wants to be a HOA Nazi - she has suggested all sorts of rediculous rules and harassment. She is ignored. I, my good friend my next door neighbor, and my fellow car buddy up the street are the trustees! The subdivision indentures we have are the ones written by the original builder, and do not have those kinds of restrictions. Modifying the indentures takes a 2/3rds vote of all the homeowners, so that's not likely to happen. That said, I won't have junk cars in the drive, and won't be testing open headers at 3am either.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:17 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

I'd move to a H.O.A. that was car theme'd.. instead of a park no one can use.. a big x huge shop for everyone to use...
Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

then Rio Linda sounds like it's for you. Shu, don't tell the Russians out here that cause they think they're renting a house/shop.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:21 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Tucson Jay gives some good advice, keep the car covered when you're not working on it, get a decent looking cover, not a tarp. Get a copy of the rules and read them over. Some of these HOA's have been sued over the frivolous things, yours sounds a little gun shy, letting the city or county rules being enforced. Also, did you sign any HOA contract? Many of these folks are less than diligent on these things. We supposedly have these rules where I live, they are a joke, just a ploy to give you comfort for the first time buyers. Let us know how this works out please.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:00 AM

Last photo:

yes for sure Ill let you know

Im not the owner of the house
i rent the house
the owner is a nice guy , he have a non moving car where he live
Old 03-12-2013, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

at the same time i meet an other car guy with the same problem in my area
this guy own his house and two piece off land right next to his house
full of cars , and for the city he is runnining a buisness junk yard.............
and its not he first time he deal with the city

from what he told me
they dont have the right to come inspect IN your garage unless a warrant
if the inspecter ask to come in or look ,feel free to say no
any cars in your drive way , no registred , no op , the inspector guy can get them tow away right up or give a ticket

all right the inspection guy came to my house

i had the questions : are you workins on someone else car ?
are you selling cars , flipping cars ?

i played fair i showed him garage
my garage was full , impossible to walk trough ( I did set up the garage as is it was my plan ), he ask " those cars are your ? under your name ? i said yes he didnt ask for any paper
he took a picture for the field
and told me he is going to close the case

and give me the advice : dont work on cars outside on your drive way , do your work or everything you want in your garage ,door close

remember i live san francisco

i hope that could help anyone for the future
and to everyone , DONT GIVE UP TO FIX OLD CAR BECAUSE *******S
lets keep running the american history
Old 03-12-2013, 08:18 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I have car buddy that lives in a HOA neighborhood, he owns a duelly pickup, with the duel wheels on the back, and parks it (backed in) in his drive way, the HOA has been hassling him about rules they have about parking any vehicle with duel wheels in a driveway, ( susposably meaning a commercial vehicle) he told them to F-Off, and the next day he had a summons for a meeting with the HOA, they told him in no certain terms that if he didn't park the P/U somewhere else they would sue him for violating the association rules, so he went out and bought a set of Mickey Thompson wheels and 16" wide tires to put on the back,, nothing they could do,,
But when he needs to tow something he has to change back to the duel wheels and tires , that isn't cheap to do very often,, someone suggested folding a black garbage bag long ways , and drape it over the crack between the duel wheels.. making it look like the big tires he use to change out,, from the street in case they drive by ,,
So far he hasn't had anymore problems from the HOA
Old 03-14-2013, 11:06 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

glad I don't live with a bunch of geeks concerned with what I have on my own property.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:45 AM

it,s sad that people can,t live and let live. up in new brunswick a few yerrs ago a 4th generation pig farmer had a subdivision move in next to him.after a few houses went up they started to complain. long story short ,gov. told him to shut down. the only thing he ever knew was farming so he set the place on fire and shot himself in the barn .imo the wrong people were in the barn.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.