san francisco ca , working on projet car at home against the laws ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 11:25 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

san francisco ca , working on projet car at home against the laws ?

hello
im living in a house with two car garage in san francisco ca
im just an hobbiest
i like fix cars , find projet , fix them , trade them for a new projet , or sell it when its done, at least enough to see my money back and again find an other projet
i work by myself , and i never had than two cars projet in the same time
one is in my driveway and i work on it right now
i always get complaigns, i guess from one guy , saying im running a buisness
where i live there is an association , I already told them im just an hobbyist

but now , i get a letters from the city , i guess the ' guy ' send me the city
they want come inspect on one week

well please , i dont think im doing any bad thinghs
im not running a buisness

should i be worried about anything ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,143 Times in 1,011 Posts
I'm across the bay from you and depending on the city ordinances which are different from city to city it's pretty hard to stop someone from working on a car at their own home. HOWEVER, there are a few things, a torch is a big no no, probably a MIG welder would fall under the same rule (in the eyes of an inspector who knows NOTHING). Painting is a big no-no, don't even have a spray gun anywhere near your garage.

Having a car parked in the driveway that isn't registered is a no no in many cities. I could suggest you go to the city and get the ordinances on such a thing but understanding them is another thing all together! And if the inspector understands them, that is another thing all together. When I had my shop I had a fire inspection and was told I had to have an explosion proof cabinet for paint and thinners. I got one, to the tune of about $600 and put it up. The next year when I was inspected again I was told I didn't even need it because I didn't regularly keep over 50 gallons of flammables!

Keep us informed, this is something any of use could be dealing with tomorrow.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
Trucknut (03-12-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 12:41 PM

Last photo:

What the hell is wrong with some of the people in SF?

I have a buddy up there who has to sell his 66 Buick because the neighbors are complaining about it being an eye sore in his driveway.

If it's as strict as it sounds up there then my best advice to you would be just let them do their inspection as soon as you can so they can get the hell out of your hair and off your back
Old 02-20-2013, 01:12 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

It ain't just California. It's everywhere. The one thing you missed in Vincentnova's tale was the word " association". If you have a "association" where you live all the state, county and city laws apply, plus what ever the "association " wants to tack on. Hobbyists take it in the backside usually. They don't want to see it hear it or smell it. The rationalization is, "You new the rules when you bought here." It's a hard one to go against.

BB
Old 02-20-2013, 01:34 PM

Last photo:

I was thinking the same thing BB but then he said the "City" was coming over, why do they need "the city" if they have the association? But yeah, that may be just one of the things they are doing. The whole association bit is pretty tough. My son's home is in an home owners association dictatorship, holy cow! We are talking they have to subit a proposal for putting flowers in the front yard! And they have been turned down twice with their requests!

You are right on BB, that is a whole different story.

Brian
Old 02-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I was thinking the same thing BB but then he said the "City" was coming over, why do they need "the city" if they have the association? But yeah, that may be just one of the things they are doing. The whole association bit is pretty tough. My son's home is in an home owners association dictatorship, holy cow! We are talking they have to subit a proposal for putting flowers in the front yard! And they have been turned down twice with their requests!

You are right on BB, that is a whole different story.

Brian
I here that, I belong to one! I'm surprized the association did put a stop to that first! I can't do anthing out front not unless its a quick repair. In my garage or be hind my fence they can't touch me. Painting a car is out of the question but did it one time when everone was at work, So if they can't see it smell it hear it you good! Just Happy I'm not in Ca any more dealing with all them dumb rules.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:17 PM

Last photo:

here for me
its one crazy guy who give me ****
i think this this guy send me the city
not the association
Old 02-20-2013, 03:36 PM

Last photo:

I don't know what you are doing, I am not by any means defending the old do what you want it's your property bs. If someone is making noise and has junk around and cars on jack stands for months, the neighbors didn't buy a house in an industrial area for a reason, they didn't buy next to the railroad tracks for a reason, they bought in a residential area because they didn't want to live next to an auto repair shop, you know what I mean?

I don't know about this time, but there are two sides to every story. And we all need to look at the other side so we don't intrude on our neighbors home and family.

Brian
Old 02-20-2013, 03:44 PM

Last photo:

I have a couple true association stories.

Years ago a friend lived in a development of townhouses. After a couple years of being there, the association told him that some of the flowers and plants in his yard would have to removed, since they were not on the list of "allowed plants". A couple years later he moved.

Another acqaintance decided to make his house a little more cheerful than the ones around him. He painted the trim with a soft light blue color. He was then told to repaint, becuase there were only three allowed colors... cream, tan, and light brown.

The sad part is that now our Federal government has adopted the same ..."We know how to run your life better than you"... attitude. :-(

Land of the free. HA! Not for long.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:45 PM

Last photo:

believe me i dont have junk everywhere
i dont like the mess
i never had a car on stand as well
may on block for one or two week , the time too find a drive shaft but thats all
Old 02-20-2013, 04:04 PM

Last photo:

I would explain to them that the cars are your property, so it's not a for-profit-business.

Maybe they would be happy if you put a car cover over them... (not too bright of a color)... when you aren't "enjoying your hobby". :-)

The next step might be to always work on them inside, with the garage door closed.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:07 PM

Last photo:

Yeah, make sure you tell them "what they need to hear" not a lie you understand, but the truth in a way that fits what they need to hear. Like never bring up that you fix cars and sell them. You fix old cars that you own, period, nothing more nothing else.

Brian
Old 02-20-2013, 04:46 PM

Last photo:

In the eighties I lived outside the little village here. I had a "Mrs Kravitz" type neighbor who lived four houses down. The kind with binoculars and no life.

I had a 36x56 pole barn located far behind the house with an eight ft. painted stockade fence around it. From the time she moved in, I started getting notices from the local government. First about the out building size. I produced the permits.
The next stupid thing they did was about the vacant lot next door. The neighbor was building a house and was storing lumber and a truck and tractor there. I let him use my driveway to get to the build. Constable came to my house demanding Heavy Construction vehicles be removed because. I had access to it! Never heard of such a thing!
A couple of weeks later I had a new front lawn put in. New topsoil and sod. The guy doing the work lost a front spindle on the Ford tractor so I let him leave it in my driveway till he could fix it. Three days later Constable is at the door demanding removal.
Here is the best part of many problems with that township.
I traded the labor for the front lawn for some labor on the guys Mustang. A couple of weeks later I am being suited by the township for operating a business in residential zone. By this time, I'm sick of these guys. I get a lawyer and fight back. Long story short.. Judge threw it out. They had no proof whatsoever..
The final straw was.. On a bright sunny Saturday afternoon. The Constable along with several police cars and the local newspaper pulls up in my driveway with warrants.
They took many pics of my property, inside and out. Like this was the bust of the century. Didn't matter that all the vehicles were registered to me. Because I had mills, lathes, welders etc I was a major chop shop. Another long story shortened.. I suited for harassment. Newspaper had to retract, apologize. Judge dropped charges and reamed the township.. I found farmland in another township and lived peacefully, untill a new neighbor from the city moved in. But thats another saga..
Old 02-20-2013, 05:30 PM

Last photo:

Bob, yeah it's nice when someone moves next to the ocean and then *****es about seagulls huh? Hope this one isn't as big a pain as they clowns before.

Brian
Old 02-20-2013, 07:59 PM

Last photo:

This crap kind of reminds me of our last house we built before we retired and moved up here to So. Utah. It was a very nice gated community in Chino Hills, Ca. We had 2 horses and bought a 1/2 acre lot in an area that was a "dedicated" equestrian area. The neighbor next to me had a couple of horses and the 40 acres behind us was a Quarter horse ranch.

Life was good until some folks from the other side of the world built on the other 1/2 acre lot next to us. Now I gotta tell you that this just about floored me.....the lady (??) who was a doctor came out to the fence one day while I was saddling my horse to go on a trail ride, she started complaining that "your flies are coming on my property". I just stopped for a moment taking in what she had just said and asked her... my flies?, how do you know they are mine. We kept our corral and stables immaculate, picked up horse chit every day. She actually went to the HOA and the county over this and was told to pound sand cuz it was a dedicated equest. area.......some people.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.