sand blasted metal - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2006, 05:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

sand blasted metal

My new project, a 57 chevy 2 door post, was completely sand blasted top to bottom inside and out. My question is do I need to sand the surfaces before I prime them. It was blasted with nickel slag and plastic media on the flat surfaces. The blasting outfit said I can prime it just the way it is, but the paint salesman that I buy my stuff from and generally trust said I should be scuffed to get down to a good surface.What do you think?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2006, 06:39 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

You shouldn't need to sand it. Just prime with a good quality epoxy primer and do it quickly. Bare metal will rust pretty fast just from the humidity in the air so you don't have a lot of time to prime.

Good luck.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeepman2
My new project, a 57 chevy 2 door post, was completely sand blasted top to bottom inside and out. My question is do I need to sand the surfaces before I prime them. It was blasted with nickel slag and plastic media on the flat surfaces. The blasting outfit said I can prime it just the way it is, but the paint salesman that I buy my stuff from and generally trust said I should be scuffed to get down to a good surface.What do you think?
I believe that the body surface must be preped before priming takes place 1. sandblasting leaves imperfections in the metal and must be worked out then smoothed out with body filler then sanded smooth then primed then more work and then finally paint. And if the sandblasting exposed any holes then they must be either welded up or the area with the holes removed and new metal welded in
Old 12-25-2006, 07:47 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

If it has been sandblasted, it should give an ideal surface for epoxy primer to adhere to. Any filler work can be done over the epoxy primer. Any welding would require the epoxy primer to be removed in that immediate area.

Aaron
Old 12-25-2006, 08:53 PM

would it not makes sence to do all body work before appling the epoxy primer that includes all welding
Old 12-26-2006, 12:27 AM

Last photo:

You want to get the bare metal sealed as soon as possible and epoxy is an excellent base for any body work that needs to be done. You want to use the epoxy because while it is a primer it also provides a moisture barrier. This is different than the old lacquer primer, where you would get the metal rusting under the primer.
The one thing to be careful of is the epoxy is a chemical cure and the metal needs to be at or above 70 degrees for the expoxy to fully cure. To be safe I would keep the temperature above 70 degrees for 24 hours. Spokane is cold this time of year so you will need good heat in your shop.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:17 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

It has been found that, with the metal properly prepped, the filler will stick as good or better to a quality epoxy primer that has been applied. The epoxy does protect the metal from moisture that can get to it before, during, and after the repair.

If the metal has been sandblasted, or sanded with 80 grit, the epoxy is then applied. The filler is applied over the epoxy. Any areas that need welding need to be cleaned of the epoxy, then epoxy applied after the welding work is done, to protect that area.

Aaron
Old 01-01-2007, 11:41 AM

Last photo:

I had my 47 Dodge Coupe blasted a few months ago. There were several pin holes in the roof that needed to be welded up before I primed, something I had not planned for. I just took a rag with some Ospho and wiped the whole car down lightly while it sat (inside) until I could get the welding done. When it was all done I sanded everything with 80 grit on a DA and cleaned the metal with prepsolve before I primed with epoxy primer. I had the two back fenders done a coupe of months before the rest of the car to make sure that's what I wanted to do. They sat with Ospho on them the whole time until I primed the whole car. I live in Florida so humidity is always pretty high. I had no surface rust at all. If you go that route just keep a daily eye on it to make sure rust doesn't start.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:52 AM

Aaron is right on the money here.

Rob

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.