Sand Blaster - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2006, 02:37 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sand Blaster

In another thread, I'm looking for a recommendation on a welder. I'm also looking for one on a sandblaster. I have a cabinet and I'd like to get a regular pressurized tank type. I see a couple of inexpensive ones at Harbor Freight for $80 and $130. I'd like to get one for $300 or less. (I have a good compressor and air lines). Thanks.
jor

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2006, 02:57 PM
car builder

Last photo:

I have had no problems with my miller.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:32 PM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor
In another thread, I'm looking for a recommendation on a welder. I'm also looking for one on a sandblaster. I have a cabinet and I'd like to get a regular pressurized tank type. I see a couple of inexpensive ones at Harbor Freight for $80 and $130. I'd like to get one for $300 or less. (I have a good compressor and air lines). Thanks.
jor
If you're doing large parts outdoors - you'll burn through media pretty fast.

if your're doing large parts inside you need to have some type of a fresh air supply respirator ($$).

Either way you'll have the mess to contend with unless you have a seperate dedicated room then you're back to needing fresh air supply.

Seriously - what kind of work are you thinking of doing? I've found its easier and more cost effective to just drop my parts off at the media blasters and pick them up in a couple of days stripped and ready to go.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:16 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Seriously - what kind of work are you thinking of doing? I've found its easier and more cost effective to just drop my parts off at the media blasters and pick them up in a couple of days stripped and ready to go.
Rambo, the cabinet is a good one with a vacuum attached. It's right next to the garage door so I don't think dust will be a problem. (I have the air lines all set up and am waiting for the cabinet to arrive next week). For the larger parts, I intend to construct a temp booth outside whenever I want to blast large parts. As far as what I'm doing, I have a couple of old pickups that I am fixing up and I am always on the lookout for good cars. Just like screwing around with anything automotive. I am sure you are correct that taking the parts to have them blasted would be easier and more economical but - not near as much fun! Thanks.
jor
Old 11-17-2006, 07:51 AM

Last photo:

jor, HF has some decent blasters for the money and in fact they have one pressure blaster on sale for half price now. What kind of media do you plan to use? Are you an experienced blaster? A few words of caution here in case you are new to blasting, silica sand will KILL you if you are not extremely careful with it! A good respirator is absolutely mandatory and must be used anytime you are making dust with sand including when you sift it to remove gravel and lumps. Also, as has been discussed in detail in the body section, you can totally destroy body parts with sand because flat panels such as hoods and doors will warp beyond repair if you use sand on them, Black beauty or other specialized media is a lot safer. You very well may know all this already but I thought it may be a good idea to mention it anyway, I wish I had been warned some years ago before I DESTROYED the trunk lid and drivers door on my 64 1/2 Mustang
Old 11-17-2006, 08:54 AM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor
Rambo, the cabinet is a good one with a vacuum attached. It's right next to the garage door so I don't think dust will be a problem. (I have the air lines all set up and am waiting for the cabinet to arrive next week). For the larger parts, I intend to construct a temp booth outside whenever I want to blast large parts. As far as what I'm doing, I have a couple of old pickups that I am fixing up and I am always on the lookout for good cars. Just like screwing around with anything automotive. I am sure you are correct that taking the parts to have them blasted would be easier and more economical but - not near as much fun! Thanks.
jor
As oldred states and I pointed out before, you'll need a good respirator system no matter what media you use - if it's not a full face then you need a full face sheild.

The biggest problem you'll run into is that since you won't have a controlled, heated environment to blast in - if your media gets the least little bit of moisture in it - it will clump up and plug the pressurized blaster.

I bought one from HF with the same intentions, why pay someone when its so "fun" to do it yourself? Well after about 15 minutes in my temp booth my HF blaster quit working because of this problem.

That's when I said "screw this" and started taking the parts to be stripped. Now the "fun" really starts when the parts are clean and ready to go...
Old 11-17-2006, 09:53 AM

Last photo:

I'm hoping to avoid the dreaded clogging. First of all, I live in Arizona so ambient humidity isn't usually an issue. Secondly, I plumbed my garage with 1/2" black iron according to the recommendation on the TPTools site with a six inch riser for each drop and a drain valve on each drop. I'm also installing a regulator/seperator about 40' from the compressor. If theory and fact converge, my compressor should produce moist air, the moisture should turn into water and the water should show up in my drains and seperator. Anyhow, I should have this thing up and running in a week or so (famous words!) and I'll post how it goes.
jor
Old 11-18-2006, 05:39 PM

Last photo:

OldRed, what model does HF have on sale for half price? I don't see it on their site. Thanks.
jor
Old 11-19-2006, 08:23 AM

Last photo:

jor, I saw it in one of the e-mail coupon offers recently but I can't seem to find it now. This is one of those items that seems to come on sale very often so it probably will pop up again in a few days.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.