Hot Rod Forum banner

Sand blaster

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Irelands child 
#1 ·
I need a small and inexpensive sandblaster to get between the cowl and firewall of my Brookville and probably a few other hard to get spots. I read Jon's compilation of sandblasting but didn't see the HF units I was looking at listed.

One looks like a siphon unit 30979-0VGA at $30
A second is a pressure unit 44762-2VGA at $50/sale price.

I hope to never have to use it more than a very few times, and on this car. I don't want to store it 'just-in-case'.

Any opinions? Users?

Dave

#2 ·
siphon blast

siphon blast is the cheapest way to go. i bought a siphon blast gun & hose for $10 at a store that sold cheap chinese tools. bought a one dollar bucket (2 1/2 gal.) at wal-mart. used silaca sand and blasted the bottom of the floorboards on 68 mustang. worked great. total cost under $20 . hope this info helps.

#4 ·
Don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a question. I bought a sandblaster at HF. There is a water trap on the inlet but the plastic drain valve busted. Is there a place to get parts for these? I did a google search for Central Pneumatic but couln't locate parts. I thought about just plugging the hole and putting another inline trap to collect water.

barry

#5 ·
cornfieldcars said:
Don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a question. I bought a sandblaster at HF. There is a water trap on the inlet but the plastic drain valve busted. Is there a place to get parts for these? I did a google search for Central Pneumatic but couln't locate parts. I thought about just plugging the hole and putting another inline trap to collect water.

barry
You need a copper (best) air line with a trap BEFORE the sandblaster - take a look at these posts - lotsa good info.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/piping-questions-97000.html

Dave

#8 ·
HF has the little "Blaster in a box" deal with the gun and container which will do a diecent job for what your wanting. No sense getting a pressur pot unless you plan on doing a lot of blasting.
I got one of the metal seperators/regulator units from HF and mounted it to my pressure pot. The one you get with it is POS and I use a paint gun bulb filter going into the seperator. I've use my a LOT lately and moisture has been no problem. But, I do have a good piping set up in the shop too which is a big help but you'll still get some moisture anyway during summer weather down South..

#10 ·
Bee4Me said:
Box

Thanks Bee -
I just went to HF and picked up a $16 siphon/gun type tho I did look at the unit you show and would have purchased it if they had had one that hadn't been kicked around the store by every one. Hopefully I don't have more than a few corners and crannies to do or will be applying my size 11.5 to my posterior.

I have one of their filter regulators that you show ($20 on sale today) as a pre filter for a Sharpe series 707F unit. The HF regulator unit was restricting the air supply volume so much that I had to remove it - might be repairable, but.... with the new Sharpe unit and a new regulator - probably not.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.