Hot Rod Forum banner

Sand blasting Question

826 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  daoldbuick 
#1 ·
I am getting a few parts sand blasted, and they might sit for a time, (2 to 6 wks) what should I put on the metal to preserve it ? Also how long will it last ? I want to start priming when I am ready. Thanks, Dana

#3 ·
Dana, this subject comes up often and usually turns into a major peeing match. I rather it happen here than on a thread of yours in the future titled "Sand blasting ruined my car, what do I do?"

"Sand blasting" can DESTROY sheetmetal panels. I don't mean "damage" them, I don't mean "Darn it, I messed up my hood" sort of damage. I mean "&^%$# I RUINED MY HOOD AND HAVE TO THROW IT AWAY" sort of damage.

Unless who you have doing it REALLY knows how to strip the paint from a CAR, not a dump truck, not a tractor, but SHEETMETAL on a cars body, DON'T DO IT!

So, let's start with that, you have your answer to the primer, that is the easy one. Let's delve into the whole reason you are sandblasting and how it is being done.

Brian

#5 ·
Depends where the parts are being kept. Keep then in a dry place with steady temp and 6 weeks is no problem in your area. I had my car down to bare metal in the basement of our place for years and no rust that couldn't be removed with a light touch of 600 grit. Were on the shore of lake Huron. but let water/rain touch them and they'll rust. If there kept in a garage that is constantly cheaning temp the condensation will cause rust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.