Sandbagging? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2005, 12:09 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Sandbagging?

What does it mean? You know when people say "dude he was totally sandbagging today, thats why he won"........what do they talk about? Do they put sandbags in their trunk to get more traction?

Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2005, 12:13 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

"Sandbagging"....means that they were holding back until they needed it. In other words, they had the power, but they made the competition think that they didn't. It lulls the competition into a sense of security, and then you blow by them at the end. More of a mental advantage thing.

Budget RVs
Old 09-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Oh I see, thanks. That's pretty much all they do in the show "pinks". Just peddle down the track and make the opponent think they only got beaten by 1 car length, and then in the negotiatons they give the opponent one more car length and in the race beat him by 3

Mike
Old 09-01-2005, 06:16 PM
Do the right thing...

Wiki Edits: 0

Old 09-02-2005, 01:32 PM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:

Sandbagging is more like standing on the brakes or backing off at the 1000' mark to create a slower ET than the car is capabable of. There is a group of guys at the track that love to sandbag. Usually you can push them to a break out (faster than your dial in). It is hard to tell when the other car comes on strong in the second half when to actually get off the gas.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Sandbagging is sort of a mind game too.......

When I dirt raced......I was usually in the first 3 finishers....in the main event...

During practice and/or hot laps..I would work on the car.......and " make changes " and the car would APPEAR worse or no better. Only the driver ( ME ) knew whether it was better or not.........because you could sand bag and not turn as good a lap times.....

So then........ I would put the car in the trailer, shut the doors and just sit and rest. A few minutes before the heat race........I would pull the car out of the trailer.......and then win the heat race. and start on the front row for the main... and win it....a lot of the time...

Everyone just knew I had done something against the rules ( I had not ) ....and would feel that their equipment was out classed....and could not win....and when you think you can not win.......you can't.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 09-02-2005, 04:50 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

v. sandˇbagged, sandˇbagˇging, sandˇbags
v. tr.
To put sandbags in or around.
To hit with a sandbag.

Slang
1.To treat severely or unjustly.
2.To force by crude means; coerce: sandbagged us into cleaning up their mess.
3.To downplay or misrepresent one's ability in a game or activity in order to deceive (someone), especially in gambling: sandbagged the pool player by playing poorly in the first game when stakes were low.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:34 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

Sand bagging is a dangerous game to play. You can easily break out and lose. The surest way to win at that game is to use a throttle stop. Which in turn requires a weather station to get it dialed in right. A lot of money to put out to play head games.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:20 PM
Do the right thing...

I don't understand any of this!!! Are you trying to fool the oposition that your car is slow by slowing down at the 1000 ft mark? Weather stations!!????
Old 09-03-2005, 12:38 AM

sandbagging

It's like shooting a game of pool. You let someone win the first games, then you up the bet, and you show what you can do and win. You fool them into thinking you're not as good as you are.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:52 AM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

The faster the car you have, the better chances of winning. Most of the drivers in the faster cars are better than they guys in slower cars because they've been doing it longer. Basically, the real reason for sandbagging is drop into a slower class. This makes you top dog instead of a bottom feeder in a faster class. But you can break out (go too fast and lose) very easily. There is a device that limits the carb from opening fully (throttle stop). It is not a block of wood under the gas pedal. It is very precise. It is used mostly by Super-street drivers. To set up the throttle stop correctly you need to know temperature, humidity, and altitude. Thus this info is rec'd and recorded by a small computer called a weather station. Evertime you access the info, you make your run, and enter your ET. The weather station remembers this for the next time you have the exact same temp, alt, and humidity. The more times you use the weather station the more data it has to draw on. Thus giving you more exact dial in times.

In Superstreet the race track sets the ET. So if the race track sets the ET at 10.5 and your car runs 10.0s. You have to slow the car down. The car that gets closest to 10.5 without breaking out wins. This continues until there is only one car left. Thus, the necessity for a throttle stop and weather station.

You do not need a throttle stop to use a weather station. Any one can use one. It gives you an edge over the other racers by remembering exact ETs under similar conditions.

Last edited by bracketeer; 09-03-2005 at 01:14 AM.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:37 AM
Do the right thing...

Hey thanks! Now I understand!
Old 09-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Footbraker

Last photo:

I remember racing in the street class (14.0 and slower) several years ago and seeing a Honda CBR 1000 (crotch rocket) with 14.0 for his dial. I had to race him first round so I "sandbagged" .5 sec off my dial in and ran hard to around the 1000', then stood on the brakes. He ran a 13.60

I bought a basic weather station this spring (not an ET predictor, just reads baro press., temp, and humidity). I found the formulas for calculating density altitude online and programmed them into my calculator. Unfortunately I have been too poor to do any racing this season so I can't say how useful it is (after some data collection I should be able to predict my ET based on the D.A.).
Anyone interested can PM me for the formulas or the program (TI-83 calculator). The (DA) formulas on the NOAA website are wrong, it had me stumped for a while and I ended up cross-referencing them to get it right.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:15 PM

Last photo:

In a no electronics bracket race,both cars have an advantage.The slower car has the starting line advantage since he gets to leave on his own light and isnt distracted by what is happening in the lane next to him since his opponent isnt going to be making any noise or flashing any lights until at least another few tenths of a second.The faster car has the advantage because he can always see his opponent,and preferably the 2 cars wont be side by side until the finish line.The faster car also cant redlight if the slower car alread did since the slower car leaves fist.The trick in index racing{8.90,9.90,or 10.90} is to have a car that is way faster then the index,then use a throttle stop to slow it down.Under the assumption that your opponent's car wont be as fast as yours,you will be able to leave the starting line together,the have your throttle stop activate early in the run,and slow you back for a few seconds,then have your opponent fully in your sights as you run up behind him at the finish line.With dail your own bracket racing and electronics,the slow car looses his advantage since most modern delay boxes allow you to imput both your own and your opponent's dial ins,and it will automatically add the approprate amount of delay to your box{if your opponent is slower then you} so that you can look at your opponent's starting line tree and leave off of that,and the box will delay your car the approprate amount right on the starting line,this way you dont get all distraced by your opponent's car leaving the line while trying to watch your tree.None of this is really considred sandbagging.

Sometimes in bracket racing a racer will dial a few hundreths slower then he thinks he can go,and will attempt to stay ahead{or pass by} his opponent only to scrub off the little bit using the brakes at the finish line,and hopefully if his opponent is guaging how close he is running based on the other car's perfomance,he will keep his foot on the gas for too long and break out himself.This isnt really sandbagging either.

Sandbagging is usually done in heads up racing.Typically a racer may only want to get the feel for a track during time shots,so he will only run the car full throttle for a certain part of the run.I might go to a track and only use nitrous in first gear just to test the starting line.Using it in high gear would be a waste since track conditions wont really effect my car in high gear,so using nitrous for the entire time runs would only waste nitrous and wear out my engine faster.Come race time,I might look at my opponent and guage how well he ran and decide if I need to use a lot of effort or not so much effort to beat him.If he seems to be a clearly slower opponent,I might only shoot the car in high gear since I wouldnt want to risk spinning the tires by running too fast in low gar if I didnt need the extra push to beat him.Going into the next round my opponent may look at the performance I just gave and feel that he doesnt have to try too hard to beat me,and when we lne up,I shoot all the nitrous I got for the entire run and run a half second faster then the last un,and that would be sand bagging.Most racers sandbag without knowing it.I like to go to test and tune sessions with the botle in my car,but not use the nitrous.I pull up to the line and purge the nitrous,then shut it off.I then put up a 10.50 E.T on the scoreboard and all the "Little Biddies" are whispering about how that dud bigblock firebird just ran 10.50's on nitrous.The Biddies pass the info on to my competitors who own cars that run 10.0 or 9.90 on nitrous and they approach me for a race.I ask them for a carlength or the break,and they give it,then I lay down a 9.0 pass and they never knew what hit them.

Now that is SANDBAGGING!!!!
Old 09-11-2005, 01:09 PM

Last photo:

Sandbagging for real !!

Sand bagging comes from a long way back I "grudge-match" raced for years and loved it to the most!! The money was good and yes, I got 'skinned' a few times but over-all I love the action of running-what-you-got and let the best car win!!! I traveled for years and when I went to a new track looking for action all I ever did was one simple thing, LISTEN!! When we got to the track we would go thru 'tech' and ask one simple question, 'Which old boy out here has the fastest car?' You would be amazed at the info you could hear, and decide "who" you might pick a match with before the night was over It drove my wife crazy, the game, but it was fun to me!! Just park next to Billy-boy and look and listen--they would take their car out and time-trial or make a few runs and come back to make a few adjustments before the main event of bracket racing for the night. Start a conversation with Billy and listen to him brag Sooner or later the talk turns to him being the track champion in some class or other and he wants to know about your car, etc. Just NEVER reveal all the facts and say, Well nothing happening here tonight, I think we will just call it a night!! When you say this he will "JUMP" at the chance to prove you wrong!! Tell him, well for ONE run down the track-1/4--1/8--etc. you think you could out run his car for say $500.00 bucks!!! He's hooked and does not even know it!! His pride will bite even if he has to get his buddies chip in on the bounty!!! The nerve of this guy, they don't even know, how dare him come in and challenge the 'local' track champion on his own turf!! But one rule I always observed was to see his money before I would even roll my car off the trailer!!!!! Green cash talks every time After the run I would drive the car back on the trailer win-lose-or draw and 'never' allow them to peek at the motor or anything else!!! I did not want them to see the 1000 hp dragon or what else I had to call on if I needed it!! In a 3125 lb car it was a holy terror all of its own!! What I really enjoyed was the Chevy guys being beat by a 1000hp Ford in a Chevy body, my God if they had found that out they might have rioted on the spot!! As far as PINKS go I think it stinks, all a put-on for tv ratings, and I think it has missed the real game of running what you got and the winner takes the losers car. Everyone knows their car is the fastest, RIGHT!!!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.